Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Thanks to my good friend AbstractCactus for the banner image!]

"Video games, contrary to the all the bad the press they might have been given, are nothing but love. What must remain in mind is the message going on between the developers and the player: video games are love."
-Yoshirou Kimura, Director

Chulip is an adventure/simulation game for the Playstation 2 that was released in 2002 and, after a very rough localization process, saw an American release in 2006. Sorry Europe. It was also released for US PS3 in 2012 as a “PS2 Classics” title, despite dismal initial sales. The idea for Chulip came from two experiences that the director, Yoshirou Kimura, had. The first was that, during a visit to Europe, Kimura saw many couples kissing in public, which was a sight not often seen in Japan, where public displays of affection are generally discouraged and in some cases frowned upon. The other was during a party Kimura was hosting, where his drunken friends began shouting “kiss me” (“chu-shite” in Japanese) before talking about video games.

The game stars Poor Boy, who just moved with his father to a quaint Japanese town, Long Life Town. During the move, Poor Boy had a dream about meeting and kissing a beautiful girl. When he goes to meet his new neighbors, he discovers that this girl is real, and lives in his new town! Unfortunately, he has no experience with love, and can’t express his feelings to her properly. Desperate to win her love, Poor Boy soon embarks on a journey to understand love and happiness. With a little help from the people he meets, Poor Boy is going to find the words he needs to make her understand, no matter what it takes!

Chulip is extremely obtuse, and a lot of the hints are either randomly given to you under specific circumstances or need to be parsed out via trial-and-error. The manual for the game even has a walkthrough and hint guide in it to help lost players along. The director has said that the game is about exploring rural areas of Japan and the lives people lead there, so it encourages exploration and examination in order to understand the world. I think that, while there isn’t always enough in the game to move you forward in the story, there is a lot of charm to be found in Chulip if you take the time to explore. The game has stuff to say on subjects like suburban life, Japanese society, and business culture, and each of the characters was built to be unique, with their own little quirks that make the game feel special. It’s a flawed experience, but it’s a charming experience for sure.

"If I could cure one person's woes by kissing them, I'd kiss my neighbors. We know less and less about our neighbors, especially in big cities. I think we are afraid of them and don't want to be bothered, but that is not good. Kiss your neighbors. Better love than hate."

I’m ChorpSaway and I’m the Poor Boy who will be searching for love. Acting as my questionable Cupids I have TheJayOfSpade, FutureFriend, Hobotron and Taoc as rotating guests. Together, we’ll kiss all the residents of Long Life Town and the surrounding areas and have a good time looking into this quirky little game. I’ve tried to be pretty snappy with my playing and editing so we’ll probably be a bit more focused than usual but I’m sure we’ll still be able to find plenty of time for jokes as well.

I will be showing off as much of the game as I can, including kissing all of the residents and as much of the hidden signposting as I can. I’ll also be getting translations for the portions of the game that were left in Japanese, and going over the substantial bonus content.

"Making games is, for me, like writing poems. I want to write my poem for everyone on this planet - not just for the Japanese, but for all people in the world."

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

"What I like the best to get ideas is, around my place, there's an old guy who's always drunk and always chatting about everything. I like to hang out with him, and maybe get new ideas from him."

Poor Boy
The 12 year-old who just moved to Long Life Town with his dad. He met the girl of his dreams, literally, and is on a quest to properly show her his love.

Girl
The 14 year-old girl of Poor Boy’s dreams. The daughter of Goro and Julie, she ran away from home into an empty lot in Poor Boy’s neighborhood. She loves stargazing.

Poor Boy’s Dad
Poor Boy’s loving father. He always seems to be reading the newspaper. He’s so worried about his son’s reputation in Long Life Town that he can’t sleep.

Michelle
Long Life Town’s resident street sweeper, literally. Although she looks old, she’s only 29. Michelle seems to have some odd habits, particularly when speaking to others.

Turtle Boy
A turtle living in Leo's home. He loves to figure draw, but can't seem to find a subject.

