Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Poor Boy's little "Hoitsu!" when talking to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I ended up buying this on PSN. drat you Chorps.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to show off failed kissing attempts? I think each character has a different way of inflicting pain on you, but some of them are uniquely special beyond punching you.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I may have missed it but what's the deal with the guy that shows up in the tunnel from time to time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I may have missed it but what's the deal with the guy that shows up in the tunnel from time to time?

It's a secret to everyone :ssh:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ZeusCannon posted:

He looks to be selling stuff that is too expensive for your poor family to buy.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, even after clearing his name, Chorps' struggles are never over. He's been suspected of helping Mr. Yamada steal the Love Letter Set from Mr. Suzuki! It's off to the Worldly Desires Temple for him, in order to track down Yamada and sort this whole thing out. And when he gets there, the first trial on Chorps' path for Anime's love reveals itself!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Mr. Inoue
A retired teacher who now lives in the Worldly Desires Temple cemetery. He seems to have issues with the current temple monk’s wooden gong.

Monk Hoichi
The head monk of Worldly Desires Temple. He spends all day going out begging for money. He loves all people, especially those that make donations.

Bell
The daughter of Monk Hoichi and a follower of the Worldly Desires Temple. She handles temple maintenance, and is concerned about the temple bell.

Hasty Wizard
A 20,000-year-old man with a love for jogging. Perhaps if you followed him you could discover his secret to fast travel and longevity.

Mr. Frog
A frog with a water lily parasol. Whenever he hears the temple’s bell, he knows that it’s time for a short swim.

Agony Man
A distressed man in constant pain. He’s not actually scary, but his stretching is a little unsettling.

mateo360 posted:

I ended up buying this on PSN. drat you Chorps.

Good.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you going to show off failed kissing attempts? I think each character has a different way of inflicting pain on you, but some of them are uniquely special beyond punching you.

I think I might stumble into some later, but for the most part I haven't since I'm always worried about accidentally dying because some rando does too much damage.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I thought the background music was "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck for a second there.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So everyone just casually knows we're poor and doesn't mind saying so, we get blamed for any crime we get close to, and if we're on the street at night the police might shoot us with no questions asked?

If this wasn't a Japanese game I'd think they were trying to say something.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Wow, Jamesman had it a lot rougher with Miss Thick Glasses.

Also just you guys wait, this game can be a complete motherfucking bastard at times and especially at night.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kangra posted:

So everyone just casually knows we're poor and doesn't mind saying so, we get blamed for any crime we get close to, and if we're on the street at night the police might shoot us with no questions asked?

There is a curfew at night. There is more to the cop that makes his deal funny if I was not terrified of the nights in that town.

Agony Man is totally a surviving Pillar Man.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I remember this game. I have it for the PS2, don't remember where I bought it. But yes, night time is a BITCH to deal with, especially with the policeman lurking about, and that other character you saw. >_< I almost want to replay it, except I have other games eating my soul at the moment. Ahhh Chulip, so weird, so funny, so....random at times. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, you guys' reactions are great. :3: Also, have you been checking the dumpsters and trashcans? I know half the time you just find poop, but once in awhile, you get lucky.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kangra posted:

I can't believe Chorps is LPing a review copy of Persona 5.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Music Junkie posted:

I remember this game. I have it for the PS2, don't remember where I bought it. But yes, night time is a BITCH to deal with, especially with the policeman lurking about, and that other character you saw. >_< I almost want to replay it, except I have other games eating my soul at the moment. Ahhh Chulip, so weird, so funny, so....random at times. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, you guys' reactions are great. :3: Also, have you been checking the dumpsters and trashcans? I know half the time you just find poop, but once in awhile, you get lucky.
I know mine was Gamestop exclusive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't decide whether or not I want an explanation of why all of our teachers are inanimate objects with faces, or if I want the game to play it completely straight and never address it.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
okay making the dash a secret upgrade is kind of dumb, especially when the game is so heavily based around timed events.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right from Jamesman's LP, the game came with a strategy guide. Maybe it told you how to get the dash?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I can't decide whether or not I want an explanation of why all of our teachers are inanimate objects with faces, or if I want the game to play it completely straight and never address it.

Some of them have legs too.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If I remember right from Jamesman's LP, the game came with a strategy guide. Maybe it told you how to get the dash?

