Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This episode was brought to us by what? I have to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess there was supposed to be a very Japanese joke about the human bell reveal that made Chorps frown like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh thank god, I've been really missing those silly additions like the health and super bar in that battle minigame.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
It's pretty messed up that Bell screamed "Father!" right after you kissed her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

It's pretty messed up that Bell screamed "Daddy!" right after you kissed her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This game is going to places I can say I was not at all expecting.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I can't believe that the game gave you a full super meter and you didn't use any of it. Way to miss out on the special kiss finisher.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't think this game could get more strange and then we get the Bell Humans twist.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Terry Bogard cap throw was the highlight of the video to me.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I watched the video in the middle of the night and don't remember the part of the commentary that inspired this but

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I'm gonna out myself as a nerd and say that I always thought to myself that Chulip takes place inside the Shin Megami Tensei universe and that Poor Boy grows up to be Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th.

The reason you never learn his backstory in his games is because he faked his death to escape the shame of the events of this game

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 28, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we caused a lot of trouble in order to get Bell's kiss, and today we're going to try and make amends! Goro has been sent to the graveyard for his crimes, and Julie's been devastated by the news that she may never see her husband again. With a sense of justice and a little bit of civil disobedience, it's up to young Chorps to do the time in order to save Goro and help to fix a strained marriage!

:siren: ALSO PODCAST TIME! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

Today, I'm joined by my friend qb to talk about a bizarrely beautiful series, Humanity Has Declined! The fairies look a little like Chulip characters, but might be a little more devious and dangerous than even Policeman.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I watched the video in the middle of the night and don't remember the part of the commentary that inspired this but

I love him, the big burly boy.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 30, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you don't try to save Goro in time, he will shake the world every day until you finally free him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I like how you get a crime stamp for telling Mr. Policeman (nominative determinism in action!) that you stole something, rather than getting caught stealing.

Also that breaking (someone else) out of the graveyard jail and selling smokes to a child aren't crimes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I forgot if this was brought up before but it's easy to get the train by going to WDT and FBF but only to learn what you need to do, going to SCF and digging though the junkyard at the far corner passed 20 year old guy's hole, returning to LLT and kissing the conductor to unlock the pass, and finally selling the junk to Cheapot to get enough money for the pass as well as other supplies.

Ideally you want to get it early so it'll pay for itself but you still have a lot to do, mainly in SCF.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dragonatrix posted:

I like how you get a crime stamp for telling Mr. Policeman (nominative determinism in action!) that you stole something, rather than getting caught stealing.

Also that breaking (someone else) out of the graveyard jail and selling smokes to a child aren't crimes.

The only crimes are smoking, stealing, streaking, and slapping.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This loving game just keeps getting better.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The only crimes are smoking, stealing, streaking, and slapping.

My only pleasures in life, loving fascists.

E: also holy poo poo I totally called it on the kiss condition for the cop.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time to recover the last item in the Love Letter Set, the fountain pen! For this task, Young Chorps must prove that he believes in UFOs, and after seeing something crash land into Scarecrow Field, he'll be led on a path of self-discovery and understanding.
We're almost at the end, folks!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Alien
An extraterrestrial who crashes into Scarecrow Field. They don't speak nor understand your language, but there seems to be a connection between them and some artifacts in the area...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The alien is required for the main plot? How are you supposed to figure out you need the cola.

Also most of the alien language was just random Japanese words, it seems like. Wonder if they were in English in the original.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sundoko clearly means 'kiss' based on context, so the last line is "I'll give you a kiss. Please, accept it!"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
We have finished the love letter set but that does not meant the game is over. However, it does mean that I can share what I consider the best optimized path based on both this and Jamesman's play through:
  • First and foremost, collect a lot of the valuable garbage and sell it to Cheapot. Bare in mind that this will likely require multiple trips. I'd also recommended kissing Leo, Sniper, and Target while you you do this.
  • Next, get Goro sent to the Graveyard as well as the run ability. This may require completing the wooden gong quest so bare that in mind and kissing Agony Man is also recommended. Then you'll also need to kiss Thief Tip Toe IV and get sent to the graveyard yourself as Julie gives you a ticket back to Long Life Town when you free yourself and Goro.
  • Lastly instead of going home, go to Funny Bone Factory and talk to the teacher there. You'll also get the help wanted ad but don't worry about actually doing anything here. Once you return home, you'll kiss the conductor which allows you to buy the train pass. If you've completed the gong quest by this point, talk to Suzuki and turn in the love letter set piece.
And now, you should have the Train Pass meaning you should be set for the rest of the game.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Demicol posted:

The alien is required for the main plot? How are you supposed to figure out you need the cola.