Dr. Dandy
Long Life Town’s resident doctor. His hospital is right next door to Poor Boy’s house, which is convenient. Dr. Dandy seems to have some trouble sleeping as of late.

Batayan
A poor busker, living in a trailer home. He loves music, but it has yet to make him any money. Batayan hopes to find a job soon.

Mr. Cheapot
The owner of the local antique shop. He owns a dog named Rocky, though he seems rather ornery. Cheapot enjoys waxing nostalgic after hours.

Goro
Girl’s father and a sweet potato salesman. He’s a film and sweet potato enthusiast, treating them both as the highest art. Goro spends most of his day drinking at home.

Julie
Girl’s mother and the owner of a yakitori stand. She is the sole breadwinner of the family, and a wine connoisseur. Julie is unhappy with her husband and his laziness.

Mrs. Plum
The owner of Long Life Town’s sweets shop. She seems very kind. Plum’s most prominent feature is her dentures, which appear to be larger than her mouth.

Policeman
The sole member of the Long Life Town police force. His large head is intimidating, and he loves his night patrol. Policeman keeps track of all crimes in Long Life Town, waiting for the day he can arrest someone.

Conductor
The local train conductor, as his name implies. He’s always on time and takes his life’s work very seriously. Conductor loves trains, and hopes to find someone who appreciates them as much as he does.

Mr. Suzuki
A teacher at Long Life Town’s school. He lives in the sewer near Poor Boy’s house, and acts as a mentor for him. Suzuki understands the nuances of love, and enjoys writing poetry.

Lover’s Tree
Long Life Town’s legendary being. It is said that any two lovers who kiss underneath the tree will be together forever. Lover’s Tree keeps track of Poor Boy’s progress and bestows power upon him.

Onion Lady
A friend of Mr. Suzuki’s. She unpeels her outer layer when vulnerable.

Champ
A professional boxer who trains on light poles. He’s got good stamina, but a long combo can tire him out quick.

Mr. Apollo
A hermit with a rocket on his head. He wants to go to space, but he needs to practice his landing procedure.

Miss Thick Glasses
A bookworm. Even with her very large glasses, she seems rather clumsy and prone to tripping.

Mr. Music Box
A struggling musician. He hopes someone will show up to appreciate his work.

Mr. Retired Bucket
A professional trash can who has since retired. It seems like he misses his job.

Mr. Yamada
One of the teachers at Long Life Town’s school. He is frustrated that he hasn’t gotten paid lately, and continues to badger Mr. Suzuki about compensation.

Mr. Inoue
A retired teacher who now lives in the Worldly Desires Temple cemetery. He seems to have issues with the current temple monk’s wooden gong.

Monk Hoichi
The head monk of Worldly Desires Temple. He spends all day going out begging for money. He loves all people, especially those that make donations.

Bell
The daughter of Monk Hoichi and a follower of the Worldly Desires Temple. She handles temple maintenance, and is concerned about the temple bell.

Hasty Wizard
A 20,000-year-old man with a love for jogging. Perhaps if you followed him you could discover his secret to fast travel and longevity.

Mr. Frog
A frog with a water lily parasol. Whenever he hears the temple’s bell, he knows that it’s time for a short swim.

Agony Man
A distressed man in constant pain. He’s not actually scary, but his stretching is a little unsettling.

Chuck
A leather loving man living in the hospital. If only he’d stop swinging from his chain…

Yodzilla
A reasonably sized monster with a love for destruction. He enjoys stomping around the park, but gets tired if he does it too much.

Chopper
A girl who likes spinning. Maybe if you could spin as well as her, she’d open up to you.

Jamtrak 415
A train otaku. He seems to enjoy following the train schedules, and playing in the park.

Snobby Tengu
A yokai living in the cemetery. He loves to jump from gravestone to gravestone, but he has difficulty keeping balance with his large nose.

Voodoo Doll
A literal straw man, cursed to stay on this mortal plane. He vents a lot in the middle of the night, but doesn’t have too much stamina.

Eggplant Boy
A boy with an eggplant for a head. As he said, an eggplant is an eggplant. Simple, no?

