Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought it was interesting that John C. Reilly felt like the most complete character in the movie. I expected him to be nothing but comic relief, but he was enjoyable and had a nice progression through the film. Jackson and Goodman's characters are the next most well-developed, while Larson and Hiddleston end up being paper-thin. I think they both get like one or two lines that tell you anything about them.

I loved the scene where Kong finishes destroying the choppers and Packard stares him down through the flames. Packard was a man who didn't want the war to end, and he found one more enemy to fight. I think that in the end his hesitation to finish off Kong was motivated less by ensuring the safety of Weaver and Conrad and more because he didn't want the fight to be over yet. And it wasn't until the big skullcrawler appeared that he realized there were other foes left in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ponderous Saxon posted:

I was disappointed that there were no ants - the other insects were really nicely done.

I really liked the big old stick insect guy who get shot a few times and just walks away. Very chill giant bug.

Also it was weird to see Kong turned into a protector of humanity, especially since they're gonna bring in Mothra and that's more of her gig. And Monarch is definitely run by Mothra in some fashion, right?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If we don't get a Biollante movie i'm gonna be pissed

Same but for King Caesar.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Perhaps they were establishing those characters so they could carry across to some of the other films? If not then yeah, apart from "Needs attractive leads with sexual tension" I don't know why they were written in.

I guess maybe they could have established some sexual tension between Samuel L Jackson and John Goodman and I'm 100% those guys would have been up for that but I guess the audience isn't ready for that quite yet. :v:

Edit: the entire point of having a Sexy Female Lead in a King Kong movie has always been to complete the triangle between the Courageous Male Lead and Kong but I guess they felt they'd take this film in a different direction and have Kong battle Some Other Guy for dominance and territory.

I'm pretty sure the only sexual tension in the movie was between Samuel L. Jackson's character and Kong.

• Locked thread