Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

Wait did that actually happen in oreimo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's been another fairly high-profile karoshi victim, this time at Pierrot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Grimoire of Zero gave me Chaika flashbacks, and I, for one, am down with that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

Re:Creators: Strong beginning, very much want the next episode soon.

Fukumenkei Noose: I didn't know how much I wanted this. Cool music, I like that they're actually going with out-of-tune singing which really helps underline the "raw" feel they're clearly going for.

Still badly behind on lots of the things I'm looking forward to checking...

I thought the Sankarea anime felt like a good setup for things, albeit drawn out, but supposedly the original manga goes to poo poo shortly after or something.

The director of Sankarea went on to do Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, which was actually one of the reasons people were so hyped for the latter show - he elevated the hell out of the source material for his first couple of gigs (Sankarea and Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen), and people wanted to see how he'd do with something actually good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I hope Re;Creators keeps a good mix of goofs going forward, particularly for the ridiculous antagonist.

Sword rifle violin girl could definitely afford to have a bit more fun poked at her. I'd hate to think that the show wanted us to take her pseudophilosophical waffle seriously.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Which was the show that Endorph shouted at me for saying it looked like Fate/ with a female protag?

Re:Creators? Similar urban fantasy battle royale vibe, at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, just checked, and I think you were talking about The Seven Deadly Sins. The one with the gay demons, not the shonen battler.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

That one looks about as much like Fate as Bikini Warriors does.

I think it was the promo image that threw Sak off. The big bundle of characters and the black-on-red title look kind of like one of UFOtable's Fate posters if you don't look too closely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

it was boring and not worth all the insane adtrw drama, as most of the times when adtrw acts like retards about something they havent seen

Weren't folks saying that it gets real bad later on, rather than starting out real bad?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

The second episode of Bahamut explained a lot and set up a lot.

The Onyx Knights and King Bishie are complete cunts. What justifies the utter moral holocaust around enslaved Demons?

Presumably, them being demons. Hell wasn't exactly a force for good in the last season.

I mean, when you're dealing with the literal forces of darkness, feeling sorry for them is a bit of an effort for most people. Enslaving angels alongside them is unlikely to be good for PR, though, even if Heaven's conduct in the first season wasn't ideal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Re:Creators 2: oh poo poo, we've got us a JoJo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

If the bar here on out for the Granblue Fantasy anime is all the action and confident character expression ep 3 had, it's actually gonna be really good.

Characters are still poorly integrated with the backgrounds, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The younglings strike back.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

That's what most people thought about Oreimo, too...

Literally word for word. I remember when the OreImo hype first hit among Western anime fans.

I know goons are fond of sticking their dicks into electrical sockets, but I assure you, what happened the first time was not a coincidence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'll drop it if they start arbitrarily killing off the kids, but I'm assuming the show is going to be about Bland McHuman finding a way to save them all.

The general premise is, apparently, of seeing a war from the perspective of the support staff back home, who have to physically and emotionally patch the front-line troops up between missions. So yeah, there're going to be casualties.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tamba posted:

Whoever designed those fortifications was either a very bad architect or a very good salesman

Castle walls atop cliffs were actually a pretty common thing, and you can see a lot of them in a Google image search. Cliffs are huge blind spots that may be a little more climbable than you might hope, so a dozen or so metres of smooth stone topped with murder-holes at the top are a pretty sensible safety precaution.

That said, I have no goddamned idea what's up with that random wall pointing directly into the town.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

But why is the castle, presumably the most valuable location in the entire city both economically and strategically, positioned outside of the fortifications?

I'd assume it has its own walls, which we can't see at this distance. It's a pretty classic motte-and-bailey setup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What is this from and is it any good? I am a sucker for fantasy anime, good or bad.

Grimoire of Zero. It's pretty solidly OK, with the main distinguishing feature being that its protagonist is Tony the Tiger's dark fantasy cousin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched a couple more first episodes

Sakura Quest: It was good and cute. But for some reason it just didn't grab me. If it gets a lot of buzz maybe I'll pick it back up, but I just didn't get very invested in the characters

Seven Deadly Sins: They over-censored. I get covering up full frontal nudity, but I guess they were worried that wouldn't go far enough, so they even censored the pantyshots. The show that's basically nothing but heaving titties and lesbian groping ends up having less actual on-screen titties and groping than a regular ecchi show. Also, aside from all that, it wasn't very good. Which is a shame because I liked the sloth girl

Speaking of overcensorship, Souryo to Majiwaru (the sexy priest show) manages to go above and beyond the call of duty. The uncensored version only removes one layer of the garish, in-your-face censorship. Hope you've got a fetish for little ceramic fish, because that's all you'll be seeing here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why did he have to end the manga? If Kentaro Miura can just drop a chapter whenever he wants, surely the Keijo guy should be allowed the same leniency.