Tin Signboard
A man wearing an advertisement sign on his back. He doesn't want people to notice or pay attention to him, but he's pretty bad at hiding.

Dr. Fill
A middle-aged inventor. He seems to be on the verge of a great discovery, but something's missing...

Eucalyptuski
An athletic koala who's training for the Olympics. His specialty is the backflip jump. Someone should show him appreciation for his hard work.

Pinch Poncho
A Peruvian culture enthusiast with a hot new song. He enjoys games of Red Light, Green Light.

Leo
The Long Life Town's bathhouse owner. He's rather knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, particularly tea brewing. He has a particular appreciation for the arts.

Mr. Saito
A retired teacher who now lives outside Funny Bone Factory. He is well-versed in many martial arts and board games. He wants to see Poor Boy climb the corporate ladder.

Ad Balloon
A girl floating near the Funny Bone Factory. She's trying to fly away from the area, but she can't get enough air. The higher-ups at the factory have decided that her stunts are equivalent to advertisement for them.

Box Man
A philosophical man who lives in a box. He would love to talk about life with someone. Maybe you can get him to open up?

Robot King
An old-school robot toy who commands other toys. He enjoys talking walks late at night.

Mecha Yodzilla
The robotic older brother to Yodzilla, though he's not much bigger. It seems he's gotten several enhancements thanks to his time at the factory, including a new roar.

Jigsaw
A kid with a puzzle piece for a head. He feels like he's missing something in life, maybe someone can help him feel whole.

Mrs. Iwata
A retired teacher who now lives in Scarecrow Field. She's a UFO enthusiast and interested in extraterrestrial life. She wants you to believe, too.

Scarecrow
The titular scarecrow of Scarecrow Field. He used to be an important figure within Funny Bone Factory, but has since retired. He'd love to know what his friends are up to.

Miss Clam
A lady living in a clam shell. She seems a little under the weather, and she has difficulty opening up. Maybe you could do something to warm her up first.

Target
A rich guy who's under fire from a Sniper. He's scared to go out, but he also really needs to use the bathroom.

Sniper
An assassin out to kill Target. He has incredible accuracy and range, so be careful around him. He won't let his guard down when he's looking down his scope.

20 Year Old Guy
A young man. It's unknown why he sits out like that all day, but maybe if you pass by him very carefully...

Man Spider
A spider with a face on its abdomen. Is that his true face, or merely a decoy to attract victims? No one's quite sure.

Swimmer Daniel
A swimmer living near the Funny Bone Factory safe. He's training for the Olympics, and his swimming and diving skills are incredible. He only loses focus when he comes up for air.

Thief Tip Toe IV
A thief that comes from a long line of thieves. It seems like his latest mark is something at Julie's Bar, but what could it be?

Alien
An extraterrestrial who crashes into Scarecrow Field. They don't speak nor understand your language, but there seems to be a connection between them and some artifacts in the area...

Zombie Mika
A lonely zombie living in the cemetery near the Worldly Desires Temple. She has an affinity for tea, though she seems to be having trouble remembering her original recipe.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 20, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Post reserved for something else later, maybe!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The only thread theme I will accept is this one or this one.

Heavy Sigh posted:

This is going to be magical. But isn't 12 a little too young to be trying to woo the girl of your dreams?

He has more ambition than I did at 12, so I think Chorps should go with the flow and see where this kissing adventure takes him. He might learn something greater than he could ever imagine right now.

FractalSandwich posted:

Mr. Suzuki has it right. Fuckin' uncultured poor kid doesn't even know to open his letters with a seasonal reference. Anime deserves better.

One day Chorps will write a letter worthy of Anime.

Alternative thread title: My Love Letter to Anime

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 14, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So now that you ranked up, will everybody stop calling you poor boy? Because you guys' reactions to the townspeople just being assholes was my favorite part of the video.

They may not continually call us "Poor Boy" (though very few people refer to us by our rank either), but you can be sure that they'll still be assholes to us.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Jamesman posted:

What a strange-looking game.

