Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm still in the midst of reading it but if people are being high minded about depictions of sexual assault in berserk then they probably haven't read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Fangz posted:

I'm sorry to keep this line of argument going but I rather resent the argument that making things dark necessitates having 'major scenes of sexual assault'. I can think of a pretty wide swathe of dark stuff I'm consumed, both fictional and historical, without any 'major scenes of sexual assault'. (And the thing in common between the ones that have them is usually that they are terrible works.) So going 'oh I can only think of three major scenes' is kinda jarring.

it isn't about necessity, berserk's scenes of sexual assault are hugely impactful on their characters and are a big part of the story. they aren't there to make the world dark and scary, they're there because the world is dark and scary and berserk is about characters finding ways to deal with those things

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

for a series that has monsters with huge dicks for noses i was surprised at how well it handles that stuff

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

all lists are bad, unless i make them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

who the gently caress out here judging series based on who is doing "series composition"

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

like a good writer is... good but ultimately they're not doing the execution of the thing

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe stair will get his dream of new amagi after all

but haruhi is dead forever

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

Kyoani has one of my favorite directors ever and if I don't get to see a silent voice soon I will be vaguely disappointed

its coming to digital stores in 3 days in the uk, which means you can see it five minutes after that happens

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

eromanga isn't any different from any other harem where the main girl is boring because boring is safe and comfortable

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Summer 2017: its fuckin hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the brownie bits are elf yamada

• Locked thread