Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So glad to relive this violently Japanese game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Champ has a Jack-o'-lantern smile.

I heard this game almost didn't make it past localization. Explains some of the issues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Heavy Sigh posted:

....Please tell me that bit about the graveyard is just hyperbole.

Otherwise the policemen in Long Life Town are loving terrifying.
It is really a wrestling ring where police challenge miscreants, in a cage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to show off failed kissing attempts? I think each character has a different way of inflicting pain on you, but some of them are uniquely special beyond punching you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ZeusCannon posted:

I may have missed it but what's the deal with the guy that shows up in the tunnel from time to time?
He looks to be selling stuff that is too expensive for your poor family to buy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kangra posted:

So everyone just casually knows we're poor and doesn't mind saying so, we get blamed for any crime we get close to, and if we're on the street at night the police might shoot us with no questions asked?

If this wasn't a Japanese game I'd think they were trying to say something.
There is a curfew at night. There is more to the cop that makes his deal funny if I was not terrified of the nights in that town.

Agony Man is totally a surviving Pillar Man.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Music Junkie posted:

I remember this game. I have it for the PS2, don't remember where I bought it. But yes, night time is a BITCH to deal with, especially with the policeman lurking about, and that other character you saw. >_< I almost want to replay it, except I have other games eating my soul at the moment. Ahhh Chulip, so weird, so funny, so....random at times. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, you guys' reactions are great. :3: Also, have you been checking the dumpsters and trashcans? I know half the time you just find poop, but once in awhile, you get lucky.
I know mine was Gamestop exclusive.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to check out the forest in WDT?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think at this point, there are very few ways you can instantly die and none of them are obvious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ratoslov posted:

How on Earth did these guys expect anyone ever to figure out these stupid puzzles?
Trial and error and tons of reading and waiting. This game isn't for twitch gamers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was hoping for a good streaking like with Saints Row, but it was not meant to be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Whammiewazzle posted:

Megaman Legends 2 has a 100 question quiz that gets you a part for creating an end game weapon. All of them are real world trivia questions, like "what did Jimi Hendrix do to his guitar in 1967?"
Just take the million.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What a boring zombie invasion. Just death and a doll.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

C-Euro posted:

What does Death do when it's out and about, and can you kiss Death?
Depending on the language setting, you might get the French kiss of death.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
4 Kyuurself teach.

Of all the kissable characters, Ad Balloon is the hardest hitter in the game. I think she kicks for 25 hearts, which made her terrifying when I tried to kiss her at a lower level. The two heaviest penalties in the game on the same screen and not even Death hits that hard if you failed kissing him a few times.

The faces of the factory workers are the best.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like we are going to sneak around with Solid Snake in order to kiss him.

What was that train driver doing with those hand signals?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Highwang posted:

What kinda peaceful city has a trained assassin shooting anyone that comes within a farming district?
Farmers have been known to shoot varmints. I think my first time there was also a terrifying time without getting shot. Not even the hardest hitter either.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
From that angle, it looked like he ate the love paper. Probably pica.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

marshmallow creep posted:

So are we 2/3s of the way through the game or is getting the last piece of the love letter set just the end of the act? Do we need a supreme reputation on top of that to actually woo Anime that necessitates doing side content? Or is there, like, a reputation level beyond what we need to get her attention that unlocks a secret big playa ending?
You don't need to kiss so many people to get the ending. It just makes it easier to not die in the ending.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
And right after Unicorn ended in the US. This is better than the acting in Resident Evil.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Flac posted:

Nice to see this is back!

I recently beat chulip on my own time and man, Funny Bone Factory has got to be the most frustrating part of a game infamous for being frustrating. Doing that tour over and over again and talking to every npc til you find the one who says the guard is lazy becomes really tedious, even in the best case scenario that you manage to kiss each the underground residents on your first try AND time your trips on the shuttle to their locations correctly to minimize trips.

