Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

So they kind of brought this up in the LP but is there a larger time limit at play such that you get a game over if too many days go by? I hope not because I absolutely hate that poo poo.

VVVVVVV: I'm glad, and that really seems to tie into the laid back nature of the game.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The only time limit you have to wrestle with is the daily timer. There's nothing stopping you from just sleeping 30 days away, at least as far as I know. You're free to trail and error your way to every solution as you please.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

how did none of you comment on this?????

Why comment on the perfectly normal moon??? I guess it is a little large but still.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evilspacehopper posted:

Now there's a moon that needs a kiss and this game is strange enough I could see it happening.

Quit giving away my Majora's Mask romhack ideas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks fine to me.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^beaten drat

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

how did none of you comment on this?????

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
wasn't there issues with some copies of chulip? like some of the discs wouldn't work at all or something like that? i've wanted to play this myself but i heard about that and got scared off. shame since this game is so cute and i'm interested in whatever yoshiro kimura's been involved with

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Flac posted:

wasn't there issues with some copies of chulip? like some of the discs wouldn't work at all or something like that? i've wanted to play this myself but i heard about that and got scared off. shame since this game is so cute and i'm interested in whatever yoshiro kimura's been involved with

You can get it on psn for :10bux:.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Flac posted:

I think this is just because it's a "blue disc" PS2 game. I had to change the CD read speed to fast and turn my PS2 sideways to get Chulip to run because of that but I'm not aware of other issues.
I wish I had known about these fixes when I still owned a copy of ICO.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

I think this is just because it's a "blue disc" PS2 game. I had to change the CD read speed to fast and turn my PS2 sideways to get Chulip to run because of that but I'm not aware of other issues.

A piece of tape on each side of the center hole and whammo, they run perfectly. Pretty much all of my blue discs still have their tape to this day.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

FunkMonkey posted:

You can get it on psn for :10bux:.

don't own a ps3 or ps4 :(

ChorpSaway posted:

i figured it would be a blue disc, since this was an early-ish ps2 game in japan. i thought it was something more serious, like a manufacturing error, but it could be i'm remembering it wrong or i got the info from somebody who didn't understand how blue discs worked.

those things were so weird. the quick fixes weren't enough for me and i had to mess with the disc-read laser to play blue disc games. once i had a ps2 that ONLY played blue discs, no matter how much i fiddled with it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flac posted:

don't own a ps3 or ps4 :(

i figured it would be a blue disc, since this was an early-ish ps2 game in japan. i thought it was something more serious, like a manufacturing error, but it could be i'm remembering it wrong or i got the info from somebody who didn't understand how blue discs worked.

those things were so weird. the quick fixes weren't enough for me and i had to mess with the disc-read laser to play blue disc games. once i had a ps2 that ONLY played blue discs, no matter how much i fiddled with it.

Oh man, I had a ps2 with that exact issue. It would randomly decide to play silver discs (if I got lucky I could play one once every 4 days) but had no problems with blue discs. Then I got another ps2 that couldn't read blue discs....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

If I remember correctly with the original beefy PS2s the issue lay with the magnets that lifted the disc in the tray. The blue and traditional discs were of subtly different thickness and weight that the magnets would gently caress up and not hold certain kinds steady. This is why you'd frequently hear a soft grinding while the system spun up, which was the disc wobbling and tapping the sides. The tape trick I mentioned would give blue discs just enough extra thickness/balance to correct the matter, which really goes to show you how sensitive it was.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 16, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Happy Easter, let's celebrate with kisses! Now that we've finished the first fetch quest for Mr. Suzuki, young Chorps is taking a break from his ultimate quest to learn more about his town, and love. We're gonna check out the other half of Long Life Town, and maybe it's about time we took a bath. Yeesh.

Characters Introduced This Episode

Tin Signboard
A man wearing an advertisement sign on his back. He doesn't want people to notice or pay attention to him, but he's pretty bad at hiding.

