Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean the NCAA is still mostly the same programs at or near the top every year. To the extent it has parity it's because they decide the title with a single elimination tournament. If it went to an NBA like playoff it'd probably be some combination of Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/UNC/MSU year after year. Basketball is inheriently a hard sport to have parity in. The best players have too significant of an impact and there are too many scoring opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm inclined to agree that it makes it kinda boring but I also don't really see a way to fix it unless you want to ban him from the sport for being to good at his job. It's not like they're doing something wrong, they're just way better. I guess appreciate that you're watching history? Presumably it will end eventually just like UCLA basketball in the Wooden era

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I admittedly don't watch it at all but even beyond UConn, women's basketball seems pretty shallow and it seems like they should consider making the tournament field smaller. The first few rounds can get really ugly a lot of the time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

The women have had a 16 seed win before, haven't they? It does seem like most of those games are like 95-31 though.

They did but iirc the best player on the one seed got hurt right before the tournament

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe there's a good reason you feel this way but I always assume these guys are coming back until we hear otherwise. Especially if he's considering going to Europe or whatever, if you've made up your mind why not just hire an agent?

This is what happened last year. A bunch of guys who weren't getting drafted tested the waters without hiring an agent, people freaked out, and they almost all came back. And for some reason people were mad even though it is indisputably a good thing for the players to have the chance to do this.

In other news, like half Nebraska's roster is transferring, most notably Ed Morrow, who was one of their better players. I've seen some message board rumblings about Glynn Watson maybe leaving too but that's probably BS. Still seems like maybe a bad sign for Miles, who already had a really hot seat.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
P3t3r Jok, 3 point champ :unsmith:

E:Y chromosome division

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 31, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand college dunkfest ends with a wet fart. shameful

They should have given it to the 2nd place dude anyway, he was by far the best actual dunker. Real bad at bounce passing to himself though

Nolan Arenado posted:

I didn't see it but my dad texted me "Naz Long was terrible, why the hell did he wear sunglasses?!"

He was probs gonna lose either way but this was very funny. Pete had the high score in every round and was the only guy to crack 20 in all 3. Even when he lost to the woman's winner it was a tie where he lost on a tie breaker. Dude can shoot

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 31, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We'll see how it goes and maybe he'll be a monster recruiter but based on every story I've ever seen about him as an assistant there's a very good reason he hasn't gotten the NBA head coaching job he's wanted for so long.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

finally Bill Raftery's reign of terror comes to an end

or does he do nba too

Imagine being the sort of awful person who does not love Bill Raftery

Also re: Roy, he's still getting really highly rated recruits, he just does a lovely job featuring them early on so they wind up having to stay longer and hurting their stock. Jackson was a projected lottery pick out of high school but he looked like crap before this year. If I had lottery asperations I feel like he's one of the last guys I'd play for at this point.

It's crazy how warped a sense of recruiting fans of the top tier blue blood programs have. Ugh he's ONLY a top 15 prospect? How can we even compete with these scrubs? Gonna need a miracle out of ol' Roy.

Meanwhile Iowa signed two top 100 guys and I'm thrilled. We might as well play different sports.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jeez, Northern Iowa is the best program in the valley by a mile now that WSU is gone, assuming the recent drop off isn't a permanent thing. That conference is a shell of what it was like 10 years ago.

PotatoJudge posted:

Caleb Swanigan isn't hiring an agent, leaving a slim chance he'll be back for his junior season.

I don't think there's a lot he can do to improve his stock barring a sudden growth spurt, but he's not exactly a first round lock. I think there's a decent chance he comes back.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Speaking of schools with a serious transfer isssue, Nebraska just lost another today too. I don't think Tim Miles is gonna last much longer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yahoo is second only to Every Local Newspaper when it comes to having consistently awful and racist comment sections

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
e: accidental double post

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought that ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI used to play a real tournament, but I think all they do now is the two smaller teams rotate which of the big teams they play every year. ISU and Iowa obviously play every year.

