Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

kiimo posted:

Imagine the poo poo storm in Washington if they lose Porter. They have to be like uh that was the ONE reason we kept you, Lorenzo!

The other brothers are both 4*

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/842135311484370945

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Washington fires coach Lorenzo Romar after 9-22 season

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll have fond memories of the Romar era, such as winning the regular-season conference title and still missing the tournament.

And getting the 1 seed and losing in the Sweet 16.

And going 9-22 with the No. 1 NBA draft pick.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Benne posted:

I'll have fond memories of the Romar era, such as winning the regular-season conference title and still missing the tournament.

That was super funny.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Nate Robinson tho

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There it is.

Paul Biancardi

@PaulBiancardi

Cuonzo Martin will add Michael Porter Sr as an assistant, per sources. Michael Porter Jr did not sign an NLI.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Good on Mr. Porter for getting paid too. I wish the Ball dad had held out for an assistant slot with UCLA, I think we could have had an attempted coup of Alford.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Benne posted:

And getting the 1 seed and losing in the Sweet 16.

And going 9-22 with the No. 1 NBA draft pick.

Romar was both good and cool and bad and not cool. RIP.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Very doubtful that Michael Porter goes to Mizzou. Lesson learned from Fultz,Simmons

Doug, I like you but you are constantly wrong so it's hard to take you seriously about things like this.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't follow college basketball outside of being drunk for UW games. What's next for UW? Any chance of a dope head coach coming here?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Very doubtful that Michael Porter goes to Mizzou. Lesson learned from Fultz,Simmons

Doug, I like you but you are constantly wrong so it's hard to take you seriously about things like this.

The lesson being that you can be the #1 pick even on a lovely team? Like, did he even read what he wrote...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So MU hired Porter's dad, a coach he likes and both his sisters play for Missouri already but he ain't going to MU Gottlieb says because of Fultz? C'mon son.

edit: lol already backpedaling

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

I was told Porter would consider Washington depending on new coach, Oklahoma w/Trae Young or Mizzou

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm assuming this porter kid is really good for how much talk is going on about him in this thread. Ou would be great next year if they are able to pair young with him if true

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Strengths:
He has an incredible combination of size, length, and skill that is almost unprecedented at this early stage of his development. He shoots the ball with deep range, has a high and compact release to get his shot off at virtually any point, and is equally proficient at scoring over top of contesting defenders with his pull-up game inside the lane. He is also pretty fluid with the ball in his hands, has good perimeter footwork off the catch with his jab series, and a good left hand to both score and pass off the dribble. His length (seven-foot-nine wingspan) is absolutely off the charts and so he's going to have some type of impact on the defensive end of the floor as well.

Weaknesses:
Porter isn't yet totally explosive and he can be hesitate to play through contact at times. He's not going to be totally coordinated until he stops growing, and right at the moment there doesn't appear to be any signs of that. He needs to learn to play in straight lines off the dribble, become more assertive, and just a little tougher. Defensively, he's going to need to establish a position for himself and learn to better utilize his tools as a weak-side shot-blocker. He could also be a more consistent rebounder on both ends.

Bottom Line:
His upside is scary good and so while some will make references to the likes of Kevin Garnett, he could also turn out to be more like Austin Daye if he doesn't learn to impact the game more inside the paint and around the rim.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why do you know so much about a high school senior

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seniors are easy, let me tell you about 7-1 sophomore Balsa Koprivica!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

Seniors are easy, let me tell you about 7-1 sophomore Balsa Koprivica!

that's an Ikea product name, you can't fool me

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what do the 16th seed teams get by making it into the first round? Their program must get a stipend and the players get a bunch of cool swag right? There must be something to look forward to other than the inevitable doom they face.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think I said somewhere that I wanted Cuonzo, but I was thinking at a more reasonable price for less years :stare: If he brings this Porter guy (or even just brings his brother later on) that sounds like a nice start though.

So my original thought and why I was good with Cuonzo was that he would get the program to respectability--and I still believe he'll at least do that in a couple/three years--and then you can reevaluate after year 4 or so. Sounds like they're committed to him for the long haul though, I saw somewhere it's a 7 year deal. I suppose if you want a reason to be optimistic we theoretically don't know Cuonzo's ceiling because he's job hopped so much. I have a hard time being optimistic about basketball for some reason though.

