Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
wasn't there issues with some copies of chulip? like some of the discs wouldn't work at all or something like that? i've wanted to play this myself but i heard about that and got scared off. shame since this game is so cute and i'm interested in whatever yoshiro kimura's been involved with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

You can get it on psn for :10bux:.

don't own a ps3 or ps4 :(

ChorpSaway posted:

I think this is just because it's a "blue disc" PS2 game. I had to change the CD read speed to fast and turn my PS2 sideways to get Chulip to run because of that but I'm not aware of other issues.
I wish I had known about these fixes when I still owned a copy of ICO.

i figured it would be a blue disc, since this was an early-ish ps2 game in japan. i thought it was something more serious, like a manufacturing error, but it could be i'm remembering it wrong or i got the info from somebody who didn't understand how blue discs worked.

those things were so weird. the quick fixes weren't enough for me and i had to mess with the disc-read laser to play blue disc games. once i had a ps2 that ONLY played blue discs, no matter how much i fiddled with it.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Nice to see this is back!

I recently beat chulip on my own time and man, Funny Bone Factory has got to be the most frustrating part of a game infamous for being frustrating. Doing that tour over and over again and talking to every npc til you find the one who says the guard is lazy becomes really tedious, even in the best case scenario that you manage to kiss each the underground residents on your first try AND time your trips on the shuttle to their locations correctly to minimize trips.

What really sucks about it is how many of the game's kisses are based on luck, and Jigsaw is by far the worst example of this: 1 in 50 of the pieces scattered around is the right one, but it might not appear at all. And youre not gonna even know which piece is the right one on your first time through, I had to use trial and error to figure out which jigsaw pieces were either too small or too big, and this meant taking 22 pts of damage each time I tested a piece on Jigsaw. Once I memorized their shapes, I had to hope I'd find the odd one out on the ground, the one that looks like a crescent moon, before he leaves. And this is bad enough on its own but remember, missing a kiss in the factory means going through the 10-15 minute tour, EACH AND EVERY TIME, to try again.

I really do love this game for it's charm and uniqueness but also gently caress this game.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is what I like about the game. You spend so much time piecing things together and forget about hurrying towards objectives as in other games. The very slow pacing encourages you to explore areas several times, just in case something new pops up that allows you to do something new. It is like a less violent Zelda.

For the majority of the game, I agree, but cycling through the factory workers' text every time made me dread messing up there, more so than the other areas. I probably wouldve been ok with it if they hadn't put Jigsaw there.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Cheapot's name seemed a bit weird to me but just now i thought

Cheapot = depot

Jesus christ

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Him and his shop are both called "Tsuboyasu" in Japanese. "Tsubo" meaning "pot" and "yasu" meaning "cheap", essentially. If it's supposed to be a pun on anything, it's not obvious to me.

I really thought I was onto something :( oh well, saying it like teapot rolls off the tongue better anyways.

On the subject of names, I've been wondering about Julie and Michelle, is it possible that their names were originally Juri and Michiru but got Romanized by the translation? I think it's weird how their names are English while there's characters like Goro and Batayan who went unchanged, and how Japanese the game's setting is to begin with.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

If anyone in the thread knows this, please let me know, I'm genuinely interested. I've tried talking to the alien while up on the beacon and also tried interacting with the screen, but I've never found a message that hints at anything for the cola. I guess it could be a fortune teller hint or something but I'm surprised for something story-relevant I couldn't find the clue for the Funny Cola.

If you look at the computer the alien made, there's supposed to be a message onscreen but it won't tell you what it is. I'm almost certain this is a translation error, based on the words they give you in the dictionary it should say "Dempou soccer", which would be "Insert canned juice" in the alien language, to tell you to put in a can. Don't know how you'd know it should be Funny Cola that works but would've been better to go on than nothing.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Since you can't drag a piano up the ladder, you needed a crude tool that can reproduce those notes in his machine. He was able to make a communications device that operated like a player piano and used that perforated Funny Cola can that could replay the notes on his device, because it was shaped like a metallic roll.

It looks way more like an antique style music box, since the player can peek inside it and see the steel comb part and that the water wheels are acting as a crank. Still a stretch but maybe they designed it that way thinking someone would make the cola can=music box cylinder connection

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

The cat does 20 points of damage, so that's 5 strikes if you got all the kisses. So you don't have to get all 50 kisses, it's just a very good idea to when you get to the endgame

The manual does give you the answers for some of the quiz questions, but they're sneaky about them. There's bits of text in comic sans that are all over the book that look like pointless fun facts about characters and things, you'd think at first they don't matter and then they do. I just did my homework by using the business cards on villagers and being observant enough, and I got an 18/20 without any cheating :c00lbert: sooo basically I aced it :c00lbert: no biggie :c00lbert: :c00lbert: :c00lbert:

Thanks for playing this Chorps. This LP was the push to try Chulip myself and I'm really happy I did, its sense of humor and attention to detail is very much my poo poo. It's got me interested in many of the other games in the Love-de-Lic family, especially the long ongoing translation project for Moon Remix RPG Adventure, the first game Yoshiro Kimura was a designer/writer on and one that shares Chulip's ideas on game design. Hoping that one happens before I'm dead because it's one of like, four video game things I'm actually excited for these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

A particularly infamous example is the Xenomorph from Space Quest 2 that if you let kiss you will result in you dying from a Chestburster on the very last screen before the ending.

Moon logic puzzles are one thing, but being anti-kiss is an archaic game design decision and I'm glad chulip broke new ground for games where it mattered.

• Locked thread