Because, sadly, the butt-wrestling manga is not an enormously influential cultural phenomenon that makes mad, mad bank.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

did someone say the second coming of Free?

Dude on the left has some serious Cromartie-face going on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This week in anime pick-up lines:

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/858270831562149888

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

So I havent paid much attention this season, what would people say is good? Preferably not moe

Hope you like sequels, because the big hits for you are likely to be Bahamut, Titan, and Eccentric Family. Not many new properties that'll fit the bill - Sakura Quest might be a little on the moe side for you (depending on whether Shirobako was within acceptable tolerances), and while Re:Creators may be an impressive spectacle eventually, it doesn't seem like it's going to have the writing or directorial chops to really do its excellent premise justice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This is one hell of a season in my book. Lots of stuff at least worth checking out whether you stick with them or not, moe or not.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Attack on Titan S2
My Hero Academia S2
Kado: The Right Answer
Re:Creators
Tsuki ga Kirei
Granblue Fantasy
The Eccentric Family 2
Alice and Zoroku
WorldEnd (aka that show with the title that's absurdly long even by LN standards)

'No moe' trims it down a bit, though. A bunch of the interesting-looking new properties fail that test.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I could see cutting Alice and Zoroku and WorldEnd on that basis but the others on that list pass that test pretty well?

I can see TGK and Granblue maybe getting the chop if you're really picky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Araki posted:

Embrace the moe.

I tried, but it blushed, went 'uguu', and ran away.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an actual dog posted:

in the yowamushi pedal universe rejecting women gives you power

That was an actual thing in classic Chinese literature. It's why nearly all the heroes in The Water Margin had such awful, awful marriages (and why the only happy marriage involved the husband letting his wife do all the rear end-kicking).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I don't think that's why yowamushi is the way it is lol

Agreed, but it was a funny coincidence that there were big-name works out there that made that their literal message.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Moe is good, Moe is life. Darth walrus and viggynash have bad taste and are probably awful people.

I'm fine with moe. It's just that the thread was specifically asked for non-moe recs. Please take the Hello Kitty torture chair elsewhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Shirobako: The FLAMETHROWER!

What is that a reference to, anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Is Tiger and Bunny worth watching?

Oh yeah, it's good, charming fun. Great little buddy-cop/superhero show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Yeah that's as bad as Binbougami-ga becoming Good Luck Girl.

Eh, that's not that bad. It just changes which of the two protagonists is the title character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If they're a (Tomino) Gundam protagonist, they like 'em older. If they're a (Tomino) Gundam villain, they like 'em younger. Sometimes, this intersects. There's probably a theme somewhere here. Well, apart from ol' Yoshiyuki's fetishes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Fa is the same age as Kamille and Four is younger.

But the databook does say he prefers older women, and he's got a bit of a crush on Emma. Like most of the rest of the cast, admittedly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm just thinking it would be fun if Meteora turns out to be evil. That would be an unusual twist for her kind of character, and would at least justify some of the strange leaps of logic and telling rather than showing that she's been using to get the rest of the cast on-side. Besides, it seems unlikely that Altair is going to be the villain for the entire run, which means we'd need someone to replace her, and lady-Kimblee from the opening seems a little too predictable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nobunaga no Shinobi kinda racist this week

What, did Yasuke show up?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rear end in a top hat warlords wanted more land. some of them wanted all of the land. so they engaged in pointless, petty wars until one of them came out on top. a couple hundred years later they have all been whitewashed into virtuous, heroic ancestors. it's not exactly an unusual situation.

i like the sengoku basara version better.

Don't most media treat the three unifiers as total dicks? After the Meiji Restoration, the Tokugawa shogunate was not remembered fondly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Depends entirely on the writer of the story. I've seen Oda Nobunaga portrayals running the entire spectrum from altruistic super-patriot unifying a shattered nation to literal demon. Ieyasu Tokugawa has been both a shrewd mastermind and a hapless buffoon based on the particular narrative.

Right, but I've never seen them portrayed without at least some acknowledgement of the horrific poo poo they got up to, even if it's framed as 'hard men making hard decisions'. Even Nobunaga the Fool, which framed him as a fairly conventional shonen hero, had him do some pretty bizarre and reprehensible things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eccentric Family 2 is very good.

LWA and Bahamut are also hella charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Bahamut, Natsume, and Eccentric Family are all great, but they're also all sequels. It kind of makes the season feel lackluster when there's no great new series.

I've heard good things about Tsuki ga Kirei and Sakura Quest, at least.

• Locked thread