Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Even if it is, we're safe. The KS is at 286K with eight hours left. The last 48 hours definitely did not disappoint.

Next stretch goal is apparently trebuchets at $325,000, which you will be able to use to launch 90kg projectiles over 300m in meme fashion. It's also called Eastern Invasion and there's talk of the Holy Land, though I'm not sure whether that's flavor or references to a game mode or something. Not too many details on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So we ended up at 298k, hopefully they still manage to put trebuchets in. That would be amazing.

Hopefully they will keep us posted on how it proceeds, I am looking forward to the alpha and wondering what could be the system requirements...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, they said they were planning to put in all of the stretch goals anyway, it would just take more time or be post-release. I assume this also applies to trebuchets and crusades.

No updates since the end of the Kickstarter, except the one thanking the backers, but that's normal. Kickstarter takes a week to process all the pledges, mostly to give people a chance to fix any problem they might have had with their credit card. It's only since yesterday that they know how much money they ended up with in the end.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Speaking of fighting games, there's a giveaway of Mirage closed beta keys on this website:

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1510158/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/mirage-arcane-warfare-closed-beta-key-giveaway

I grabbed one, even if it looks like a dog turd I guess I could stand trying it out while waiting for the proper game to come out and end him rightly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yay, just got the confirmation e-mail. Now I can proudly show my forums title of "Knight" in the filthy latrine that is the official forum of Mordhau! (Never going to do that. gently caress official forums.)

In other news, you can now pre-purchase alpha/beta/standard access for the same kickstarter prices, no exclusive gold teeth for you though :smug: and you'll have to pay VAT if in Europe.

What else? Oh yeah, pretty, shiny pictures:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just linked my purchase to my forums account. It took a surprisingly long time, their site must be getting flooded.

I don't really care about titles but I'm glad my account is all set for alpha now.

e: I was sadly too late for the Mirage beta key giveaway you linked earlier. I was interested in giving it a try.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 30, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

New update: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/4654/may-update/

Optimization stuff going on: to reduce the load on GPU and CPU to keep framerate constant, stuff far away will be rendered at a disgustingly bad detail level, hopefully it will be unnoticeable.

Progress is being made towards alpha, if they can keep to their dates it's only a couple months away :getin:

Also check out this screen of a new map:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's not a terribly exciting update, but I like it since it shows where their priorities lie - namely, coding and optimization. That's what you want in this era of idea guy/artist Kickstarters.

I'll be moving right about when alpha hits, but I'm definitely still making time for it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

We have an update! Alpha coming end of August, will start off as simple small scale melee-only deathmatch and team deathmatch modes, and will be expanded in the coming months with ranged combat, horses and vehicles, more complex modes and bigger scale battles.

I don't think there will be an NDA or anything so in a month or so you can expect my ramblings about how fun it is to get stabbed in the butt.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was originally scheduled for mid-August, but a small delay was definitely to be expected.

I'll have moved to a new place by then, I just hope all my stuff is set up so that I can join in immediately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this. For Honor has run its course for me but I crave more crunchy medieval combat!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In an unsurprising turn of events, alpha got delayed. According to the devs it should be out in maximum two weeks and we will finally have something to talk about :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Anybody itching for a Chivalry-like game? Mirage: Arcane Warfare is free on Steam today, and will have a reduced price from tomorrow.

The reason is that basically nobody bought it, so the poor saps that paid for it are finding only empty servers, I read something about peak population of 7 people. Lol.

But hey, it's free, and it's not like we have better melee FPS games (or, say, melee FPS alphas) to play right now, correct?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm one of those poor saps and I actually had fun playing as the genie last free weekend (when there were actually people playing). So yeah, I'm game. My Steam handle is Bittereinder so you'll probably see me around.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Cool. Loved chiv but coming back I can never compete with the immersion breaking spinning round poo poo. Anyone know what the setting is? Real place or fantasy land?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TorakFade posted:

Anybody itching for a Chivalry-like game? Mirage: Arcane Warfare is free on Steam today, and will have a reduced price from tomorrow.