This is a pretty recent change. Prior to like 5 years ago Iowa and ISU played both UNI and Drake every year, and rotated home and away with them. I think they both got sick of playing at UNI every other year so they created the dumb Hy Vee classic in Des Moines that no one seems to actually care about. UNI fans especially hate it because it took away their biggest home game every year.

E: maybe Drake fans hate it too, I dunno. You would actually have to find one to know for sure. They still lose one big OOC game, but at least the one they get is in their home city

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 25, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Until they hire an agent it doesn't mean anything, people seriously need to stop freaking out about this every year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU is getting a forward from Nebraska. He's 6'-9" 240 lbs, so he'll and some size at least, which I feel is something ISU has struggled with for a while. Has to sit out a year though. Anyone have any clue if he's good?

He's a decent rebounder but that's about it. He shot under 40% from the floor last year despite ostensibly being a post player

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College fanbases thinking their school has a genuine shot at hiring Brad Stevens is the funniest thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College fanbases thinking their school has a genuine shot at hiring Brad Stevens is the funniest thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe Alford wants to get away from the Ball family now that his kid graduated.

Don't tease me

Ahahaha oh god please

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
*watches warriors win every playoff game by 30*

Get me the man who made this team a 6 seed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Iowa State reaction to that would be very funny but no great college coaches at OSU please. Do the Mark Jackson thing instead.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe he has another son

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

He's good enough to stop the bleeding. The program was going into complete collapse. He's not that exciting though

Even if you think what he's done is more impressive than it looks because he's been doing it at Creighton, his record at Iowa State throws some cold water on that thinking

Creighton was a really good program before he got there and the most impressive thing he's done for them was impregnating Doug's mom

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

The Missouri will flood with the tears of Creighton's whitebread fans if Greg leaves Omaha

gently caress that fanbase full of corny white people, said the nebraska fan, somehow without irony, as he clutched his red balloon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/landof10osu/status/872864920592953345

Let's goooooooooo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

How did they manage to pay him below minimum wage :jebstare: Meanwhile, Butler :argh:s over their coaches continuing to be poached from them.

(Yeah yeah, I know, that's million per year)

They can get Lickliter back now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one is more devoted to The Butler Way and you definitely would not have to worry about a major conference team poaching him!

e: his team finished 7th in their NAIA conference last year lmao

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 9, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan's been a head coach for one year and his team was awful. If he had played literally anywhere else he wouldn't sniff a job like Butler in a million years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cordell Pemsl just had surgery to repair two torn groin muscles that he somehow played basically the entirety of last season with, which seems insane. He averaged 9/5 and shot 62% from the field as a true freshman playing with two torn groins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He has literally made the final 4 in half his seasons at UK

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Counterpoint: having lots of super good players is actually good, as evidenced by his extremely successful teams

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The Davis team actually proves your point. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores and Darius Miller was a senior, and they were just coming off a Final Four appearance. Davis and MKG were by far the best players on the team but they didn't do it alone. The 39-1 team is another example of how good you can be when you have some experience returning.

This debate is actually pretty common among Kentucky fans.

Those guys were also 5 star recruits!! Terrance Jones was like Top 10 in his class.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sure that's bad, but have you considered that he never broke the NCAA's garbage rules and had a very high graduation rate?????

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Very angry that players may have actually made some money and glad the FBI is taking a stand here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan Men would nev-hey what happened to all those banners?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Well we know Rick's always down for a quick and unsatisfying probe

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Iowa did anything here but I'm still willing to vacate the entire Todd Lickliter era as a good faith gesture

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/patrickmccaff22/status/916084236607557633

Shocking recruiting news out of Iowa City. He's Top 30 in the current Rivals 2019 rankings so if that holds he'll also be our highest rated recruit since at least 2003 (which is the farthest the Rivals archive goes back). Fran married well

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 6, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

What's the loving point of forcing kids to spend a year in school when it's not really "school." Other than to make money off of them without them making a profit first, of course.

That's the NBA's rule, it doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. NBA owners want players who have already received wide exposure so they can market them and the draft, and there's slightly less risk in drafting someone with a year of college than someone straight out of high school. And unfortunately the players union doesn't seem to have much interest in fighting them on it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 13, 2017

• Locked thread