Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They probably should've just kept Sin as the English title, but instead we got Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai and Nanatsu no Taizai with indistinguishable localized names instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/844429938962944002

what the heck do you sequel. i thought they like, got engaged.

Ichigo 100% the next generation.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

Rebellion is the ending the show deserves, but not the one anyone wanted.

The post two above from yours seems to contradict this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd joke about them firing their engineers again if it weren't so played out at this point.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

That really isn't an acronym that crosses the Pacific well, is it?

Remember the show from a few years back called Mangirl

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Well of course you wouldn't.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

someone post the vweem fight gif

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

Was that a harem, though? Just seemed like a bunch of gay skaters (and a couple of terrible straight guys) who all had their own individual things going on.

What is this JJ hate

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sentai smells.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

How quick did crunchyroll usually put out their simulcasts after the original broadcast. Cause Amazon took a good 5 hours and it was really bugging me.

It would range between an hour to a day or two, barring cases like the TBS week delays.

Looks like senpai.moe archives the broadcast times for old seasons: http://www.senpai.moe/?season=winter2017&mode=calendar

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

anti-anime is... anti-action

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

anti-martial arts

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

anti-anime is... not from Japan

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

totally expected

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

Dubbed or subbed?

I watched both. The dub is perfectly fine, but I prefer the sub since the dub has to switch the great pronoun gag to something generic. They also keep all the sign translations exactly the same between the two, and Taki telling Mitsuha to drop her dialect doesn't make much sense in the dub.

They said all the astronomy words right though!!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Araki posted:

Ooh I was wondering how they were going to handle that one. What did they turn it into?

Something like "There's a girl... a gal... I mean... a guy?"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

4pm is late enough I would hope a fix is possible in time, i will just have to upload as fast as i can and pray to google they process quickly

Make Dryzen host the videos for you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

blastron posted:

I'm actually pretty mad about the twist in Your Name. which is a shame because the rest of the movie was good. The current year is written everywhere. At the very least, it's written on every classroom chalkboard in Japan. And there's no way in hell that they wouldn't have tried texting each other when they first exchanged numbers. It wound up feeling way too forced.

Eh, they can barely remember the switch is a thing every time it happens. It's not that surprising that tertiary information like the year wouldn't make the jump both ways.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

:whitewater:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
vostok why

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
"These directors both make things that I think are sometimes good, and sometimes bad" is like the most meaningless comparison ever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vostok is a very shallow man.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

brainwrinkle posted:

Feels like a lot of the good shows this season aren't on Crunchyroll :(

Well Crunchy doesn't have that many shows quantitively this season, so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joker Game still regularly gets a lot of new fanart on Pixiv. It's big with fujoshi.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh good, at least there's enough data to separate male/female data. I really hope they let people cast multiple votes.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/01/27/tiger-bunny-currently-leads-nhks-top-100-anime-online-poll

I can't believe people actually liked the rabbit coffee show enough to make it onto the list

edit: erm, are 6. Gintama and 6. Mobile Suit Gundam swapped?

I checked the Japanese site, and lol they are.

Man, CR also hosed up the order too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I can't believe Code Geass R2 is in a top ten.

Very unsurprisingly, R2 was #9 on the female list and #31 on the male list.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundam owes its continued existence as a franchise at least partly to fujos who liked Char/Amuro enough to rescue First Gundam after it got canned.

The first Gundam is also at #65 on the female list. The only other ones in the top 100 are IBO at #51 and Seed at #38.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sentai Filmworks, a name that inspires confidence.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

Depends on the show, IMO. K-On or any other show about Japanese people who live in Japan and speak Japanese should leave them in, something like Gundam or Izetta or something where there's no strong reason to think that people are speaking Japanese specifically don't need to bother.

If it's so Japanese they need honorifics in maybe they shouldn't bother dubbing it in the first place.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kytrarewn posted:

What percentage of anime-watching English speakers, though?

Anyway... the way I took to read the question is "What does the Japanese voice track provide over the original if you're not fluent in Japanese". Honorifics and personal pronouns are one of those things. I'm not arguing that they should be included in the dub, but I appreciate their existence in the JP track.

It's definitely possible to carry all that into a natural English script, but it relies on context and a lot of effort, which is usually asking too much of all simulcasts and most dubs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

OneDeadman posted:

サブミットは悪い方を良く隠す

How the heck did a machine translation get submit out of subs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Here's a Japanese poll, centered around using a specific site, limited by that site's library, that was taken at season start and relies on self-reporting. no mention of their feelings on the shows beyond that they were watching it at that time: http://charapedia.jp/research/0158/

#2 overall and for men, not in the top ten for women.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

technically true

E; wait, no, I take it back, please

lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow I don't think competing streaming sites would be keen on releasing hard numbers for viewership.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Fujo! Eternal Summer Season 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

You can say a lot about Iron-Blooded Orphans, but you can't deny the SAVAGENESS of the MUSCLE UNIT.

:black101: personified.

What's the point of putting all of this in spoiler tags.

• Locked thread