Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The trailers almost make it look Mist-esque, how much grody monster stuff is there because I might get to see this in 70mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

It's just a totally bleak Starship Troopers-esque scenario - it's crazy that some of it is PG-13. Kong eats a dude. It's only implied - but he eats at least one dude.

oh hot macro vore i'm down

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The major failure of Vietnam was they were unable to find a way to keep it going forever - the government could take tips from Marvel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

The bobble-head gimmick also ties them together, but the imagery of warriors or explorers marching on into a chaotic void is pretty generic adventure/creature-feature material, already. Obviously, it goes back to the persistent re-referencing of Conrad's Heart of Darkness, but it's also not that different from the opening of, say, The Land Unknown. (Or Alien/Aliens.)

It always reminds me of the dangerous haboobs in the Iraq War, which obviously represented the obfuscatory, nonsensical violence of the war itself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If we don't get a Biollante movie i'm gonna be pissed

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don't know; we've already seen a pretty big gulf between the two. Kong is isolationist/territorial while Godzilla's international or even global. Kong fights for family, Godzilla is indifferent. Kong is particular, Godzilla universal. Kong is good/godly while Godzilla is demonic - 'beyond good and evil'. Kong's violence is born of desire for balance, Godzilla's violence is born of pure drive, etc.

You two are really on autopilot with this one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Of course, Godzilla is eminently more fuckable - we'd rather bone the abyss than the knowable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I thought this was neat once I realized it was literally a film about people stumbling across God Island, it's like a jingoistic, violent Tarkovsky film. It could've been more brutal and surreal, though, they pulled a lot of punches but that should make it appealing for the church crowd, if they grok to the biblical aspects.

Also, Aaron Taylor-Johnson was a lovely protagonist but Tom Hiddleston wasn't much better (co-protagonist, at best, though).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Aaron Taylor-Johnson is like a big peeled potato in Godzilla, it's horrible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's cute how it starts with voiceover on a black screen that says "are you having fun in there, sitting in the dark?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lobok posted:

I wish. Theatre staff here all turn the lights on pretty early into the credits and wait there with their garbage bags for the stragglers to leave.

Haha yeah, by the time that happened the lights were on and everyone was standing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like this new, bold direction they're taking for the crossover with Godzilla

Godzilla's gonna have him wearing one of those harnesses on leashes that parents put on naughty children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: the entire point of having a Sexy Female Lead in a King Kong movie has always been to complete the triangle between the Courageous Male Lead and Kong but I guess they felt they'd take this film in a different direction and have Kong battle Some Other Guy for dominance and territory.

I'm really, really fine without that, it's the worst aspect of any Kong movie.

• Locked thread