Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Poque posted:

I think one of the non-16 play-in game winners has won at least one more game every season since its inception, feels like the KSU/WF winner has a real chance against Cincy

kstate/cincy would be a loving brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Welsh-Ryan was insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Welsh-Ryan was insane.

Congrats, go beat Vandy.

Then, uh...good luck. You're better than most of the WCC!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't believe northwestern is in the tournament. this is bullshit

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Holy poo poo boys, it's been 10 years. But NEVADA is back!

Everyone will talk about Cam Oliver and Marcus Marshall, but Jordan Caroline is our best player. He will feast down low against ISU. He can also shoot 3's.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

5 Seed for ISU, best we could do. Don't know enough about Nevada though.

Would be great if we got Kansas in the Sweet 16.

I'm a Nevada alum, was in Vegas for the MWC Tournament. Let me know what questions you have. I'd like your breakdown of ISU as well if you don't mind.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HanabaL03 posted:

I'm a Nevada alum, was in Vegas for the MWC Tournament. Let me know what questions you have. I'd like your breakdown of ISU as well if you don't mind.

Yea sure, I'd love to know more.

Iowa State Cyclones
Led by senior PG Monte Morris, he rarely makes mistakes and has the best assist/turnover ratio in the country for like three years running. Used to play a super up tempo offensive game, but it's a little slower these days. It's a team mostly focused on offense, and they shoot a lot of threes. They win because they also make a lot of threes. ISU is a little on the small side, with Morris, Burton, Thomas, and Mitrou-Long all 6'-5" and under. The tallest are Solomon Young and Darrell Bowie, both at 6'-8", but normally only see the court one at a time. Offense normally works around the perimeter looking for a three, or to open the lane for a drive to the basket. Everyone on offense but the big men can shoot the three, which is why they can spread defenses out. The tend to play 8 deep, and the offense averages 80.9 a game.

ISU has been bad at rebounding for a while, and this team is no different. Since they play a little smaller, and at the perimeter, they don't get that many offensive boards. Getting badly out-rebounded has cost ISU a few games, and if they don't shoot well things go south in a hurry because they don't create lots of second chances. Overall defense is average, giving up 72 points a game. There has been more focus on defense on Coach Prohm, making ISU a more balanced team.

The team had a pretty rough stretch at the end of non-con play, and beginning of conference play. Last few weeks though they have looked really good, and playing well together. Solomon Young took a while to get used to college ball, but is turning into an essential player on D. If the Clones start a game shooting well, then they usually win. They've also struggled to close out games though, letting some teams back in with a minute or two to go. May cost them in the tournament. Overall, it's a very experienced team, which tends to help in the tournament. I actually think they can be a Sweet 16 team, or Elite 8 if they really play at their full potential.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I grow weary of consistently seeing teams the Cyclones crush in conference play placed way way higher than them. Kansas, looking at you.

This is very doable for the Cyclones though, woo woo!

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea sure, I'd love to know more.

Iowa State Cyclones
Led by senior PG Monte Morris, he rarely makes mistakes and has the best assist/turnover ratio in the country for like three years running. Used to play a super up tempo offensive game, but it's a little slower these days. It's a team mostly focused on offense, and they shoot a lot of threes. They win because they also make a lot of threes. ISU is a little on the small side, with Morris, Burton, Thomas, and Mitrou-Long all 6'-5" and under. The tallest are Solomon Young and Darrell Bowie, both at 6'-8", but normally only see the court one at a time. Offense normally works around the perimeter looking for a three, or to open the lane for a drive to the basket. Everyone on offense but the big men can shoot the three, which is why they can spread defenses out. The tend to play 8 deep, and the offense averages 80.9 a game.

ISU has been bad at rebounding for a while, and this team is no different. Since they play a little smaller, and at the perimeter, they don't get that many offensive boards. Getting badly out-rebounded has cost ISU a few games, and if they don't shoot well things go south in a hurry because they don't create lots of second chances. Overall defense is average, giving up 72 points a game. There has been more focus on defense on Coach Prohm, making ISU a more balanced team.

The team had a pretty rough stretch at the end of non-con play, and beginning of conference play. Last few weeks though they have looked really good, and playing well together. Solomon Young took a while to get used to college ball, but is turning into an essential player on D. If the Clones start a game shooting well, then they usually win. They've also struggled to close out games though, letting some teams back in with a minute or two to go. May cost them in the tournament. Overall, it's a very experienced team, which tends to help in the tournament. I actually think they can be a Sweet 16 team, or Elite 8 if they really play at their full potential.

Nevada Wolf Pack

Eric Musselman has turned the Nevada program around in his two years at the helm. Two years ago Nevada had won 9 games and their coach was fired. Last year they won 24 games and were the winners of the CBI Tournament. This year they won the MWC regular season and post season titles, sitting at 28-6.

Led by 3 great players: Marcus Marshall (19.8ppg), Cam Oliver (15.8 ppg, 8.7rpg) and Jordan Caroline (14.8ppg, 9.2rpg), the Pack is a high scoring team. They average 80ppg, 39rpg 16apg. Depth is an issue, as Musselman only plays 7 players. Jordan Caroline is our unsung hero, and is our energy guy.

Nevada used to be a mainstay in the NCAA tournament, getting to the Sweet 16 in the 2004 tournament. Winning a game in 2005 and 2006. This will be their first time in the Big Dance since 2007. Should be a fun, high scoring game.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Actually gently caress northwestern and their poo poo head coach and their insufferable journalist alumni

The guy who on the same day wrote an article about how Michigan "sold their soul" to win with Harbaugh because he ran off a recruit and an article about how amazing Northwestern basketball (with the coach being sued for doing this with an actual scholarship player) is actually owns.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The guy who on the same day wrote an article about how Michigan "sold their soul" to win with Harbaugh because he ran off a recruit and an article about how amazing Northwestern basketball (with the coach being sued for doing this with an actual scholarship player) is actually owns.

Say what you will about Northwestern's insufferable journalist alumni but at least they can write in English.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpiritualDeath posted:

I'm attending the Sacramento games, and I would enjoy watching John Collins so I hope they advance from Dayton.

JC is a boss and Bryant Crawford was frankly robbed from HM All-ACC Honors. He is really loving good and has swagger out the rear end so he can be super fun to watch when he's on.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the committee did a god job of picking the field, horrible hob seeding them

only team left out i thought should have been in was illinois state instead of a 15 loss vandy

the seeding is awful tho

Agreed. Hey Andichu, thoughts on Wake/K-State? I actually like our chances. The teams that kill us are teams that can run with us, which K-State decidedly cannot.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Thank you CBS for making the selection show not terrible like last year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

harbaugh is also a huge shithead though

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My advanced numbers really like Nevada's statistical profile.

My advanced numbers also really like Syracuse so, like, it's probably loving broken.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sad Illinois State didn't make it but that aside the teams in the tournament are probably the right ones. Holy poo poo did they gently caress up the seeding though, in cases like Wichita State I don't even know what they could have been drawing on other than personal hatred of Gregg Marshall or the Kochs (in which case, sure, whatever).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Regnevelc posted:

About what?

Minnesota is going to go balls deep on MTSU.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Minnesota is going to go balls deep on MTSU.

I agree, if I had to rank the 12/5 upset by most likely to least:

1. Nevada*
2. Princeton
3. MTSU
4. UNCW

*I'm a Nevada alum...

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

harbaugh is also a huge shithead though

Sure, biggest rear end in a top hat alive, except for Collins who is obviously worse. So probably not a great article to write

Adun posted:

Say what you will about Northwestern's insufferable journalist alumni but at least they can write in English.

Unlikely, that's why editors exist. I'm sure their forum posts are much lazier.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
which team will baylro lose to in the first round. o ok i see it. Baylor Btihc

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Indiana missing the tournament is bad enough, but refusing to host a home game as the #3 seed in the NIT is an even dumber look. This season just keeps getting inexplicably worse.

At least Mike Davis is back in the tournament (again) with Texas Southern. :unsmith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't believe my dumb, lovely team that did nothing but look like this forever is actually in the tourmament

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Did IU turn down a NIT bid?

Also - how hot is Crean's seat? It's gotta be on fire soon..

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Regnevelc posted:

Did IU turn down a NIT bid?

No, they're the 3 seed in Syracuse's bracket.

Iowa, Illinois and Indiana will be representing the Big Ten in the NIT. Illinois got a higher seed than Indiana despite having lost to Rutgers at the end of the season and firing their coach, while Indiana "upset" Iowa in the tournament. Of course, Indiana will lose to Georgia Tech in the first round because they don't even get the home court advantage because they're working on Assembly Hall), Illinois will probably lose to Valparaiso because Valpo always turns it on for the NIT, and I feel like one of TCU, Bama or Clemson will take care of Iowa.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 13, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Regnevelc posted:

The Missouri coaching search rumors are just assuming he'll be fired and no one else will want him. Not quite to the Matt Painter levels of 'it's a done deal' at this point, but a lot of people will be disappointed if Indiana keeps him (and then more disappointed if he's fired and like, any other P5 programs go after him--or if he just decides to take a year off or something).

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina unfortunately ended the season on a low note, having devolved into the Sindarius Thornwell One-Man Show. We're a pretty complete team when he gets some support, but it seems like the entire roster is in a funk right now except for him. Frank Martin is usually a pretty good tournament coach, so hopefully that and the opportunity to actually be in March Madness for once will light a fire under these guys. Regardless, I am beyond happy to be here, and to be playing in S.C. to boot.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You should try to beat Duke in my opinion. It would be good

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
god, gently caress Duke's free ride to the elite eight

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Syracuse fans are loving SALTY. It's amazing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

HanabaL03 posted:

I agree, if I had to rank the 12/5 upset by most likely to least:

1. Nevada*
2. Princeton
3. MTSU
4. UNCW

*I'm a Nevada alum...

I follow Musselman due to his Minnesota ties. Nevada has a good squad this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see them pull the 5/12 upset. My 5/12 upset likelihood is a little different than yours.....however.

1. UNCW
2. Nevada
3. MTSU
4. Princeton

Virginia is an offensively inept team. Makes them vulnerable against most decent teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UVA has a good offense they just play really slow.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

You should try to beat Duke in my opinion. It would be good

Extremely same.

But seeing as we haven't won a tournament game in 40 years, I'm gonna start small here and just hope that we beat Marquette.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

gently caress Duke

agreed

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How did South Carolina get a backyard home game as a 7 seed?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I see Georgia made the NIT with a potential game against Georgia Tech in the second round.

Georgia's games all end with the Bulldogs winning by two points (or fewer) or losing by 15. Maten's playing again, so they might be OK.

Georgia Tech always plays the opposite of what's expected of them. With Indiana a burning landfill right now, Tech must be very confused as to how to play.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

UVA has a good offense they just play really slow.

Yeah this. We aren't as good as years past but inept is a bit much

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the NIT is lit

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
UVA's offense is loving horrible.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yug posted:

UVA's offense is loving horrible.

Well that's just not true at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Extremely same.

But seeing as we haven't won a tournament game in 40 years, I'm gonna start small here and just hope that we beat Marquette.

RUMBY

MY DEACS MADE IT YAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

• Locked thread