Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The only person in the cast that I could see making that argument for is Hiddleston, but in fairness to him the character required that he be even-keel and calm under stress. I think Larson was just fine, she seemed appropriately terrified/awe struck at the proper moments. Jackson and Reilly were excellent as usual, and the ensemble of soldiers was very well developed for a King Kong movie. Overall I don't see where that complaint would be coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was onboard with Aaron Taylor-Johnson's reserved performance, but, yeah, it's not exactly Samuel L. Jackson screaming at a giant monkey against a wall of flame.

I think it was a fine performance, but the problem was there wasn't a Jackson or Reilly to balance him out. Cranston was maybe going to fill that role but then got taken out too early in the story. I really believe they would change that if they could go back and do it again, having Cranston's manic quality to balance out Taylor-Johnson would have helped a lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I thought AJT was great and did a good job.

He doesn't have the effortless cool factor that a typical action hero might have, but in Godzilla he has an air of competence that really goes a long way towards legitimizing his character. For all the insane poo poo he was doing throughout the movie, he always felt kinda like a real soldier to me. I've met a lot of military guys who have that same quiet confidence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,I didn't mind him. Sure, I wish he had less screentime,but he's not Hayden Christensen bad. Although the whole "dude with barely any EOD training can defuse a NUCLEAR loving BOMB" thing did kinda annoy me.

I could definitely be remembering this wrong but wasn't his whole thing that he specialized in EOD or had some sort of extensive knowledge about the particular bomb they were using?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand I didn't think that was an interesting or entertaining directorial choice for a focal character. :shrug:

That's why I think you need a John C. Reilly type in there to cover that part of things. Sure, ideally every action hero would be played by someone like Bruce Willis who can make all the wise-cracks and still come off as deadly serious in the proper moments, but there are very few actors who can pull that off. I think force-feeding stupid one liners to someone like Taylor-Johnson would have been a mistake and probably made things even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Godzilla (2014) did not need someone undercutting the awe and majesty of the creatures, or the enormity of the destruction, with a wisecrack. That sort of thing relieves tension, and that wisely didn't let that happen until the very end, when all of it comes roaring out of Godzilla's throat.

The skill is in inserting some tension relief without undercutting any of the awe and majesty. That's why you hire a John C. Reilly, because he can do that and also portray a well-rounded character at the same time.

• Locked thread