Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I actually remember seeing this in my local Gamestop back when it was being sold. It's kind of nice that it's on the PSN (under "PS2 Classics", which got a chuckle from me) and for $10 I may just pick it up. I feel like even if you are familiar with the game the sheer experience of it can make multiple playthroughs fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I really like how each character has their own unique "voice" with a different pitch and even different patterns of gibberish. It helps distinguish them and make the world feel diverse.

Also the temple music with the deep-voiced scatting makes me smile.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So they kind of brought this up in the LP but is there a larger time limit at play such that you get a game over if too many days go by? I hope not because I absolutely hate that poo poo.

VVVVVVV: I'm glad, and that really seems to tie into the laid back nature of the game.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Flac posted:

wasn't there issues with some copies of chulip? like some of the discs wouldn't work at all or something like that? i've wanted to play this myself but i heard about that and got scared off. shame since this game is so cute and i'm interested in whatever yoshiro kimura's been involved with

You can get it on psn for :10bux:.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

I think this is just because it's a "blue disc" PS2 game. I had to change the CD read speed to fast and turn my PS2 sideways to get Chulip to run because of that but I'm not aware of other issues.
I wish I had known about these fixes when I still owned a copy of ICO.

A piece of tape on each side of the center hole and whammo, they run perfectly. Pretty much all of my blue discs still have their tape to this day.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

If I remember correctly with the original beefy PS2s the issue lay with the magnets that lifted the disc in the tray. The blue and traditional discs were of subtly different thickness and weight that the magnets would gently caress up and not hold certain kinds steady. This is why you'd frequently hear a soft grinding while the system spun up, which was the disc wobbling and tapping the sides. The tape trick I mentioned would give blue discs just enough extra thickness/balance to correct the matter, which really goes to show you how sensitive it was.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 16, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pinch Poncho is currently my favorite resident; he seems like my kind of guy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wordplay like that is a classic "dad joke" calibur type of humor in Japan which fits the tone of this game perfectly, so you're probably right.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Also loved the train puzzle. That sort of thing would never make it through localization today, and I'm pretty glad they kept it intact.

Going to point out that Leo serving tea was one of the most unintentionally disgusting things I've seen in a game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Trying to think of other games that have used puzzles that draw upon real-world location knowledge, because drat that train puzzle seems like it would be hard if you're not from Japan (which they probably didn't expect anyone who played this game to be!)

I've used the Tokyo rail system extensively over several visits and there is no way in hell I'd be able to do that without looking it up. That's legit "enthusiast" knowledge.

I guess I've only used the shinkansen line twice in my life though.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I recognized what he was saying and what it signified immediately, but yes, I'd never know the order without reference. However famous it may be, I doubt most Japanese I've acquainted myself with would either. Not even because it'd be hard to find out, but simply because that's the kind of trivia you're not going to bother to keep in your mind unless it's a regular part of your life.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Clearly that guy earned his smooch then.

Moving on, when you compare it to his contemporaries, poor Goro's film wasn't that bad; at least there was some tepid anticipation. Cheapo move roping your daughter into being in your movie though.

Arguably the best one was Evil Cross, since the punchline actually got a very slight chuckle out of me.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Obviously League of Legends. Economics, resource management, conflict resolution, making intuitive assessments of my opponents' intelligence and capabilities based on their accent and political views. I would say my ranking is equivalent to at least two doctrates.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Trick question: Hendrix was framed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

What does Death do when it's out and about, and can you kiss Death?

It looks like Death is basically the policeman of the graveyard - an added danger/punishment for being out too late.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

The only kiss you get from that guy is the Kiss of Death.

Does he actually kiss you if he catches you? It would pretty much be the best thing ever if there was a 2spooky version of the kiss fanfare and Chorps just drops dead at the end.

"Domo!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Anime was a mistake.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Let me guess: there is a kiss that requires a crime stamp. Because we need to prove we're a bad boy.

I'm predicting that you need them all to get arrested by the cop, who will be so loving stoked at finally getting a collar that it'll be smoochin' time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The long lips of the law.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Holy poo poo 30 vacation days a year? Sign me the gently caress up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like we are going to sneak around with Solid Snake in order to kiss him.

What was that train driver doing with those hand signals?

Train operators on some lines in Japan will (would?) use semaphore signals like that to communicate with operators and customers, like arrival/departure, etc. There's a lot of pointing in particular. It's just an exaggerated demonstration of that.

Funny Bone Factory wasn't very funny :(

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 22, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

No anime robots smooched 0/10

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

That you still have to hide from a lazy security guard is amusing. I thought while watching it "buddy you're the president of the drat company, if you want to stay after hours who's going to have the authority to stop you?"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Please tell me there's another use for dead cicadas so you have to keep them in your inventory even longer now.

Please.

Eating, obviously. You know how much protein is in those suckers?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The Terry Bogard cap throw was the highlight of the video to me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The only crimes are smoking, stealing, streaking, and slapping.

My only pleasures in life, loving fascists.

E: also holy poo poo I totally called it on the kiss condition for the cop.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Trask did nothing wrong.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Man, imagine stumbling upon this and having the tea kill you. It would probably take you a couple minutes just to process what in the hell just happened.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jukebox Hero posted:

Everybody strap in because the endgame makes the rest of this poo poo look pedestrian.

Let's just say that we find out some horrifying truths about the family trees of this shabby little town

Everyone is a bell person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the LP. It's a very weird, charming game that I think you're hard-pressed to see much of these days.

I didn't know the company made only this and Rule of Rose, of all things. What a dichotomy of presentation.

• Locked thread