Dr. Fill
A middle-aged inventor. He seems to be on the verge of a great discovery, but something's missing...

Eucalyptuski
An athletic koala who's training for the Olympics. His specialty is the backflip jump. Someone should show him appreciation for his hard work.

Pinch Poncho
A Peruvian culture enthusiast with a hot new song. He enjoys games of Red Light, Green Light.

Leo
The Long Life Town's bathhouse owner. He's rather knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, particularly tea brewing. He has a particular appreciation for the arts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was hoping for a good streaking like with Saints Row, but it was not meant to be.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pinch Poncho is currently my favorite resident; he seems like my kind of guy.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
I might be overthinking it, but the joke with the wooden gong "sounding good" might be that it sounds like it's saying yoi, yoi, yoi or good in Japanese. So it sounds good because it literally says good? I dunno, weird Japanese game?

The fortune teller actually starts accepting you from 4pm onward. You can also get him to trigger more than once per day and I don't even think it's random (at least I've gotten him to stop me like every time I go through until he stops talking to you, which is the time I think you just hit in the video before you entered the tunnel the second time), but the hint might be the same for each day? The fortune is different, this game isn't nice enough to give you unlimited uses of a health restoration thing like that.

Thing about the fortune teller's hint about the correct way to take a bath? It's wrong. Either there was a mistranslation somewhere or I was just dumb and didn't realize some line meant what it was supposed to mean, but when I took notes when I tried playing through this game as blind as possible, the notes I took did not mention anything about standing on the bucket.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wordplay like that is a classic "dad joke" calibur type of humor in Japan which fits the tone of this game perfectly, so you're probably right.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: DOUBLE UPDATE TIME!! :siren:

Today, Chorps continues his kissin' mission around town! Today, he sets his sights on wooing Anime's father, Goro, through their shared appreciation of the arts. It's time to show him that we are a valid candidate for Anime's love, and that we're cultured! That won't stop him from kissing a couple underground residents along the way, or having a tea date with our new friend Leo though. Gotta take time for ourselves.
Oh, and if you love Japanese train lines, you'll love one of the kisses this episode!

And on today's bonus update, I come to you from the future, to show you all of the movies that you can collect in the game! We'll slowly find them over the course of the LP, but since we just unlocked the ability to watch them, I thought it'd be good to show off their contents now.
Also, though I've done a decent amount of searching, I haven't been able to find a full archive of these collectibles OR translations for their contents, so I think this might be the first internet video to compile them all in this way! Breaking new internet ground.

Characters Introduced This Episode

Turtle Boy
A turtle living in Leo's home. He loves to figure draw, but can't seem to find a subject.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was hoping for a good streaking like with Saints Row, but it was not meant to be.

Young Chorps is a respectful, law-abiding citizen and would not act on such debauchery.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm extremely happy with that Shinkansen gag. 10/10, game of the century.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Also loved the train puzzle. That sort of thing would never make it through localization today, and I'm pretty glad they kept it intact.

Going to point out that Leo serving tea was one of the most unintentionally disgusting things I've seen in a game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
That is a lot more movies than I thought would be in this game. Jesus Christ.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FunkMonkey posted:

Also loved the train puzzle. That sort of thing would never make it through localization today, and I'm pretty glad they kept it intact.

Going to point out that Leo serving tea was one of the most unintentionally disgusting things I've seen in a game.

Yes that was unsettling. Just gross.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

marshmallow creep posted:

Yes that was unsettling. Just gross.

It reminds me of the sort of mundane horror that Jan Švankmajer taps into in his stop motion Alice in Wonderland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ChdjkoqEY&t=137s

It's all very reasonable, in a weird way. Obviously, the lion is gonna barf into the tea cup. That just makes sense. The fact that it's gross and creepy is almost just a byproduct.

