Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Lobok posted:

Monarch as Gozer worshippers.

*Goziller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Was anyone else really hoping to see Randy Jackson's autograph on the side of the katana?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lobok posted:

Monarch as Gozer worshippers.

Well poo poo, now we're gonna have a giant Sloar on our hands!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spoke Lee posted:

Was anyone else really hoping to see Randy Jackson's autograph on the side of the katana?

I turned to my roommate a whispered "Doback" when he showed us playing John Goodman's superior.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
With any luck there'll be just as much continuity between the Legendary daikaiju movies as the Toho ones.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The Toho Daikaiju Cinematic Universe was well ahead of its time.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Toho Daikaiju Cinematic Universe was well ahead of its time.

Universal did it first.

The Universal Monsters crossovers were also terrible, but nevertheless.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
If they do end up making a whole string of these, I REALLY hope they dunk on Tokyo at least once for old time's sake. The first Muto deal happened there in G-14, but most of the fight happened in California.

It's cool that they're spreading it out some more though.

And of course, Kong is based on Skull island, that only makes sense.

Here's hoping the tiny fairy-ladies show up when they get to Mothra.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I would've liked more monster variety though. There were loads of cool creatures in the first half, and the skull things were a bit generic in comparison.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Steve2911 posted:

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I would've liked more monster variety though. There were loads of cool creatures in the first half, and the skull things were a bit generic in comparison.

My favorite monster never appeared onscreen: a big fuckin' ant that sounds like a bird (but it's not)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My favorite was the giant stick insect that just wanted to be left alone.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The water buffalo were adorable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VolticSurge posted:

My favorite was the giant stick insect that just wanted to be left alone.

I was so glad it lived!

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

K. Waste posted:

The water buffalo were adorable.

Kong was friends with them too :3:

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I enjoyed this movie waaaay more than I thought I was going to.

I'm shocked that so few people recognized the "skullcrawlers". They're made-over updated Gorosauruses!

They just got rid of the dinky useless arms and made the legs the main appendage, which fits because all Gorosaurus ever attacked with in the original Kong and Godzilla movies was kicks, tail bashing, and biting. Just like this movie. Even the shape of the head and facial and body features are similar, right down to the weirdly spaced eyes and the ridge of bumps down the back. Just ditch the arms on the original Gorosaurus and you instantly get a recognizable nifty 1960s version of a skullcrawler.

The fact that we see both Gorosaurus and Kumonga are a wonderful easter-eggy way to tie Kong and Godzilla back together besides the hints after the credits.

I'm actually excited for the upcoming Kong vs. Godzilla movie now!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ramen Pride! posted:

The fact that we see both Gorosaurus and Kumonga are a wonderful easter-eggy way to tie Kong and Godzilla back together besides the hints after the credits.

Don't forget Oodako

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000

Haha, of course not! :😀

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

HannibalBarca posted:

Universal did it first.

The Universal Monsters crossovers were also terrible, but nevertheless.

Frankenstein meets the Wolfman is pretty awesome.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Ramen Pride! posted:

I enjoyed this movie waaaay more than I thought I was going to.

I'm shocked that so few people recognized the "skullcrawlers". They're made-over updated Gorosauruses!

They just got rid of the dinky useless arms and made the legs the main appendage, which fits because all Gorosaurus ever attacked with in the original Kong and Godzilla movies was kicks, tail bashing, and biting. Just like this movie. Even the shape of the head and facial and body features are similar, right down to the weirdly spaced eyes and the ridge of bumps down the back. Just ditch the arms on the original Gorosaurus and you instantly get a recognizable nifty 1960s version of a skullcrawler.

I'm actually excited for the upcoming Kong vs. Godzilla movie now!

I'm pretty sure the Skullcrawlers were inspired more by the two-legged lizard briefly seen in the original King Kong

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Horrible Taste posted:

I'm pretty sure the Skullcrawlers were inspired more by the two-legged lizard briefly seen in the original King Kong

That was also what I immediately thought of. The bamboo spider/crab monster also kinda resembles on of the things from the recreated Spider Pit scene (I don't remember if they based those on actual info from the real scene or they made them up, though).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you didn't get hype when Kong unsheathed a tree I don't want to see you around here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you didn't get hype when Kong unsheathed a tree I don't want to see you around here.

Though I'm not sure why he did that. I thought he was going to use it like a spear but since he used it like a bat, keeping the extra branches would have been like swinging a spiked bat.

But having all the extra branches and leaves taken off also gave the audience a better look at the face smashing so it's all good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Though I'm not sure why he did that.
Kong knows that style is all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lobok posted:

Though I'm not sure why he did that. I thought he was going to use it like a spear but since he used it like a bat, keeping the extra branches would have been like swinging a spiked bat.

But having all the extra branches and leaves taken off also gave the audience a better look at the face smashing so it's all good.

Kong knows that stripped trees have less air resistance. He also knows how to use a flying guillotine. Kong is smart.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aerodynamics. Kong has pounded a lot of faces in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

After seeing that shot in the trailers I was guessing that he'd learned that sword technique by watching John C Reilly swinging his katana around. Nope. :(

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

After seeing that shot in the trailers I was guessing that he'd learned that sword technique by watching John C Reilly swinging his katana around. Nope. :(

Obviously, John C Reilly learned his swordfighting from watching Kong. Japanese pilots generally weren't trained in kenjutsu, after all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I thought this was fantastic just got back , funny , unique, didn't gently caress around we got straight to the island , and they made King Kong bad rear end.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Good movie. I loved how there were small moments where I thought, "this is how people would act in real life if all this crazy poo poo was happening" like the grenade guy getting bashed with a tail instead of getting to be the hero, Reilly saying "there's one now! It sounds like a bird but it's a loving ant!" and "Kong's down let's go" as Mason gets literally carried away.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saw the 1976 Kong today and the fact that he's revealed in America from under a giant gas pump shoots it to my favorite KK movie.