Yeah, who would LP such a weird game???

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Chorps wakes up to start his quest to win Anime's heart, but finds out that he has been suspected of a crime! Now Chorps must clear his name by exploring the town and figuring out who really placed the rock on the train tracks. Meanwhile, trouble seems to be brewing for Mr. Suzuki, and we start to meet the underground residents of Long Life Town.

Characters Introduced This Episode

Champ
A professional boxer who trains on light poles. He’s got good stamina, but a long combo can tire him out quick.

Mr. Apollo
A hermit with a rocket on his head. He wants to go to space, but he needs to practice his landing procedure.

Miss Thick Glasses
A bookworm. Even with her very large glasses, she seems rather clumsy and prone to tripping.

Mr. Music Box
A struggling musician. He hopes someone will show up to appreciate his work.

Mr. Retired Bucket
A professional trash can who has since retired. It seems like he misses his job.

Mr. Yamada
One of the teachers at Long Life Town's school. He is frustrated that he hasn’t gotten paid lately, and continues to badger Mr. Suzuki about compensation.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 19, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually Mr. Suzuki is not the principal, in fact the Principal doesn't appear even until near the very end of the game. Suzuki's just a teacher like Mr. Yamada, hence why they have the same face.

Also pretty sure the black thing's a mustache on Champ's face.

Whoops! Guess I got confused since Yamada goes to him about the money issues. Well, not that it changes too much about the situation, but I'll update the bio and correct myself next video.

Also it looks like he has three teeth around that black void on his face.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh man this game is just so drat charming! Does anyone make games like this anymore?

Yoshirou Kimura is still making games; he directed Little King's Story which was for Wii and he just released Dandy Dungeon for mobile which is also very good.

Heavy Sigh posted:

....Please tell me that bit about the graveyard is just hyperbole.

Otherwise the policemen in Long Life Town are loving terrifying.

I guess we'll have to get three crime stamps in order to find out!!!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, even after clearing his name, Chorps' struggles are never over. He's been suspected of helping Mr. Yamada steal the Love Letter Set from Mr. Suzuki! It's off to the Worldly Desires Temple for him, in order to track down Yamada and sort this whole thing out. And when he gets there, the first trial on Chorps' path for Anime's love reveals itself!

Mr. Inoue
A retired teacher who now lives in the Worldly Desires Temple cemetery. He seems to have issues with the current temple monk’s wooden gong.

Monk Hoichi
The head monk of Worldly Desires Temple. He spends all day going out begging for money. He loves all people, especially those that make donations.

Bell
The daughter of Monk Hoichi and a follower of the Worldly Desires Temple. She handles temple maintenance, and is concerned about the temple bell.

Hasty Wizard
A 20,000-year-old man with a love for jogging. Perhaps if you followed him you could discover his secret to fast travel and longevity.

Mr. Frog
A frog with a water lily parasol. Whenever he hears the temple’s bell, he knows that it’s time for a short swim.

Agony Man
A distressed man in constant pain. He’s not actually scary, but his stretching is a little unsettling.

mateo360 posted:

I ended up buying this on PSN. drat you Chorps.

Good.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you going to show off failed kissing attempts? I think each character has a different way of inflicting pain on you, but some of them are uniquely special beyond punching you.

I think I might stumble into some later, but for the most part I haven't since I'm always worried about accidentally dying because some rando does too much damage.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If I remember right from Jamesman's LP, the game came with a strategy guide. Maybe it told you how to get the dash?

There is a guide in the game manual, but it doesn't tell you about what you get for kissing people, just how to. And where they are, and when they come out, and how much damage they do if you kiss them wrong, which could've helped me if I'd thought to show off kiss failures. It also notes that eventually you will gain the ability to run. The manual has a surprisingly in-depth walkthrough for the game, which seems weird for a game about exploring rural Japan, but I could not imagine having as much fun with the game if that didn't exist.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Poor Boy needs to talk to the Monk in order to figure out his wooden gong problem, but he's too cheap to talk to us! They say money talks, so we'll put that to the test after working hard and kissing strangers for more pocket change! Afterwards, maybe we can start to move forward with helping to fix Monk Hoichi's shrine...