Miz Kriss posted:

That is a lot more movies than I thought would be in this game. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, it's like a little art project inside the game. They're kind of cheap-looking, but I like that the films mostly have a decent aesthetic. The weirdest one to me was the stop motion puppet-film (8:00). They couldn't even be arsed to animate them turning their heads and poo poo. Why even bother making puppets in the first place?

And More fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 24, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Trying to think of other games that have used puzzles that draw upon real-world location knowledge, because drat that train puzzle seems like it would be hard if you're not from Japan (which they probably didn't expect anyone who played this game to be!)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

C-Euro posted:

Trying to think of other games that have used puzzles that draw upon real-world location knowledge, because drat that train puzzle seems like it would be hard if you're not from Japan (which they probably didn't expect anyone who played this game to be!)

The only other thing I can think of is the Investigation Missions in The Secret World, which were some crazy National Treasure-esque bullshit a lot of the time.

The train thing seems almost even more obtuse, though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I've used the Tokyo rail system extensively over several visits and there is no way in hell I'd be able to do that without looking it up. That's legit "enthusiast" knowledge.

I guess I've only used the shinkansen line twice in my life though.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 25, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Tokaido Shinkansen is the most important long-distance rail line in Japan, and maybe in the world, so in context, I think a Japanese person would at least recognise those stations as its major stops. Even if they didn't know the exact order off the top of their head, they'd at least know what to look up. If you're a foreigner, though? Good luck, fucker.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I recognized what he was saying and what it signified immediately, but yes, I'd never know the order without reference. However famous it may be, I doubt most Japanese I've acquainted myself with would either. Not even because it'd be hard to find out, but simply because that's the kind of trivia you're not going to bother to keep in your mind unless it's a regular part of your life.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
My anonymous sources seem to agree.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Clearly that guy earned his smooch then.

Moving on, when you compare it to his contemporaries, poor Goro's film wasn't that bad; at least there was some tepid anticipation. Cheapo move roping your daughter into being in your movie though.

Arguably the best one was Evil Cross, since the punchline actually got a very slight chuckle out of me.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2017

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

C-Euro posted:

There's always that one Shakespeare puzzle in one of the Silent Hill games, though only on hard difficulty.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

carmen sandiego requires the most intimate knowledge of the real world, ya maroons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edutainment doesn't count, obviously.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Obviously League of Legends. Economics, resource management, conflict resolution, making intuitive assessments of my opponents' intelligence and capabilities based on their accent and political views. I would say my ranking is equivalent to at least two doctrates.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Megaman Legends 2 has a 100 question quiz that gets you a part for creating an end game weapon. All of them are real world trivia questions, like "what did Jimi Hendrix do to his guitar in 1967?"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Trick question: Hendrix was framed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Whammiewazzle posted:

Megaman Legends 2 has a 100 question quiz that gets you a part for creating an end game weapon. All of them are real world trivia questions, like "what did Jimi Hendrix do to his guitar in 1967?"
Just take the million.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's the last video for our first kissing detour in our story! In this one, we clean up a few more kisses in Long Life Town, say goodbye to the park, and help solve a mystery!
In the next video, we'll return to the Love Letter Retrieval story.

:siren: PODCAST UPDATE! :siren:

Youtube

MP3 Download

A new LP thread, a new start to shilling for my podcast that I do about anime!
Today, I'm joined by my friend SweetNAwful to talk about the themes of 1997's Revolutionary Girl Utena, and explore what the show has to say about relationships and the way people confine themselves to pre-defined roles!

Also I'm not gonna claim that the Gungrave VR game being in production may have been thanks to my comprehensive series LP from earlier this year but also I am definitely claiming that my LP caused Gungrave VR to come into existence.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2017

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ChorpSaway posted:

A new LP thread, a new start to shilling for my podcast that I do about anime!

Jeez Chorps, it's pretty creepy to have a whole podcast series about the girl you have a crush on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What a boring zombie invasion. Just death and a doll.

• Locked thread