If anyone in the thread knows this, please let me know, I'm genuinely interested. I've tried talking to the alien while up on the beacon and also tried interacting with the screen, but I've never found a message that hints at anything for the cola. I guess it could be a fortune teller hint or something but I'm surprised for something story-relevant I couldn't find the clue for the Funny Cola.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Funny Cola explanation is a really big stretch. Drinking it harms you, but that generally means there is another use for it, much like the dead bugs you have no reason to get. The star seeds grow piano notes, which, if you watched certain alien encounter movies, the people relied on using musical notes to communicate. The whole segment with the random stuff you buy basically leads to a recreation of the space phone in ET. Since you can't drag a piano up the ladder, you needed a crude tool that can reproduce those notes in his machine. He was able to make a communications device that operated like a player piano and used that perforated Funny Cola can that could replay the notes on his device, because it was shaped like a metallic roll.

The manure container is possibly the worst thing you have to do in the game if the RNG hates you. You pick up HUGE POOPIE that is bigger than your head and takes 18 hearts. You buy lots of healing items to survive.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 7, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Demicol posted:

Also most of the alien language was just random Japanese words, it seems like. Wonder if they were in English in the original.
It's exactly the same in Japanese, word for word. The random Japanese words "translate" to other Japanese words.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When Tsuyu's not in the top 10 on the popularity poll

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

ChorpSaway posted:

If anyone in the thread knows this, please let me know, I'm genuinely interested. I've tried talking to the alien while up on the beacon and also tried interacting with the screen, but I've never found a message that hints at anything for the cola. I guess it could be a fortune teller hint or something but I'm surprised for something story-relevant I couldn't find the clue for the Funny Cola.

If you look at the computer the alien made, there's supposed to be a message onscreen but it won't tell you what it is. I'm almost certain this is a translation error, based on the words they give you in the dictionary it should say "Dempou soccer", which would be "Insert canned juice" in the alien language, to tell you to put in a can. Don't know how you'd know it should be Funny Cola that works but would've been better to go on than nothing.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Since you can't drag a piano up the ladder, you needed a crude tool that can reproduce those notes in his machine. He was able to make a communications device that operated like a player piano and used that perforated Funny Cola can that could replay the notes on his device, because it was shaped like a metallic roll.

It looks way more like an antique style music box, since the player can peek inside it and see the steel comb part and that the water wheels are acting as a crank. Still a stretch but maybe they designed it that way thinking someone would make the cola can=music box cylinder connection

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Flac posted:

If you look at the computer the alien made, there's supposed to be a message onscreen but it won't tell you what it is. I'm almost certain this is a translation error, based on the words they give you in the dictionary it should say "Dempou soccer", which would be "Insert canned juice" in the alien language, to tell you to put in a can. Don't know how you'd know it should be Funny Cola that works but would've been better to go on than nothing.
Oh, you're exactly right. It's supposed to say "Soccer dempou. Kurumaisu dempou."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, I've been catching up on Cocoa Disaster, and you wankers got me interested in Recreators, which apparently isn't available in Australia and I don't want to pirate it. Definitely unsubscribing and leaving you a 0/5 star review on iTunes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm supposed to believe that Captain America was HYDRA the entire time?!

Also, ngl, totally forgot all about the love letter set.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Half of the Marvel fanbase during the SJW era.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You're not allowed to use my gif.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can sure consider my clams melted, buddy

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

brown people? IN COMIC BOOKS!? what were those guys smoking?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I see what :thejoke: is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Trask did nothing wrong.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

On the penultimate episode of Chulip, it's time to hit the big 5-0 and complete all of the kisses in the game! Along with the leftover Underground Residents, we learn a frightening secret about Michelle, and we meet an old resident of Long Life Town that's having a bit of trouble adjusting to her new life.
Next week: the finale!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Zombie Mika
A lonely zombie living in the cemetery near the Worldly Desires Temple. She has an affinity for tea, though she seems to be having trouble remembering her original recipe.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Technically, Chorps actually broke sequence in regard to Michelle's kiss as you're actually supposed to visit her to learn about cult before digging up the pot. The does hint at the cult itself when you read the posters on the wall below the train station.

Likewise, you are expected to first meet Mika much earlier than you actually did and visit her between leveling up and unlike the Train Pass where kissing him was optional, you are required to kiss Leo in order to complete this side story why it's a good idea to kiss him early. Her side story is easily one of the saddest in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is still a lot of stuff in the game that is not RNG related.

• Locked thread