Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Fortunately roughly half of the 4th arc has been translated from WN to LN volumes, and I would expect all of act 4 to be translated before Christmas. Meaning that season 2 may come next year. Still it's irritating to be unable to talk about arc 4 with anyone when it's such a godamn amazing arc.

From what I've heard though (watched the show, haven't read), the adaption skipped lots of the setup for arc 4 that had been in arc 3 in order to finish in time, which would probably make things a little difficult for them, though I have no idea to what extent. I'm aware they ended the show without showing what happened immediately afterwards, but that can presumably just happen in the first episode. Flashing back to retroactively introduce characters who should've shown up earlier or whatever it is they'll end up having to do will presumably be a bit more trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont care about chihayafuru getting a dub but the fact that it's getting a dub means it'll probably get a us dvd release, which near as i can tell it never did

I believe it came out in Australia on DVD, but not blu ray, and that was the only English western release aside from streaming. There may well have been a French release too but I'm not sure.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just a note for anyone who's in the UK and might be interested: A Silent Voice is now out on Google Play (£7.99 SD/£9.99 HD). It's available to rent, so if anybody's got one of the 99p rental offers they give out now and then and wants something to use it on, it's worth considering! I got one today, so that was pretty nice, seeing as I never got to see the film when it was running in cinemas here.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I watch stuff other than anime subbed, because I'd rather watch the original performance regardless of whether I can actually understand any of it.

I realise I'm veering away a bit from what you were trying to say with the rest of your post, but just speaking of comparing live action to animation in terms of subs vs dubs, I think it isn't really fair (and something I see people doing now and then when trying to complain about dubs). In live action stuff, I've never seen anything be dubbed over from the original language particularly well, and it's nearly impossible to match the lip movement besides, which makes it all look very unnatural. In animation, and 2D animation in particular, it's far easier for them to match the lip movement and make it look like the character is actually saying these things. I sometimes see arguments like "Well, I'd never watch English movies dubbed over in German/Italian/Spanish/[Native Language], so why would I do the same with anime?" and I just feel it's one that doesn't really work.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

But aren't a lot of the issues people have with dubs due to editing scripts to fit to lip-flaps better or awkward phrasing on the part of voice actors who are trying to follow mouth animations that don't match what they have to say? I don't think it's entirely fair to discount the connection between the original voice over and the animation and dismiss it entirely as apples and oranges compared to live action performance even though it's true there is a huge difference between them.

Oh, I'm not really discounting that connection, and I have nothing against anyone saying they'd rather see the original performance and all. What I was going on about was a bit tangential to what you were talking about, I'll admit. It's just that I see now and then people bringing up how live action dubs are often terrible and just don't feel right at all, and using this as an excuse to say that anime dubs are therefore also bad, when in fact what I feel to be the main problem in making live action dubs not work and feel unnatural (mismatched lip movement) is something a good anime dub can easily completely negate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

How's the dub on this?

Those first two episodes of the dub on Funimation's site are available for free (with ads), so you can just check it out first-hand if you want. Having only seen those two episodes dubbed myself, I'd say I probably preferred the sub overall, but the dub was by no means bad. That said, it wasn't as if the dub voices had much time to grow on me.

• Locked thread