Chuck
A leather loving man living in the hospital. If only he’d stop swinging from his chain…

Yodzilla
A reasonably sized monster with a love for destruction. He enjoys stomping around the park, but gets tired if he does it too much.

Chopper
A girl who likes spinning. Maybe if you could spin as well as her, she’d open up to you.

Jamtrak 415
A train otaku. He seems to enjoy following the train schedules, and playing in the park.

Snobby Tengu
A yokai living in the cemetery. He loves to jump from gravestone to gravestone, but he has difficulty keeping balance with his large nose.

Voodoo Doll
A literal straw man, cursed to stay on this mortal plane. He vents a lot in the middle of the night, but doesn’t have too much stamina.

Eggplant Boy
A boy with an eggplant for a head. As he said, an eggplant is an eggplant. Simple, no?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, it's the end of the first story in the Love Letter Set arc! Young Chorps grabs everything he needs to solve the temple's gong problem, finding the clues that Monk Hoichi's father left behind. We also clean out the rest of the kisses available in our neighborhood, and maybe learn a little about happiness along the way.

No new characters this episode! Next episode we'll have quite a few though!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you going to check out the forest in WDT?

All I've ever found there is poop, I'm not aware of anything terribly interesting in the forest. If I'm wrong though let me know and I may be able to record something.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 13, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

WHOOPS I just realized I uploaded the no commentary version on accident, this is what I get for not checking! Back in a bit.

EDIT: Alright, the banner link has been fixed! Sorry about that, folks!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 9, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The only time limit you have to wrestle with is the daily timer. There's nothing stopping you from just sleeping 30 days away, at least as far as I know. You're free to trail and error your way to every solution as you please.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

how did none of you comment on this?????

Why comment on the perfectly normal moon??? I guess it is a little large but still.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Flac posted:

wasn't there issues with some copies of chulip? like some of the discs wouldn't work at all or something like that? i've wanted to play this myself but i heard about that and got scared off. shame since this game is so cute and i'm interested in whatever yoshiro kimura's been involved with

I think this is just because it's a "blue disc" PS2 game. I had to change the CD read speed to fast and turn my PS2 sideways to get Chulip to run because of that but I'm not aware of other issues.
I wish I had known about these fixes when I still owned a copy of ICO.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Easter, let's celebrate with kisses! Now that we've finished the first fetch quest for Mr. Suzuki, young Chorps is taking a break from his ultimate quest to learn more about his town, and love. We're gonna check out the other half of Long Life Town, and maybe it's about time we took a bath. Yeesh.

Tin Signboard
A man wearing an advertisement sign on his back. He doesn't want people to notice or pay attention to him, but he's pretty bad at hiding.

Dr. Fill
A middle-aged inventor. He seems to be on the verge of a great discovery, but something's missing...

Eucalyptuski
An athletic koala who's training for the Olympics. His specialty is the backflip jump. Someone should show him appreciation for his hard work.

Pinch Poncho
A Peruvian culture enthusiast with a hot new song. He enjoys games of Red Light, Green Light.

Leo
The Long Life Town's bathhouse owner. He's rather knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, particularly tea brewing. He has a particular appreciation for the arts.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: DOUBLE UPDATE TIME!! :siren:

Today, Chorps continues his kissin' mission around town! Today, he sets his sights on wooing Anime's father, Goro, through their shared appreciation of the arts. It's time to show him that we are a valid candidate for Anime's love, and that we're cultured! That won't stop him from kissing a couple underground residents along the way, or having a tea date with our new friend Leo though. Gotta take time for ourselves.
Oh, and if you love Japanese train lines, you'll love one of the kisses this episode!

And on today's bonus update, I come to you from the future, to show you all of the movies that you can collect in the game! We'll slowly find them over the course of the LP, but since we just unlocked the ability to watch them, I thought it'd be good to show off their contents now.
Also, though I've done a decent amount of searching, I haven't been able to find a full archive of these collectibles OR translations for their contents, so I think this might be the first internet video to compile them all in this way! Breaking new internet ground.