There is a guide in the game manual, but it doesn't tell you about what you get for kissing people, just how to. And where they are, and when they come out, and how much damage they do if you kiss them wrong, which could've helped me if I'd thought to show off kiss failures. It also notes that eventually you will gain the ability to run. The manual has a surprisingly in-depth walkthrough for the game, which seems weird for a game about exploring rural Japan, but I could not imagine having as much fun with the game if that didn't exist.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think adding in the guide in the manual is a really good idea. Sometimes the game can get frustrating if things go poorly for the poor boy. Having that to fall back on can help. Especially for the times when the Underground Residents come out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Warmal posted:

I think adding in the guide in the manual is a really good idea. Sometimes the game can get frustrating if things go poorly for the pompous boy. Having that to fall back on can help. Especially for the times when the Underground Residents come out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Heavy Sigh posted:

This is going to be magical. But isn't 12 a little too young to be trying to woo the girl of your dreams?

Well, can't say I had dreams of her but first grade Leal was trying to pick up on a classmate. He would throw sticks at trees with budding flowers and give them to said girl. Never succeeded. Clearly I should of wrote her a letter.

E: Also the classism in this game is hilarious.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 29, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I actually remember seeing this in my local Gamestop back when it was being sold. It's kind of nice that it's on the PSN (under "PS2 Classics", which got a chuckle from me) and for $10 I may just pick it up. I feel like even if you are familiar with the game the sheer experience of it can make multiple playthroughs fun.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Kangra posted:

Given what else goes on at night around these parts, the vibe from Long Life Town and environs feel less like socio-political commentary and more like Silent Hill Lite.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Poor Boy needs to talk to the Monk in order to figure out his wooden gong problem, but he's too cheap to talk to us! They say money talks, so we'll put that to the test after working hard and kissing strangers for more pocket change! Afterwards, maybe we can start to move forward with helping to fix Monk Hoichi's shrine...

Characters Introduced This Episode

Chuck
A leather loving man living in the hospital. If only he’d stop swinging from his chain…

Yodzilla
A reasonably sized monster with a love for destruction. He enjoys stomping around the park, but gets tired if he does it too much.

Chopper
A girl who likes spinning. Maybe if you could spin as well as her, she’d open up to you.

Jamtrak 415
A train otaku. He seems to enjoy following the train schedules, and playing in the park.

Snobby Tengu
A yokai living in the cemetery. He loves to jump from gravestone to gravestone, but he has difficulty keeping balance with his large nose.

Voodoo Doll
A literal straw man, cursed to stay on this mortal plane. He vents a lot in the middle of the night, but doesn’t have too much stamina.

Eggplant Boy
A boy with an eggplant for a head. As he said, an eggplant is an eggplant. Simple, no?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to check out the forest in WDT?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I really like how each character has their own unique "voice" with a different pitch and even different patterns of gibberish. It helps distinguish them and make the world feel diverse.

Also the temple music with the deep-voiced scatting makes me smile.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, it's the end of the first story in the Love Letter Set arc! Young Chorps grabs everything he needs to solve the temple's gong problem, finding the clues that Monk Hoichi's father left behind. We also clean out the rest of the kisses available in our neighborhood, and maybe learn a little about happiness along the way.

No new characters this episode! Next episode we'll have quite a few though!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you going to check out the forest in WDT?

All I've ever found there is poop, I'm not aware of anything terribly interesting in the forest. If I'm wrong though let me know and I may be able to record something.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 13, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

WHOOPS I just realized I uploaded the no commentary version on accident, this is what I get for not checking! Back in a bit.

EDIT: Alright, the banner link has been fixed! Sorry about that, folks!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That... sure was the moon when you were climbing those steps.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think at this point, there are very few ways you can instantly die and none of them are obvious.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Tenebrais posted:

That... sure was the moon when you were climbing those steps.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who saw that

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh hey, you're giving each Love Letter Set piece to Suzuki when you actually get them since the game automatically boots you to the next day when you give him any of the three pieces meaning that waiting until you got all three pieces is just going to waste time.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 10, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just want to say that this is a beautiful LP :allears:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
how did none of you comment on this?????

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
That is a really historical graveyard for such a humble town, no wonder they look down on newcomers.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

How on Earth did these guys expect anyone ever to figure out these stupid puzzles?

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Now there's a moon that needs a kiss and this game is strange enough I could see it happening.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ratoslov posted:

How on Earth did these guys expect anyone ever to figure out these stupid puzzles?
Trial and error and tons of reading and waiting. This game isn't for twitch gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it appeals more to the Hitbox crowd.

• Locked thread