What really sucks about it is how many of the game's kisses are based on luck, and Jigsaw is by far the worst example of this: 1 in 50 of the pieces scattered around is the right one, but it might not appear at all. And youre not gonna even know which piece is the right one on your first time through, I had to use trial and error to figure out which jigsaw pieces were either too small or too big, and this meant taking 22 pts of damage each time I tested a piece on Jigsaw. Once I memorized their shapes, I had to hope I'd find the odd one out on the ground, the one that looks like a crescent moon, before he leaves. And this is bad enough on its own but remember, missing a kiss in the factory means going through the 10-15 minute tour, EACH AND EVERY TIME, to try again.

I really do love this game for it's charm and uniqueness but also gently caress this game.
This is what I like about the game. You spend so much time piecing things together and forget about hurrying towards objectives as in other games. The very slow pacing encourages you to explore areas several times, just in case something new pops up that allows you to do something new. It is like a less violent Zelda.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can dodge the cop, but that doctor camps your house and stalks your dad. No wonder people left that place.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chia Pet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game was a rush job.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess there was supposed to be a very Japanese joke about the human bell reveal that made Chorps frown like that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you don't try to save Goro in time, he will shake the world every day until you finally free him.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Funny Cola explanation is a really big stretch. Drinking it harms you, but that generally means there is another use for it, much like the dead bugs you have no reason to get. The star seeds grow piano notes, which, if you watched certain alien encounter movies, the people relied on using musical notes to communicate. The whole segment with the random stuff you buy basically leads to a recreation of the space phone in ET. Since you can't drag a piano up the ladder, you needed a crude tool that can reproduce those notes in his machine. He was able to make a communications device that operated like a player piano and used that perforated Funny Cola can that could replay the notes on his device, because it was shaped like a metallic roll.

The manure container is possibly the worst thing you have to do in the game if the RNG hates you. You pick up HUGE POOPIE that is bigger than your head and takes 18 hearts. You buy lots of healing items to survive.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 7, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Half of the Marvel fanbase during the SJW era.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I see what :thejoke: is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is still a lot of stuff in the game that is not RNG related.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The son that is mentioned, is in a different school in another town. He is always on her mind. I think she mentions this earlier in the game. There is more to it, but Chorps might cover it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 27, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He didn't show off a lot of things because most of them have schedules of their own. It is like Bully, but with even less time to find everything. He did shoot himself in the foot without using Your Cards. I am pretty sure someone like Batayan or Mrs. Plum would tell him about the monkey quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This might be what the song says when you look at the album.

To give an example,
a vinyl house,
a warming temperature to cultivate the blessed avocados.
North pole, south pole bears;
Our town is a sorrowful underground waterway.
Chitama Middle!
North pole, south pole bears;
Our town is a sorrowful underground waterway.
Chitama Middle! (x6)

Here are some things you probably didn't get to see in the LP:
In the farmland at night, you might meet Johnny the-nightwalking-invisible-man, who attacks you if you talk to him. Talk to him enough times and about 40 damage later, he leads you to his treasure. 3000z

Returning the stolen hairpin to the cop heals you a bit.

While streaking, the cop sends you in the police box to put on your clothes while he pulls a gun on you.

The police box is where you can get an arranged inventory of stuff you tossed out.

You can use the telephone booth to make calls with certain people.

Talking to the doctor has him give you a chop for some damage. Other people just call you names.

Your dad scolds you for sleeping naked.

The monkey shows up in a loading screen with the fortune-teller and attacks you if you talk to him outside his suit.

Getting the alien message wrong spawns Atari versions of space invaders who shoot lasers at you.

Sit on the park bench by midnight and a pop-eyed sailor gives you a surprise massage service that heals you a bit, after showing you prone, and visibly shaking.

If you idle long enough to sit on the ground, you can make Chorps sing by pressing each of the buttons that don't make him move.

If you hide in the factory next to the outhouse, a guard takes a loud crap and you can sell his golden poopie for a lot of money. Hurts as much as a huge poopie.

You get a second save point in the factory apartment if you are President.

You can beat Charcoal three times for a prize. You don't have that fancy UI when you fight him.

A Panda bear seems to appear during 4-7 AM when you examine forest spots and appears once per sleep cycle. He heals you a bit.

There are multiple game over screens where each of the teachers do something horrible to you.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread