Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think it was just fair. Some of the battles were neat but it felt hollow because it's obvious that the only reason the movie exists is to set up a monsterverse. John Goodman was a complete waste, the Japanese girl was only there because of future movies, and everyone else was mainly bland other than Reilly. His character came dangerously close to being annoying comic relief but he was still fairly endearing. I don't think they really went anywhere with Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson's characters.

I watched the '33 Kong on Friday and the '76 version tonight and I don't know that it compares all that well with either one. Skull Island in '76 is lame as hell, but the non-Kong parts are a more entertaining movie than this one. I'm not really complaining, but it's kind of amusing how modern weapons instantly rips Kong to shreds in '76 but this version basically shrugs it off (they need to make him impossibly tough to handle radioactive giant lizards and three-headed space dragons in the future). And it's amazing that a 1933 movie still blows this one away in production design. These monsters felt a bit perfunctory and I didn't really care for the skullcrawlers all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrJacobs posted:

Kong isn't a protector of humanity, he just happens to gently caress up the poo poo that wants to kill humanity because it also wants to kill kong. The Humans built a wall for a reason. Also, Kong only saved the girl because he has a thing for white women.
Pretty sure Marlow says the wall is not because of Kong, it's for all the other stuff out there. Kong only attacks things that attack him.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Horrible Taste posted:

I'm pretty sure the Skullcrawlers were inspired more by the two-legged lizard briefly seen in the original King Kong

That was also what I immediately thought of. The bamboo spider/crab monster also kinda resembles on of the things from the recreated Spider Pit scene (I don't remember if they based those on actual info from the real scene or they made them up, though).

• Locked thread