Turtle Boy
A turtle living in Leo's home. He loves to figure draw, but can't seem to find a subject.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was hoping for a good streaking like with Saints Row, but it was not meant to be.

Young Chorps is a respectful, law-abiding citizen and would not act on such debauchery.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's the last video for our first kissing detour in our story! In this one, we clean up a few more kisses in Long Life Town, say goodbye to the park, and help solve a mystery!
In the next video, we'll return to the Love Letter Retrieval story.

:siren: PODCAST UPDATE! :siren:

Youtube

MP3 Download

A new LP thread, a new start to shilling for my podcast that I do about anime!
Today, I'm joined by my friend SweetNAwful to talk about the themes of 1997's Revolutionary Girl Utena, and explore what the show has to say about relationships and the way people confine themselves to pre-defined roles!

Also I'm not gonna claim that the Gungrave VR game being in production may have been thanks to my comprehensive series LP from earlier this year but also I am definitely claiming that my LP caused Gungrave VR to come into existence.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The only kiss you get from that guy is the Kiss of Death.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

And More posted:

Metaphorically or literally? Or do you mean the mediocre David Caruso flick from 1995?

FunkMonkey posted:

Does he actually kiss you if he catches you? It would pretty much be the best thing ever if there was a 2spooky version of the kiss fanfare and Chorps just drops dead at the end.

"Domo!"

I'll make a bonus video about it, where I show off unique game overs and stuff.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Did the same people behind little king's story make this previously?

Chulip and Little King's Story have the same director and designer.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, young Chorps returns to his quest to recover all of the items in the Love Letter Set, and his mission leads him straight to Funny Bone City. At the farthest point from Long Life Town that he can go, Chorps is given another task by a teacher...

Ad Balloon
A girl floating near the Funny Bone Factory. She's trying to fly away from the area, but she can't get enough air. The higher-ups at the factory have decided that her stunts are equivalent to advertisement for them.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, thanks to our incredible recruitment skills, the bigwigs at the Funny Bone Factory have given us an opportunity to tour the factory! With our comic book in hand and a lot of time to waste, young Chorps finds himself deep in the heart of capitalism, but what he finds may not match what he saw in the advertisements...

Characters Introduced Last Episode That I Forgot to Introduce

Mr. Saito
A retired teacher who now lives outside Funny Bone Factory. He is well-versed in many martial arts and board games. He wants to see Poor Boy climb the corporate ladder.

Box Man
A philosophical man who lives in a box. He would love to talk about life with someone. Maybe you can get him to open up?

Robot King
An old-school robot toy who commands other toys. He enjoys talking walks late at night.

Mecha Yodzilla
The robotic older brother to Yodzilla, though he's not much bigger. It seems he's gotten several enhancements thanks to his time at the factory, including a new roar.

Jigsaw
A kid with a puzzle piece for a head. He feels like he's missing something in life, maybe someone can help him feel whole.

The name of this thing explains a lot of the names at the factory, huh. The more you know.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, little Chorps was given a letter to deliver during his last shift, so he's taking the day off in order to pass it along! That's not all he'll do on his short vacation to Scarecrow Field though, as there are many kisses to discover there, and at least one of them will provide and fantastic quality-of-life improvement. We also get a small glimpse at the next Love Letter Set mission and help a man find companionship in a common hobby.

Mrs. Iwata
A retired teacher who now lives in Scarecrow Field. She's a UFO enthusiast and interested in extraterrestrial life. She wants you to believe, too.

Scarecrow
The titular scarecrow of Scarecrow Field. He used to be an important figure within Funny Bone Factory, but has since retired. He'd love to know what his friends are up to.

Miss Clam
A lady living in a clam shell. She seems a little under the weather, and she has difficulty opening up. Maybe you could do something to warm her up first.

Target
A rich guy who's under fire from a Sniper. He's scared to go out, but he also really needs to use the bathroom.

