Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

See it On Video Ape Film.

I don't know, one of those movies that, even if you don't love it, plays well on a big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

howe_sam posted:

But he did a fantastic job of striking a heroic pose in just about every shot he was in.

The movie is very clear that he and Brie Larson were hired to look good on-camera, while Jackson, Goodman, and Reilly were hired to act. Which is not, you know, too crazy a decision to make.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Jacksons speech during that was pretty drat good. What an amazing loving voice.

The old cliche "read a phone book" applies to him.

Yeah, he really elevates the character.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

So now the scientists burst in with all this information about these other monsters that are out there. So what was the point in the stuff about Monarch getting shut down at the start? They'd clearly had that information the whole time.

They had a bunch of drawings. Finding Kong is how they proved that the drawings should be taken seriously as possibly corresponding to real creatures.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was onboard with Aaron Taylor-Johnson's reserved performance, but, yeah, it's not exactly Samuel L. Jackson screaming at a giant monkey against a wall of flame.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Godzilla (2014) did not need someone undercutting the awe and majesty of the creatures, or the enormity of the destruction, with a wisecrack. That sort of thing relieves tension, and that wisely didn't let that happen until the very end, when all of it comes roaring out of Godzilla's throat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The skill is in inserting some tension relief without undercutting any of the awe and majesty. That's why you hire a John C. Reilly, because he can do that and also portray a well-rounded character at the same time.

If you came out of Skull Island with the same sort of awe for Kong that you did for Godzilla in Godzilla, I guess it worked for you, but it didn't for me. Not that that was necessarily what Skull Island was going for, but it not going for that would be why it would make sense to include the John C. Reilly character.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Syncopated posted:

Haven't read anything about this movie after watching the trailers, which looked pretty good imo. Is it worth seeing at the cinema or can I wait it out?

It's a good movie and benefits a lot from a huge screen. Considering you liked the trailers, worth a trip to the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I sat a little closer than I usually do when I saw this and things like the full-height shot of Kong against the rising sun were awesome.

• Locked thread