Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Like Godzilla the parts I liked about it were super good and enough to offset the things that I either disliked or were rough as hell. Loved the cinematography (some shots were just totally masturbatory but pulp as gently caress so I forgive them), loved the creature design, loved Reilly and Jackson. They totally nailed "this is not our island and we need to get the gently caress off".

Most of what I had problems with were plot bits that felt weird but that might just be me. Bunch of deaths felt pointless like whatshisname who gets separated and then eaten alone with no further plot relevance when Jackson already had a motive to go in that direction, soldierman near the end whose heroic death gets totally chumped on by the big Skullcrawler which was amusing but bought his friends zero extra time. Felt like a few scenes had Jurassic World-style issues like that. Also the joke about the Skullcrawler name didn't land for me at all. It's a great name John!

Overall though a fun as hell ride, gonna see if I can get some people to see it with me next time.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also I'm shocked I forgot to mention the best character, taken from us far too soon: Bobblehead Nixon. That guy needs more work.

Hand Knit posted:

To the stuff you spoilered:

Both work to undercut some of the mythology surrounding the greatness of the military, which is central to this movie and its themes. The guy who tries to sacrifice himself gets chumped because the giant skullcrawler represents [war, etc] and you can't stop war by doing heroic war things. You just end up dead in war. Similarly, it's important that the desire to leave no man behind is just a cover for revenge. It's a noble-sounding myth that Packard uses to get the rest of the soldiers (and the LANDSAT guy) to aid him in his quest for bloody revenge. And Packard is definitely a guy who wants eternal war.
That's really good and hope it was what they were going for.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The trailers almost make it look Mist-esque, how much grody monster stuff is there because I might get to see this in 70mm.
A whooole bunch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Though I'm not sure why he did that.
Kong knows that style is all.

• Locked thread