One possible benefit if Bruce Pearl gets Auburn rolling and Martin manages to get Mizzou into the top third of the SEC eventually is making Tennessee fans mad, so that part would be cool.

e: And finally getting a few St Louis recruits would be nice.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I guess with this contract length they can get a good gauge on what type of coach he's going to be before they need to start worrying about extending him. If he's consistently in the tourney after year 4, great, work on extending him. If he's only making the NIT, you can start looking at firing him around year 5.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Martin is a bad coach and he hasn't won anything with two NBA players on the team before, but I'm sure if he brings this one guy to Missouri it will be worth hiring him

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh let them have their fun. Martin has been to a Sweet 16 before don't forget.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Martin is a bad coach and he hasn't won anything with two NBA players on the team before, but I'm sure if he brings this one guy to Missouri it will be worth hiring him

I mean it's a done deal, we might as well hope for a few NBA type players even if he is going to be bad. More than we've had in the last 3 years.

I was often mad at the time but Jordan Clarkson and Jabari Brown were by themselves more fun than anything Kim Anderson brought around.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

I was happy with Cuonzo to Mizzou before it was clear he would likely manage to get Porter Jr and family. Now I'm thrilled.

Cuonzo is solid. He isn't Gregg Marshall but that's the worst you can say about him. He consistently has good but so far not great teams. A high floor guy sounds great for Mizzou right now and I don't feel like Cuonzo has been around enough to be certain that he can't have a high ceiling.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

don't know if anyone heard the big news but Chicago's Big Ten Team, that's right I'm talking about the Northwestern Wildcats, are in the NCAA Tournament.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I was told that Wisconsin was Chicago's Big Ten Team

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't know if anyone heard the big news but Chicago's Big Ten Team, that's right I'm talking about the Northwestern Wildcats, are in the NCAA Tournament.

some dingbat was telling me about it on NPR the other day.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

I was told that Wisconsin was Chicago's Big Ten Team

nope, it is northwestern, they wouldn't let them put it on a billboard if it wasn't true

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pshh maybe for you northsiders, it's all Indiana down in the drain where the Grabowskis live.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
In, let's see if Obama's first two rounds fail me this time.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah, sounds like a solid enough hire, in that he isn't just, "WELL, HE'S A NATIVE SON," or have a bad history of sanctions.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what do the 16th seed teams get by making it into the first round? Their program must get a stipend and the players get a bunch of cool swag right? There must be something to look forward to other than the inevitable doom they face.

Well, one of them will win eventually! So there's that...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nolan Arenado posted:

Well, one of them will win eventually! So there's that...
Other than championships for your teams this is the top thing everyone hopes they live to see right?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it is extremely cool, when your team plays in the ncaa tournament

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Other than championships for your teams this is the top thing everyone hopes they live to see right?

I have vivid memories of all of the somewhat close 16/1 games of my lifetime, I think it probably is the top thing I want to see. Kind of surprising it hasn't happened yet.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nolan Arenado posted:

I have vivid memories of all of the somewhat close 16/1 games of my lifetime, I think it probably is the top thing I want to see. Kind of surprising it hasn't happened yet.

I know Georgetown-Princeton gets cited a lot, but the one that's always stuck with me is Western Carolina just not quite getting their shot at the very end against Purdue.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if a 16 seed upset duke, would they even bother holding the rest of the tournament or would they just declare that team the champ and everyone would party for two weeks

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My proudest moment in a bracket ever is still getting Lehigh > Duke

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

R.D. Mangles posted:

if a 16 seed upset duke, would they even bother holding the rest of the tournament or would they just declare that team the champ and everyone would party for two weeks

I would not be opposed to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
pretty sure Chicago's big ten team is somehow Notre Dame

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

My proudest moment in a bracket ever is still getting Lehigh > Duke

I picked the final four and subsequent games in 2004 and am pretty sure I've lost a final four team on day 1 every year since then

• Locked thread