Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I once got college credit for playing kickball I'm not shittalking anyone's cake classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
During Iowa's media day Fran said he's snitched on other teams to the NCAA, which as a firm anti-narc I find incredibly disappointing unless it involved snitching on Illinois, which is one of the proudest Iowa basketball traditions

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

guy named Fran is a bitch. Who knew?

get it guys because girls

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Yeah bro it's a diversion so KU can avoid conversations about the FBI

:rolleyes:

man you are really humorless when it comes to KU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/922467416923344896

Also, preseason kenpom is out (which is a bad projection system, but w/e)
Big Ten:
1 (10) - Michigan State
2 (17) - Purdue
3 (18) - Northwestern
4 (31) - Wisconsin
5 (32) - Michigan
6 (36) - Minnesota
7 (40) - Penn State
8 (41) - Maryland
9 (54) - Iowa
10 (65) - Indiana
11 (78) - Ohio State
12 (98) - Nebraska
13 (104) - Illinois
14 (125) - Rutgers

e: (203) - Indiana State

I think Iowa is more like 5 or 6 if everyone (especially Bohannon, because ugh our guard depth) stays healthy. Jok is a big loss but they actually played well last year without him most of the time and literally everyone else is back. Cook was a monster down the stretch last year and we'll actually have a real center this season with Garza.

I think this also probably understates just how bad OSU and Nebraska are going to be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

He believes it will help Missouri recruit. Same reason he won't play Wichita State.

Nah, he's definitely scared of WSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I mean I'll give him this much credit. He was refusing to play Wichita State long before they mattered.

In Self's perfect world KU is the only program in the region that matters. If KU somehow got into the Big 10 and K State didn't he'd drop them like a hot rock too. If he could get into the Big 10 on some weird clause that KU never had to play Nebraska of all unimportant teams he would go for it. It's an understandable but cutthroat approach.

Or he could recognize that he's coaching at loving Kansas, isn't actually competiting with Wichita for recruits in any meaningful way, and stop being such a wuss.

I am mostly trying to trigger kimo with these posts ssshhh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

KU would be forced to play MU by law if they were in the same state like UK and UL. UK wouldn't play Louisville either if they weren't forced to because it makes sense to do what is in the best interest of your program for recruiting and for footprint for out of conference games. There are only so many of them.

Personally I think we should play them because its fun but I don't really hold grudges. MU fans will say it's because Self is a chicken but that's really because there's no other argument that works. It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

If anyone outside of KC is confused by this I don't blame you. You kind of have to be from KC to understand the constant game of thrones going on between KU, MU and K-State.

Wichita State doesn't loving matter. gently caress those guys.

As is usually the case when people on the internet say this, I don't think there is actually a literal law requiring UK and UL to play every year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Did this not go through?

Also a bill was introduced to force Texas and aTm to play each other. I wonder if that went through.

There have been like house resolutions and stuff calling for them to play every year but that doesn't actually have the force of law

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the state's board of regents (if they have one) used these resolutions when approving schedules, though.

I'm sure there's some local political pressure to keep playing it and I doubt think it's in any serious danger of ending because it's way too profitable a game, I just saying it isn't actually mandated by law. For some reason "Team X is REQUIRED BY LAW to play in-state school Y" is a very common thing on fanboards even though it's almost never actually true. Iowa fans say it about the ISU game all the time too and it's not true there either (some regents or people on the legislature would probably make a stink if it ended but in theory it could end when the contract is up in 2023 or whatever it is and Iowa's AD has periodically talked about putting it on hold for a year or two to get some variety in the schedule).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dogshit is probably harsh but a big step back from where they've been. They lost a ton of production and I don't think any former five stars have been kicked out of Marquette recently, which is a big blow to recruiting

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Christian Williams is leaving Iowa and will most likely be replaced as the backup PG by Connor McCaffrey (Fran's son, who was a top 100 recruit and was initially going to redshirt which I was never a huge fan of). I like Williams defensively but he was way overmatched on offense and never looked like a natural PG. I suspect Connor was outplaying him in practice pretty badly, he's a much better fit for the position. Hopefully Williams finds a mid-major where he can play more off guard. He can't really shoot but he's super long and has some talent, especially if he can get out in transition.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 27, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think Prohm has been doing a good job recruiting so far. Of course we’ll see how it pans out the next couple years.

Bless he and Hoiberg for basically ignoring in state kids. Not that they need them if they can recruit well out of state, but the talent level has been on the rise lately and Iowa's been pretty much locking it down (it helps that two of the best recent local prospects are the coach's sons). Weiskamp sounds like he's going to be awesome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really don’t pay that much attention to recruiting, but it’s hard to dedicate a scholarship to an Iowa kid when you only have like 4 to give out every year.

I mean there have definitely been guys who would be worth one. Iowa's had good teams recently built heavily around in state kids and while we don't have the recent highs ISU does, there were several who would have definitely been able to contribute at ISU. Weiskamp is rated way higher than all of ISU's 18 commits too. ISU did offer him, to be fair, but I think them not recruiting the state very hard for a long time let Fran come in and build relationships with the high school and AAU coaches in the area, that have been paying off. Iowa seems to be a lot better positioned with the highly ranked in state kids right now for the most part, even the ones with ISU offers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Georgia Tech is looking increasingly hosed as well, Pastner’s bagman tossed his toys out of the crib after not getting a birthday card.

That story is so dumb and they should if anything give GT an extra scholarship as a gently caress you to that dumb baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nic Baer broke a finger and is probably out until at least the start of conference play which sucks both because he’s one of the three best players on the team and because he’s one of like theee possible wings on the roster. Right now they’re talking about starting Ahmad Wagner at small forward and he’s barely skilled enough to play power forward.

• Locked thread