Edit: Also, the crown.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Kong '76 is a beautiful mess of a film.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I saw this yesterday.

You know how when you watched the Lord of the Rings movies you could just tell that everyone who worked on the project cared deeply about making it good?

This is a movie that NO ONE involved in cared about at all. It wasn't "bad," in that yes, there is a plot, and yes, there are actors, and yes, this is a film that tells a coherent (if very stupid) story. It's worse than bad. It's lifeless. The only reason it exists is, "We need a King Kong movie to set up some other movies." Outside of J.Reilly it seemed like everyone else in the movie spent every scene mainly thinking about how quickly they were going to get off set and spend their check.

To roughly paraphrase the greatest, I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated hated hated it. It should have been called KONG: SKULL ISLAND CONSUMER PRODUCT AND TOY VEHICLE. Its body should have been burned in a trash bin. I'd rather watch two hours of a movie that was straight-up bad due to poor filmmaking, acting, etc. than thirty seconds of this unloved paint-by-numbers slog. I was checking my watch 20 minutes in.

If you haven't seen it yet and are browsing the thread deciding whether or not to see it, don't! Do anything else with your $10. Go buy $10 worth of birdseed and go dump it in a field and watch the birds eat. Donate it to an animal shelter. Have a nice lunch at that new Cuban place. Go buy $10 worth of eggs and just throw them away. Do anything at all with your money besides seeing this.

My only hope for this, uh, film, is that its incredibly egregious, endlessly-repeating use of "iconic" '70s songs over images of Hueys and dudes in olive drab looking bored in those Hueys causes massive public outrage and we can stop seeing this exact same montage in every movie even tangentially related to Vietnam. It happens literally like 4-5 times in this Kong product, to the point that even my 12 year-old nephew was like, "Do you think that they'll play Bohemian Rhapsody later while they are flying away?"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
jesus, dude, did your father beat you with a giant gorilla as a child or something?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 1962 Toho movie even made sure that the audience were aware of the difference in their natures by pausing to announce it via a radio report just before their initial fight:

I love that the radio announcer is concerned with canonicity.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I saw this yesterday.

You know how when you watched the Lord of the Rings movies you could just tell that everyone who worked on the project cared deeply about making it good?

This is a movie that NO ONE involved in cared about at all. It wasn't "bad," in that yes, there is a plot, and yes, there are actors, and yes, this is a film that tells a coherent (if very stupid) story. It's worse than bad. It's lifeless. The only reason it exists is, "We need a King Kong movie to set up some other movies." Outside of J.Reilly it seemed like everyone else in the movie spent every scene mainly thinking about how quickly they were going to get off set and spend their check.

To roughly paraphrase the greatest, I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated hated hated it. It should have been called KONG: SKULL ISLAND CONSUMER PRODUCT AND TOY VEHICLE. Its body should have been burned in a trash bin. I'd rather watch two hours of a movie that was straight-up bad due to poor filmmaking, acting, etc. than thirty seconds of this unloved paint-by-numbers slog. I was checking my watch 20 minutes in.

If you haven't seen it yet and are browsing the thread deciding whether or not to see it, don't! Do anything else with your $10. Go buy $10 worth of birdseed and go dump it in a field and watch the birds eat. Donate it to an animal shelter. Have a nice lunch at that new Cuban place. Go buy $10 worth of eggs and just throw them away. Do anything at all with your money besides seeing this.

My only hope for this, uh, film, is that its incredibly egregious, endlessly-repeating use of "iconic" '70s songs over images of Hueys and dudes in olive drab looking bored in those Hueys causes massive public outrage and we can stop seeing this exact same montage in every movie even tangentially related to Vietnam. It happens literally like 4-5 times in this Kong product, to the point that even my 12 year-old nephew was like, "Do you think that they'll play Bohemian Rhapsody later while they are flying away?"

I love nerds who build their entire personality around how much they can talk about things they dislike.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Music was integrated well in this film, kind of the opposite of Suicide Squad, for example. Not that SS was bad, but it's very in-your-face.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I saw this yesterday.

Not too interested in seeing this myself but LMAO okay yeah sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I saw this yesterday.

I agree that most of the cast weren't too hosed, but the movie itself had more than enough personality to make it at least a fun watch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The last thing I would argue about this movie is that nobody involved gave a poo poo. I've seen movies where nobody gave a poo poo. I've seen the Lost in Space movie, at least twice, for reasons I myself cannot remember. THAT was a movie where nobody cared- watery visuals, half-assed effects, William Hurt going from "understated" to "just plain done", the lot.

This is a very energetic and enthusiastic picture. The pace is really solid, there's a really well defined aesthetic style, the characters are as developed as they need to be for this sort of thing (especially if you accept that Reilly's character is more the protagonist than anyone). Sure, maybe Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are mostly there to look pretty but they're up to that. Kong is the star. And it's a good Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I saw this yesterday.

Has talking like this ever worked out for you

• Locked thread