Sniper
An assassin out to kill Target. He has incredible accuracy and range, so be careful around him. He won't let his guard down when he's looking down his scope.

20 Year Old Guy
A young man. It's unknown why he sits out like that all day, but maybe if you pass by him very carefully...

Man Spider
A spider with a face on its abdomen. Is that his true face, or merely a decoy to attract victims? No one's quite sure.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, with the help of his new friend Scarecrow, young Chorps has everything he needs to succeed! Now it's an infiltration mission, with Chorps trying to break in to the Funny Bone Factory after hours and discover the secret to promotion! What will he find at the end of his journey? Will he be able to impress enough to get back the Love Paper? All this and more on today's update!

Swimmer Daniel
A swimmer living near the Funny Bone Factory safe. He's training for the Olympics, and his swimming and diving skills are incredible. He only loses focus when he comes up for air.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME? :siren:

Unfortunately, neither of my fourth co-commentators were available to record Chulip this week. Instead, FutureFriend, Jay and I decided to watch a replay of the first Gundam game to be made in English, and the second ever Gundam media to hit the Western market, after the original novel trilogy. It's a combination of FMV with quicktime events and 3D portions of FPS-style gameplay that the game itself omits from its replays. The localization is spotty and the acting is hammy, so there's plenty to enjoy with Gundam 0079: The War for Earth!

:siren: WOW, A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

How timely! Today, Cocoa☆Disaster covers a landmark Gundam series, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, the first not to be directed by the original creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. My friend BeamSplashX and I decide to look past the big robots and dive into the heart of what makes this series so different from its predecessors, and how it would affect and compare to the series that came after it.

These two videos mark the most I've ever thought about Gundam in my entire life. Hopefully we'll be back to Chulip soon!

marshmallow creep posted:

So are we 2/3s of the way through the game or is getting the last piece of the love letter set just the end of the act? Do we need a supreme reputation on top of that to actually woo Anime that necessitates doing side content? Or is there, like, a reputation level beyond what we need to get her attention that unlocks a secret big playa ending?

We are two-thirds done with the main quest, but there's still more to be done after we collect the letter set, like writing the letter and delivering it.
There's no necessity to kiss people outside of increasing Chorps' survivability, and there are very few places where you need to intentionally take damage within the story. You could get away with not doing even as many kisses as we've done now, but I just want to show everything off. I think the main online walkthrough for this game says that they beat the game at as low as level 6 before? You might be able to go even lower. And there are no ending differences, unfortunately, it's just all for the sake of content.

C-Euro posted:

Maybe I missed it, but can you pick up the love letter set pieces in any order or do you have to do them like you are now?

You can do the game in any order, but with the money requirements and death potential, I think the order I'm doing is the easiest route. Plus, you have to do a lot of extra work for the Scarecrow Field piece that requires you to go everywhere else anyways.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: RETURN OF UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Sorry for the long wait! However, we've returned to the Funny Bone Factory today with new fourth guest Hobotron. It's finally time to take advantage of our newfound company president status, and we have lots of residents and workers alike who are lookin' for a smoochin'!

:siren: WHILE YOU WERE AWAY! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

YouTube
MP3 Download

My anime podcast still happened amidst the hiatus, and this is all seasonal coverage! I got together with friend XainZero to discuss the shows we're excited to see in this new season, as well as all of the shows we watched last season!

Also, while it wasn't Chulip, I did some quick videos about upcoming games I'm excited for, as well as just some games I wanted to give attention to. You can see those here!

Hopefully, there won't be any more delays as we finish up the extras for this chapter and rapidly head towards the final Love Letter Set piece! See you guys next week! Thanks for your patience, you all deserve a kiss.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of the antique store, does the computer (or any of the other expensive items) do anything worthwhile?

Every item in Mr. Cheapot's store will be used! I love to support independent businesses.

Flac posted:

For the majority of the game, I agree, but cycling through the factory workers' text every time made me dread messing up there, more so than the other areas. I probably wouldve been ok with it if they hadn't put Jigsaw there.

