Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After watching some of the original series I'm calling it now, Laughing Salesman is gonna be good.

My experience so far is that it is like the anime version of watching a Twisted Metal ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Screw spring 2017, gimmie spring 2018 and the Yuasa-directed Devilman reboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyO6hdw6IzU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

Never seen or read devilman, but that's cool. He's also got a film coming out in april apparently

Two films coming out fairly close to each other, in fact!

Science Saru has rapidly become a p busy studio.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Holy poo poo a new Devilman adaptation by Yuasa

What surprises me is how many countries it's airing in. Didn't expect that for how niche of a property it is

Since it's gonna be on Netflix I'm just assuming that Cyborg 009 vs Devilman did much better than they expected.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm strapping on my woot boots right now.

Time to game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That PV doesn't look pretentious in the slightest to me, tho I do think that something like that could get convoluted.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly, I think that 99% of the time pretentious is just a bad word to use when talking about media.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it can be handy when used to mean 'aspiring to depth and profundity that your writing quality can't handle'. I mean, that's subjective, but so are most terms used to criticise literature.

In some situations yeah but most of the time it can just color a discussion in a certain way that's best avoided, in this gamer's opinion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

:confused: Nobody said that shows shouldn't aspire to have depth, but if a show can't live up to those aspirations, pretentious is an accurate word for that. It's not like pretentious and interesting are mutually exclusive terms either.

I attribute pretentious not as aspiring for depth and failing, but aspiring, failing, and acting like it has clearly succeeded.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i also like judging seasons before the preceding ones' shows have even started airing

I'm judging Spring 2018 to be...good :grin:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i predict if the godzilla movie is bad, it will be because of urobuchi and not cg

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish New Laughing Salesman was good but its first episode was weak as hell compared to the original series. I'll be watching more for now tho, in hopes that it gets better because with this kind of show the quality can vary on a per episode basis.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wanna believe, but Kamiyama's projects have been on a downward slope in quality since SAC.

And Aramaki is a cool designer but if he has anything to do with stuff outside that, welp

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Another thought: considering what both of them have been working on for awhile now, I think it's a safe bet to assume this new series will be CG.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think Shinji Aramaki has worked on anything that wasn't CG unless he was just doing mecha design

As a designer he has worked on non-CG shows but as a director it has been like, 25 years since he last directed a non-CG thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

A self aware LN? Sounds epic my dudes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are a lot of longtime fans of course, but there's also a fair amount of people that saw Berserk for the first time thanks to the recent movie trilogy. The hook is that it resumes the story from where the movies left off.

Presumably those movies had enough of an audience to justify a tv series to follow up on them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My concern after seeing the first Atom episode is, it's gonna be another Young Black Jack.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A new Mahoujin Guru Guru series coming out the same month as Dragon Quest XI is probably the most perfect timing you could ask for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Did anyone try Atom: the Beginning, I don't think I saw a single person mention it.

It exists. I lump it in the same category as Young Blackjack. Not terrible but pretty underwhelming considering the pedigree they're dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Ah yes, the same reason I dislike the works of Tolkien. After all, he was clearly in support of a society of murderous orcs led by a wizard. You know, because he depicted that in a work of fiction.

You joke but stuff with orcs did become a point of contention, for some good reasons that someone more well-versed in tokien than me could elaborate on.

• Locked thread