The reason is that basically nobody bought it, so the poor saps that paid for it are finding only empty servers, I read something about peak population of 7 people. Lol.

But hey, it's free, and it's not like we have better melee FPS games (or, say, melee FPS alphas) to play right now, correct?

I looked it up on Steam Charts. It consistently had a peak between 40 and 60 concurrent players for a loooong time. It's up to a couple thousand now, so that's some kind of improvement? You can't go wrong for free, I guess.

[EDIT]I mean seriously, if the ENTIRE POPULATION of your shooter game could fit on a single Battlefield server and have room left, man did you have player retention problems.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

I'm one of those poor saps and I actually had fun playing as the genie last free weekend (when there were actually people playing). So yeah, I'm game. My Steam handle is Bittereinder so you'll probably see me around.

I'll probably be playing friday night and saturday, I'm adding you to Steam because iirc you're in the Mordhau alpha too and honour demands you befriend someone before stabbing him repeatedly.

buckets of buckets posted:

Cool. Loved chiv but coming back I can never compete with the immersion breaking spinning round poo poo. Anyone know what the setting is? Real place or fantasy land?

Mirage? As far as I can tell, it's fantasy Chivalry with somehow worse graphics and plenty of ranged attacks. I loved Chivalry for the setting and brutal melee, so I'm not too attracted to it but I'm going to give it a try because I really really want to stab some people without being thrown in jail :v:

If you're asking about Mordhau it's almost literally Chivalry 2.0: generic medieval setting, warhammers and greatswords, castles to storm, muddy battlefields to die on etc etc (in a non-descript but definitely real-life setting)

Can't wait for Mordhau really, I'd replay Chiv but I can't join the only good servers: the newbie ones, forbidden to the level 99 spinning dervish sperglords.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 6, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

buckets of buckets posted:

The kind of frustrating thing is that the Deadliest Warrior DLC for Chivalry actually fixed most of the spinning shenanigans. IIRC there was a hard limit to how fast you could turn during an attack, and attack damage was keyed to how far along the animation was, so you wouldn't get nearly as much damage when hitting a guy at the very beginning or end of the attack. They just never backported those changes to vanilla, probably because the sperglords would have thrown a complete shitfit.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mordhau Alpha Launches 12th September, 18:00 UTC

:getin:

Sadly, it seems there will be an NDA, so probably no streaming / video sharing for a while...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly, I was mentally getting ready for another delay, so it's really good to see alpha will be dropping less than a day from now.

Where did you see the NDA announcement? How strict will it be?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Where did you see the NDA announcement? How strict will it be?

Thread on the official forum had info about a dev confirming on Discord there will be an NDA period but I have no idea what it entails, I couldn't bear to read through pages of shitposting to get more info (and I don't plan on streaming or recording anyways, my PC isn't exactly cutting edge and I suck at games :v: )

Edit:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 11, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

And in yet more surprising news, there will be no NDA because the game is already good enough :D

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10122/official-statement-regarding-the-nda/

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

And in yet more surprising news, there will be no NDA because the game is already good enough :D

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10122/official-statement-regarding-the-nda/

Probably a good call. Getting it out on the streaming scene early can do a lot for a game's popularity. Though maybe I'm just a little biased because I really wanna see some dudes getting Mordhau'd. :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo I can't get a game of Mirage in because every time I try my ping to every server is between 100-400 and I live in mainland BC Canada, so it's not like I'm trying to connect from the Arctic Circle or anything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Perestroika posted:

Probably a good call. Getting it out on the streaming scene early can do a lot for a game's popularity. Though maybe I'm just a little biased because I really wanna see some dudes getting Mordhau'd. :v:

