Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I have a computer that has been doing perfectly fine for 6+ months. Approximately a week ago, Netflix has been causing the monitor in question, an Acer XB270HU bprz, to flicker with a black screen only when Netflix is running.

I was able to watch netflix with 0 issues a couple weeks ago. The only change/installation I made to my computer in that time is that I installed the new Torment game off Steam.

For a video card, I have an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (yes, one of the ones that burst into flames)

I do run with multiple monitors, my second monitor is an ancient Dell 24+ which is having 0 problems at all running over HDMI.

I have tried:

Multiple cables - Flickering occurs with 2 different displayport cables
Multiple browsers/clients: Flickering happens in Chrome, Edge, and the windows 10 Netflix app
Multiple refresh rates: Flickering occurs whether I am running my monitor at 60hz or 144hz
Multiple resolutions: Flickering occurs at 1920x1080 and at 2560x1440
Multiple ports on my video card: Flickering occurs regardless of which of the 3 displayports it is plugged into
Multiple driver versions: After this started happening with no change in drivers, my first inclination was to update drivers. no change
I tried other streaming services, streaming video from rabbit via netflix is no issue, streaming from youtube and a variety of 'other' sites is no issue.
Watching videos of a variety of types on my computer does not trigger this issue either.
Single and dual monitor modes: I unplugged the second monitor, issue still occurs.
I tried it with and without the driver provided by Acer for this monitor.
Reinstalled my operating system: I started completely fresh with only video drivers installed and single monitor, still flickering.

I can't try running my afflicted monitor with HDMI, since I lack an adapter on hand and it only accepts displayport.

Is there something that changed with Netflix roughly a week ago that might be interfering with my monitor?

I am really at a loss here, since the cause of this seems to exclusively be a combination of Netflix + my monitor.

EDIT: god damnit I forgot to pick a tag, sorry :(

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just to keep the ball rolling on this one...

Have you tried installing Acer's driver for your monitor? (All they've got is a Windows 8 driver, but I'm just trying to think through this one).

Also, is there any way you can try a different computer or graphics card?

Running the DisplayPort to HDMI cable wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Locked thread