Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was a Very Good Ape Movie.

It really finds a good balanced tone between the tension, the humor, and the spectacle. There are some legit good scares and a sense that at anytime something might leap out and kill people, but it's not quite Aliens-level grueling. The humor never completely undercuts the "reality" of the situation, Reilly in particular doing a good job stopping short of full Steve Bruehl. (As funny as that would be and I would bet money there are some great alternate takes out there.) Kong gets a lot of personality, and I like that a lot of the final battle is about him knowing the use of simple tools, like apes do.

This is very much a movie that earns the sight of John C. Reilly drawing a sword and intoning "Death before dishonor" in Japanese.

Also, Brie Larson with 70s hair going all Ellen Ripley, yes and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I took that as a KKvG homage/foreshadowing. Though it's also an important scene in that it establishes that Kong isn't necessarily out to kill these people, he's got bigger things to do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The last thing I would argue about this movie is that nobody involved gave a poo poo. I've seen movies where nobody gave a poo poo. I've seen the Lost in Space movie, at least twice, for reasons I myself cannot remember. THAT was a movie where nobody cared- watery visuals, half-assed effects, William Hurt going from "understated" to "just plain done", the lot.

This is a very energetic and enthusiastic picture. The pace is really solid, there's a really well defined aesthetic style, the characters are as developed as they need to be for this sort of thing (especially if you accept that Reilly's character is more the protagonist than anyone). Sure, maybe Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are mostly there to look pretty but they're up to that. Kong is the star. And it's a good Kong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

Edwards was essentially trying for a half-baked version of G'54 or G'84, but didn't have the creative imagination (or freedom, depending on how much studio meddling you want to assume happened) to make that happen because Godzilla wasn't given anything to actually do. So instead the movie ended up seeming like a much more drab and technically competent version of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.

I don't agree- I don't think he made this a 60s style "Godzilla fights another monster" movie by accident. I think he wisely used the whole worm's-eye-view angle and its attendant "realism" (for lack of a better word) to make the audience think they were going to get something like G54 but instead introduce them to the full-on unrealism of kaiju battling kaiju and Godzilla as the apparent savior of humanity.

And now he's gonna fight King Kong. The experiment was worth it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I loved that this made it into the movie- that dorky-rear end grin she has is such a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Great Burrito posted:

As others have mentioned I really like the wreck of The Wanderer being there. So in this timeline Anne Darrow et al never made it off the island. Put together with John Goodman's Carl Denham/safari outfit it was like a stealth remake inside a reboot.
Going into this movie I was like "I really hope they don't bring him to New York" so I was very pleasantly surprised. Also Log Bug Best Bug

In the movie it's the Venture. (Though it may have been Wanderer in the novelisation, which is public domain.)

• Locked thread