Yeah I agree, it would make sense if the alpha was a trainwreck (nobody wants the first video of their first game looking like buggy poo poo), but if it works mostly fine then it's actually a great thing to show it, build some hype

Btw it's been 5 minutes since "release" and the official forums are getting hammered, so I can't get my key... damnit I need the game ASAP because the first hour will be spent in dressing my character in the gaudiest way possible, backer-only golden teeth included. Dignity be damned.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even if they had put an NDA on their Alpha, that wouldn't have particularly worried me. Alphas are supposed to be buggy rough cuts. I hope it actually ends up being good enough they genuinely didn't need an NDA though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Downloading the 3GB right now.

My body is ready :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A couple people are already streaming, it seems. These dudes, for example, aren't too obnoxious from what I've seen: https://www.twitch.tv/teripper

e: gently caress I want this goddamn game so bad right now. :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 12, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Perestroika posted:

A couple people are already streaming, it seems. These dudes, for example, aren't too obnoxious from what I've seen: https://www.twitch.tv/teripper

It looks so cool. Too bad I can't play tonight :smith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Perestroika posted:

That looks so much like Chivalry 2.0 and I love it. :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

First impressions, switching weapons and using gestures isn't working. I think it's an azerty problem, I have the same issue in Mirage. Hope they address it if that's the case.

Otherwise pretty fun, though I still have no feel for the 240 system at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Those guys are kinda fun to watch, good choice. I seem to have earned 20 "Shitpoints" for watching for 30 minutes.

Game looks fun but team death match is kinda... meh.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, oh my god: If you throw your weapon at an enemy, it'll stick inside them and you can pull it right back out while they're still running around and keep using it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

God I hate azerty, it is evil. When I was in France it felt like having to learn computers from scratch. I long for a qwerty-only world. (ps: report it as a bug, that's the good thing of an alpha - they will actually listen to complaints :v: )

Tomorrow I will let you all know how does this work with a joypad and old hardware, hopefully it won't be terribly painful

Perestroika posted:

Ahaha, oh my god: If you throw your weapon at an enemy, it'll stick inside them and you can pull it right back out while they're still running around and keep using it.

I look forward to the inevitable "pin the tail on the donkey" mod

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Throw a dagger at someone then reach in and grab it so you can throw it again.

My god, guy on the stream picked up a wooden shovel on the map and beat people with it. :allears:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Poil posted:

Throw a dagger at someone then reach in and grab it so you can throw it again.

My god, guy on the stream picked up a wooden shovel on the map and beat people with it. :allears:

a shovel knight.

Im glad i was wrong and that they are making it. Looks pretty pre alpha still so im going to wait for release before jumping in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I apparently backed this (yay!) but not at the level to get into the Alpha. (BOO!)

I eagerly await goon reports on whether the pittance I threw at it on the off chance it is good will pay off.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Poil posted:

Those guys are kinda fun to watch, good choice. I seem to have earned 20 "Shitpoints" for watching for 30 minutes.
Yeah I was gonna just watch for a bit, but I actually ended up using my free Twitch Prime sub and dropping a couple bucks on their "shitpoints" just to add sonogs to their playlist while I watch. :v: Chill guys, chill chat.

Also picking up random gimmick weapons from the map is a great feature :allears:

EDIT: holy poo poo he just threw a dagger at someone just as they threw an axe at him, and the weapons collided in mid-air and fell to the ground

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 12, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played for two hours and again I have to say it's fun, but the 240 system is going to take a long time to master. I think I only managed to do a proper overhead in combat once. I always end up slashing for some reason. I do think it's going to be an amazingly flexible system once you've actually internalized it.

e: yeah azerty sucks and I have this kind of problem all the time, I don't even know why we have it, French speakers are a minority in Belgium. But I'm stuck with one for now.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

Someone threw a weapon into my face, I survived but it was blocking my view. Not sure if you can pull it out of yourself or not...

GOTY for all years

• Locked thread