Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Serf posted:

I really liked the big old stick insect guy who get shot a few times and just walks away. Very chill giant bug.

Also it was weird to see Kong turned into a protector of humanity, especially since they're gonna bring in Mothra and that's more of her gig. And Monarch is definitely run by Mothra in some fashion, right?

Kong isn't a protector of humanity, he just happens to gently caress up the poo poo that wants to kill humanity because it also wants to kill kong. The Humans built a wall for a reason. Also, Kong only saved the girl because he has a thing for white women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

david_a posted:

Pretty sure Marlow says the wall is not because of Kong, it's for all the other stuff out there. Kong only attacks things that attack him.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. He is not the defender of humans that some people think.

Lobok posted:

Kong also has a Batman vendetta against those lizard things. They killed his parents. Good thing he won't be encountering any giant lizards from this point on - he'd probably be really antagonistic towards it!

Those weren't lizards, they were cousins to the sandworms in Beetlejuice.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lobok posted:

Monarch as Gozer worshippers.

Well poo poo, now we're gonna have a giant Sloar on our hands!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lobok posted:

Though I'm not sure why he did that. I thought he was going to use it like a spear but since he used it like a bat, keeping the extra branches would have been like swinging a spiked bat.

But having all the extra branches and leaves taken off also gave the audience a better look at the face smashing so it's all good.

Kong knows that stripped trees have less air resistance. He also knows how to use a flying guillotine. Kong is smart.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soggy Cereal posted:

Personally I thought this movie was shallow. It uses plenty of ideas but doesn't explore any of them. The Vietnam stuff came across as cheap set dressing that occasionally veered into bad taste. (It's a spider that punji sticks you! Like Vietnam! Get it?) The visual references, from Apocalypse Now to Platoon to Evangelion, were all completely obvious and without any subtlety. The Nixon bobblehead was a cool shot, but in the context of the rest of the movie constantly screaming "This is the 70s!!!" at you it just becomes one more thing. The music did remind me of Suicide Squad. There's a lot of repetitive filler that follows these two formats:
1. Montage of people having a good time set to popular 70s music
2. Kong finds someone > he considers squishing them but does not > the person is clearly in awe but does not bring it up to anyone ever again

I think a reduction of characters could have improved it immensely. The Sam Jackson character was great, and I ended up wanting him to succeed because he was the only one who showed any real agency. I think a full Moby Dick story could have carried the movie by itself and been amazing.
The John C Reilly character was also interesting but a little too diffuse or busy; he has a Japanese enemy-turned-friend subplot that I wanted to happen onscreen, he has a crazed white man gone native subplot, and he has a reunite with his family subplot, all the while being the exposition and comic relief for the thinly sketched other characters. Again, if the movie were just about him, he could have carried it. A Reilly vs. Jackson paralleling Kong vs. Monsters could have also been cool. But there was no reason to make Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson the leads.

I'm generally pretty right wing but even I thought that the portrayal of the natives was problematic - they're noble savages (no crime or property! they're past that) that barely move and aren't even allowed to speak, turning them almost into literal objects. They're scenery and nothing more.

The end fight and the burial ground fight were both cool though, and I enjoyed the giant monsters when they appeared. The bugs and dinosaurs were my favorite parts of 2005 Kong and I expected a little bit more than we got in this one. I was disappointed that there weren't actual giant ants :v:

What kind of normal person would find an Evangelion reference obvious?

• Locked thread