Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Toho Daikaiju Cinematic Universe was well ahead of its time.

Universal did it first.

The Universal Monsters crossovers were also terrible, but nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Kong '76 is a beautiful mess of a film.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

All of the acting in Skull Island is actually really good considering how 'intentionally bad' the dialog is.

Max Borenstein wrote it, so I'm not sure just how intentional the badness is.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

I don't think Edwards got the memo when he directed G14.

Edwards was essentially trying for a half-baked version of G'54 or G'84, but didn't have the creative imagination (or freedom, depending on how much studio meddling you want to assume happened) to make that happen because Godzilla wasn't given anything to actually do. So instead the movie ended up seeming like a much more drab and technically competent version of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't agree- I don't think he made this a 60s style "Godzilla fights another monster" movie by accident. I think he wisely used the whole worm's-eye-view angle and its attendant "realism" (for lack of a better word) to make the audience think they were going to get something like G54 but instead introduce them to the full-on unrealism of kaiju battling kaiju and Godzilla as the apparent savior of humanity.

And now he's gonna fight King Kong. The experiment was worth it.

Disagree. The 60s Godzilla movies were more charming and lighthearted. They had human casts that were often full of large hams - see the assassins from Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Mr. Tako the pharmaceutical executive from King Kong vs. Godzilla, or Nick Adams in Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. These movies were first and foremost about fun; the only "purely" serious monster brawl Godzilla movie of the 60s, I would say, is Mothra vs. Godzilla, and that movie gave Godzilla a lot more to do and a lot more room to breathe as a character than G'14 did. That's why I use Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster as my touchstone here: Smog Monster was weird, but if you take away the weirdness, it's a very grim and serious movie about the dangers of pollution; the smog monster chokes people to death and turns them into skeletons, basically. It's also not really a movie about Godzilla, who shows up halfway through unannounced and with little explanation to fight the Smog Monster and save humanity. Similarly, G'14 was overwhelmingly interested more in the MUTOs than in Godzilla, from a narrative perspective. The extent of Godzilla's actions and motivations as a character was to resolve the plot that the MUTOs set in motion.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread