Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That isn't what I was saying, I was saying that feminists should not go after women for liking things that society defines as stereotypically for women. Feminists should not force women into any role, even one that runs counter to patriarchal norms.

I don't think anyone said they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They said that japanese feminism is about transgressing against norms rather than redefining the norms, to me at least that implies that women who conform to the norms are in some way bad.

I don't think Japanese feminists look at fans of Sailor Moon and shout "You Fuckers!!!" at them with megaphones to make them feel bad. They just don't think Sailor Moon is particularly progressive in their cultural context.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Agronox posted:

We were due for a bad season. Is this it?

Eccentric Family 2 is very good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know how it can live up to the original but I am super psyched.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Srice posted:

You joke but stuff with orcs did become a point of contention, for some good reasons that someone more well-versed in tokien than me could elaborate on.

I'm not super well-read on it but I thought the controversy with orcs wasn't about whether Tolkein supported orc society or anything but that creating an entire race of creatures that exist to be the murderous villainous bad guys can be read as having some unfortunate implications. Though that could have just been one part of it I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't watched the show but most discussion of eromanga sensei seems to be "Man this is actually pretty well done, now if only it was literally any other show it'd be great." That's gotta be a weird situation for a show to be in.

• Locked thread