Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Usually I'm with CineD on stuff but I thought this movie was wildly uneven and ultimately I didn't like it. I felt the anti-war stuff was totally hollow - the movie ends with a big martial brawl so clearly violence is the answer sometimes (yeah, I got the text that weapons were useless against nature). I don't know. Still working my thoughts out but: Not A Great Ape Film. An Uneven Ape Film.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know, one of those movies that, even if you don't love it, plays well on a big screen.

Oh right, that's true. I'll remove that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

Was John Goodman's backstory supposed to imply that Godzilla destroyed his ship during WWII, or some other famous Kaiju that I ought to knw?

No you nailed it.

Here's another thing that probably influenced me negatively: I had just watched Peter Jackson's King Kong V-Rex fight and I felt like the ending sequence was aping it (pun intended).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 13, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Giant octopus! Also, we're talking about a movie where a collosal Sasquatch spontaneously invents & deploys the flying guillotine.

I like what you're trying to do here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nothing bad, I like that you're trying to link Kong to Master of the Flying Guillotine! If he had popped that fuckin' lizzo's head off I would have wilded out right there in the theater.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh I got you; the 'trying' part threw me off.

There's definitely a visual similarity even if the propeller never functionally decapitates anyone, and I like that you caught it. I sure didn't.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I would've liked more monster variety though. There were loads of cool creatures in the first half, and the skull things were a bit generic in comparison.

My favorite monster never appeared onscreen: a big fuckin' ant that sounds like a bird (but it's not)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Kaiju movies should be fun

Godzilla '14 has a fuckin nuclear lizard throat-gently caress the bad guy with radioactive fire. On what planet is that not fun.

What you're actually saying is that kaiju movies should be a trifle; I disagree.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I think it was a fine performance, but the problem was there wasn't a Jackson or Reilly to balance him out. Cranston was maybe going to fill that role but then got taken out too early in the story. I really believe they would change that if they could go back and do it again, having Cranston's manic quality to balance out Taylor-Johnson would have helped a lot.

The part with the kid on the monorail is when he won me over. I never understood the "boring" protag thing. He just discovered that monsters are real, his dad is dead, and his wife and child are in a city that's going to be nuked and his response is to throw himself into his work and do everything he can to help. I guess people expected him to pull a Hudson but he kept it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

poly and open-minded posted:

I left before after credit scene. Anyone have a link?

I stayed and it's really not worth getting excited/peeved about. It's cave paintings of Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah.

• Locked thread