I'm gonna agree, the factory is less interesting than the general Chulip discovery loop, just because you have to wait to find the lazy guard, then you have to fiddle with the trains, and then if you miss anything you add a whole extra loop to the equation. Thankfully it is the smallest hub in terms of kisses.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

This one goes out to all of the working professionals who need a little love! Today, we learn more about Mr. Cheapot and Dr. Dandy, and why they aren't particularly happy. There are some pretty wild things going on in their lives, and it's Poor Boy's job to help them find love again. Time to finally put my pocket full of cicadas to good use!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, young Chorps accidentally dabbles in ancient magic, and is tasked with helping to clean it up! After cursing Monk Hoichi with bell spirits, it's up to him and Bell to find the Ancient Sword and rid Hoichi of his unwanted company. While doing this, Chorps also walks in on a domestic dispute and sees some real grim stuff. Hope Dr. Dandy works as a therapist too.

Thief Tip Toe IV
A thief that comes from a long line of thieves. It seems like his latest mark is something at Julie's Bar, but what could it be?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we caused a lot of trouble in order to get Bell's kiss, and today we're going to try and make amends! Goro has been sent to the graveyard for his crimes, and Julie's been devastated by the news that she may never see her husband again. With a sense of justice and a little bit of civil disobedience, it's up to young Chorps to do the time in order to save Goro and help to fix a strained marriage!

:siren: ALSO PODCAST TIME! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

Today, I'm joined by my friend qb to talk about a bizarrely beautiful series, Humanity Has Declined! The fairies look a little like Chulip characters, but might be a little more devious and dangerous than even Policeman.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I watched the video in the middle of the night and don't remember the part of the commentary that inspired this but

I love him, the big burly boy.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 30, 2017

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, it's time to recover the last item in the Love Letter Set, the fountain pen! For this task, Young Chorps must prove that he believes in UFOs, and after seeing something crash land into Scarecrow Field, he'll be led on a path of self-discovery and understanding.
We're almost at the end, folks!

Alien
An extraterrestrial who crashes into Scarecrow Field. They don't speak nor understand your language, but there seems to be a connection between them and some artifacts in the area...

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Demicol posted:

The alien is required for the main plot? How are you supposed to figure out you need the cola.

If anyone in the thread knows this, please let me know, I'm genuinely interested. I've tried talking to the alien while up on the beacon and also tried interacting with the screen, but I've never found a message that hints at anything for the cola. I guess it could be a fortune teller hint or something but I'm surprised for something story-relevant I couldn't find the clue for the Funny Cola.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

On the penultimate episode of Chulip, it's time to hit the big 5-0 and complete all of the kisses in the game! Along with the leftover Underground Residents, we learn a frightening secret about Michelle, and we meet an old resident of Long Life Town that's having a bit of trouble adjusting to her new life.
Next week: the finale!

Zombie Mika
A lonely zombie living in the cemetery near the Worldly Desires Temple. She has an affinity for tea, though she seems to be having trouble remembering her original recipe.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's the finale! Today, it's time for Chorps to finally write a good love letter to Anime. However, things are not quite as simple as they might seem, and Chorps finds himself in search of another mailbox, one that will lead directly to Anime's heart. It's time to find out what love means to young Chorps, and what he's willing to do in order to find his happiness...

Thanks for watching! This was a tough LP to put together but I've had a lot of fun sharing this unique and charming game. There's a lot to be found in Chulip, and inevitably I couldn't show everything off, but I think I got the most important pieces, especially all of the in-game movies. There will be one more bonus episode coming next week, but otherwise our time with Chulip has come to a close.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

In the final bonus episode, we take a look back on all of our kisses through the photo albums in our house! We get to see a little bit of each character's life after the kiss and how it's changed, a nice closer to this adventure.

Again, thanks to everyone for watching and commenting while we did the LP, and thank you for your patience during that break in the middle. I've got my next project in the works already, and that should be up and running within the next couple weeks. See you guys then and remember, love your neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I was hoping for Ninja Storm 4 but this is sufficiently anime trash for me.

It's slotted for right after, so stay tuned!

• Locked thread