Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Personally I thought this movie was shallow. It uses plenty of ideas but doesn't explore any of them. The Vietnam stuff came across as cheap set dressing that occasionally veered into bad taste. (It's a spider that punji sticks you! Like Vietnam! Get it?) The visual references, from Apocalypse Now to Platoon to Evangelion, were all completely obvious and without any subtlety. The Nixon bobblehead was a cool shot, but in the context of the rest of the movie constantly screaming "This is the 70s!!!" at you it just becomes one more thing. The music did remind me of Suicide Squad. There's a lot of repetitive filler that follows these two formats:
1. Montage of people having a good time set to popular 70s music
2. Kong finds someone > he considers squishing them but does not > the person is clearly in awe but does not bring it up to anyone ever again

I think a reduction of characters could have improved it immensely. The Sam Jackson character was great, and I ended up wanting him to succeed because he was the only one who showed any real agency. I think a full Moby Dick story could have carried the movie by itself and been amazing.
The John C Reilly character was also interesting but a little too diffuse or busy; he has a Japanese enemy-turned-friend subplot that I wanted to happen onscreen, he has a crazed white man gone native subplot, and he has a reunite with his family subplot, all the while being the exposition and comic relief for the thinly sketched other characters. Again, if the movie were just about him, he could have carried it. A Reilly vs. Jackson paralleling Kong vs. Monsters could have also been cool. But there was no reason to make Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson the leads.

I'm generally pretty right wing but even I thought that the portrayal of the natives was problematic - they're noble savages (no crime or property! they're past that) that barely move and aren't even allowed to speak, turning them almost into literal objects. They're scenery and nothing more.

The end fight and the burial ground fight were both cool though, and I enjoyed the giant monsters when they appeared. The bugs and dinosaurs were my favorite parts of 2005 Kong and I expected a little bit more than we got in this one. I was disappointed that there weren't actual giant ants :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread