Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ha this was like exactly the same for ISU. Got bounced as a 2 seed and then spent the next 9 or so years being pretty bad. Hoiberg finally turned it around, and I'm hoping we don't go back.

When you get bounced in the first round as a 2 seed you have to go wander around in the desert for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Can't wait for Vermont of all teams to beat Purdue, Iowa State and Kansas in a row.

Actually, pretty sure Nevada will at least give ISU a double OT nightmare first.

And New Mexico State got lucky, getting literally the only top 16 team they could feasibly beat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

People loving suck sometimes.

The rules have been obeyed that's the important thing.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I hope mizzou gets a good coach and comes back to the big 12 because i miss KU versus Mizzou games which will probably never happen again

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So has anyone set up a goon bracket group?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

elentar posted:

At the same time I can't imagine him being happy wrecking the Valley year in year out, only to get stuck with another double digit seed.
30-4 and a 10 seed is brutal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

stump collector posted:

I hope mizzou gets a good coach and comes back to the big 12 because i miss KU versus Mizzou games which will probably never happen again

Well the good news would be if Marshall went to Missouri KU could continue to ignore him.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Grittybeard posted:

So has anyone set up a goon bracket group?

I've setup a private group on the ESPN bracket thing if people are interested.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well don't keep it a secret.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Would you rather be a 15/16 seed every year, or be seeded higher in the NIT and have a shot to win games?

For most mid major schools this doesn't apply, as a Mountain West, A-10, MVC schools usually are seeded between 12 and 7.

But if you are the same MEAC or SWAC school and always get that 16/16 play in game, as a fan, wouldn't you rather have a shot to win some post season games in the NIT?

I almost think the NIT should allow the losers of the play in games to go to the NIT.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Teams from those conferences are NCAA or bust. I don't think any of the runner ups even make the NIT from places like the MEAC.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Florida Gulf Coast University Dunk Cities are going to beat Florida State this Thursday. Thank you for listening, god bless.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

The Florida Gulf Coast University Dunk Cities are going to beat Florida State this Thursday. Thank you for listening, god bless.

Amen, brother.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Well don't keep it a secret.

Sorry about that, playing a wedding. The group name is Straight Trippin and the password is FuckDuke as always.

I'll post this in the fantasy sports section in a minute.

Edit: changed the title to the correct one.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teams from those conferences are NCAA or bust. I don't think any of the runner ups even make the NIT from places like the MEAC.

The only exception being that any regular season conference winner gets an NIT autobid if they don't win their conference tournament.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

HanabaL03 posted:

Would you rather be a 15/16 seed every year, or be seeded higher in the NIT and have a shot to win games?

For most mid major schools this doesn't apply, as a Mountain West, A-10, MVC schools usually are seeded between 12 and 7.

But if you are the same MEAC or SWAC school and always get that 16/16 play in game, as a fan, wouldn't you rather have a shot to win some post season games in the NIT?

I almost think the NIT should allow the losers of the play in games to go to the NIT.

Those schools probably make more money getting killed by UNC/Kansas/Duke than they would going to the NIT quarterfinals or whatever.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I did the ESPN bracket, for some reason it wouldn't let me pick Evansville to win the tournament? I think it's a bug.

edit: Also have you seen how bad the MEAC and SWAC are? I'm pretty sure none of them have a winning record outside of conference.
edit2: Ok NC Central does but they're the only one.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 14, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's generally how it goes. It's hard out here for an HBCU.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jon Bois did a very long video on the time Troy State beat DeVry(!) 253-141
https://youtu.be/T4afzQyGo5Q

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
This is what I have after round 1

http://freeroundbyround.1.mayhem.cb...ttag=RR17_tw_sh

Khagan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 14, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jon Bois did a very long video on the time Troy State beat DeVry(!) 253-141
https://youtu.be/T4afzQyGo5Q

This is my everything.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't understand why those Pretty Good videos have such low view counts, they're very good and he obviously puts a lot of work into them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Nolan Arenado posted:

I don't understand why those Pretty Good videos have such low view counts, they're very good and he obviously puts a lot of work into them.

It's about inane, niche poo poo that only people who are way into minutiae really appreciate.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

It's about inane, niche poo poo that only people who are way into minutiae really appreciate.

To their everlasting credit SBNation is really good about just letting Bois do whatever weird poo poo he feels like doing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

To their everlasting credit SBNation is really good about just letting Bois do whatever weird poo poo he feels like doing

Agreed. I absolutely love it.

Especially when you get odd things like in this video where one of the editors finds the first recorded dab and Bois then jokes about how that was why she got a promotion to editor-in-chief or whatever.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nolan Arenado posted:

That poo poo is interesting for 5 minutes.. not 35 minutes.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor Bitch?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gonna get stang'd to death

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

That poo poo is interesting for 5 minutes.. not 35 minutes.

It's interesting because he goes so deep on it.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

FartingBedpost posted:

Sorry about that, playing a wedding. The group name is Straight Trippin and the password is FuckDuke as always.

thanks. joined under my username

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I haven't watched college basketball since the days of Tony Bobbitt and Jerry McNamara, but somehow my coworkers have convinced me to make a bracket.

Are there any references for someone who doesn't know a lick about the sport? I'd even take a list of success rates of certain seeds to base my choices on.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Congratulations, you know nothing about college basketball, prepare to win your pool.

I guess you could use this article http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2017-ncaa-tournament-10-tips-to-help-you-win-your-march-madness-office-pool/

Or barring all else, model it on ESPN's People's Bracket, which is really just showing who most people are picking to win.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/nationalBracket

There's a reason it's called March Madness, things rarely make sense.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've been watching this all week and I'll probably just leave it on a loop all summer until football starts.

https://twitter.com/TitanicHoops/status/840746883601563649

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, we all missed a super important thing. UMKC made their first postseason tournament in history! They host Green Bay in the CBI tomorrow at 5:05 local. Go an angry kangaroo.

Let's remember the scintillating appearance of UMKC's best player ever at the NBA dunk contest.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Oh hey, we all missed a super important thing. UMKC made their first postseason tournament in history! They host Green Bay in the CBI tomorrow at 5:05 local. Go an angry kangaroo.

Let's remember the scintillating appearance of UMKC's best player ever at the NBA dunk contest.

Oh whoa

I might go to this

Also thank you so much for the Tony dumas post holy gently caress

stump collector fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 14, 2017

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
a fitting performance for UMKC

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wait a minute here...UMKC has never made any tournament? Seriously?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Wait a minute here...UMKC has never made any tournament? Seriously?

Not at the D1 level. They apparently played in one NAIA tourney in the 70s (they lost their only game).

Or maybe that should be not while a member of the NCAA? I really have no clue how NAIA works.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 14, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well poo poo. In the early 80s they pumped UMKC up like madness like they were something super special (see: Kansas City Comets) and even with Tony Dumas they never made the tournament. I had no idea.

At least they're responsible for the most anatomically incorrect mural of a dunk ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FartingBedpost posted:

Here's a straight link to the group by the way, if Bird in a Blender wants to throw it in the OP or something. It does not include the play in games which is why I was in a hurry just now looking it up, so we've got time to get more people in.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en_CA/group?groupID=1734242

• Locked thread