Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

HOLY gently caress WE'RE A 7-SEED IN GREENVILLE

HOLY gently caress WE'RE EVEN IN THE TOURNAMENT​ AT ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Please root for us to Do Good Things. We haven't been to the tourney since 2004 and haven't even won a game there since the 70s. I'm just so loving excited, y'all don't even know.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina unfortunately ended the season on a low note, having devolved into the Sindarius Thornwell One-Man Show. We're a pretty complete team when he gets some support, but it seems like the entire roster is in a funk right now except for him. Frank Martin is usually a pretty good tournament coach, so hopefully that and the opportunity to actually be in March Madness for once will light a fire under these guys. Regardless, I am beyond happy to be here, and to be playing in S.C. to boot.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

You should try to beat Duke in my opinion. It would be good

Extremely same.

But seeing as we haven't won a tournament game in 40 years, I'm gonna start small here and just hope that we beat Marquette.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

RUMBY

MY DEACS MADE IT YAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

I'm so loving happy for you, dude. :unsmith:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

N: South Carolina wins an NCAA tournament game for the first time since 1973 in its first appearance since 2004.

V:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Nolan Arenado posted:

This is my second favorite Gamecock moment, first is Devan Downey taking down undefeated Kentucky in 2010.

Oh yeah, Devan Downey is one of my favorite basketball humans for sure. Sindarius Thornwell is better than him, but Downey was truly heroic for having literally nothing else around him.

Kibner posted:

Was that the game that was all darude all the time? Because that owned.

Ha, yup. At one point, even Demarcus Cousins was bobbing his head along to it during a timeout.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hmm, it seems a certain conference is Actually loving Good at basketball.

:secsmug:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Oklahoma State just hired Mike Boynton. Gamecocks stay winning.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Just woke up from a really bizarre dream that the South Carolina men's basketball team made the Final Four. Anyway, I hope the actual tournament has been cool.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Please god let UConn lose this game. State would absolutely not be a guaranteed win for us, but we did at least beat them earlier this year.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I was joking with a buddy earlier that I was hoping State could at least rough up UConn or take them to OT or something. Never thought it'd actually happen, this game owns.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Nolan Arenado posted:

So I would bet like $10,000 that Uconn still wins and I bet none of you would take that bet. :smith:

Yeah, close games against UConn have this really unfortunate habit of turning into 15+ point blowouts within the blink of an eye. But it seems like UConn has maybe played with their food a little too long in this one.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I swear to god if that flop bails them out...

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

If I were the MSU coach, I'd not only get tossed, but probably arrested for assault. Holy poo poo.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

HAHAHAHA YESSSSSS gently caress OFF UCONN

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

BALL DON'T LIE.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

:secsmug:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Democrazy posted:

Second greatest upset in the sport, I would argue. Also, now I get to root for Dawn Staley, who I really like.

:hfive:

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Probably the biggest win in school history in any sport. Can't wait to lose to SCar again :^)

This is definitely not a guaranteed L for y'all. Both of our games this season were fiercely competitive, and it's hard beating a team three times. We'll need our A game for sure.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I was unfortunately too caught up in moving yesterday to see much of the game, but I'm so incredibly happy for the Lady Gs and Dawn Staley. It's been a really fun ride to watch her build this program, and also to watch how fully the school/community has embraced it. Staley's an excellent ambassador of the university and overall an A+ human being -- definitely one of my favorite coaches who's ever been at USC. The fact that A'ja Wilson, a hometown girl, was MVP is just the cherry on top. Well deserved finish to the season for this team.

Oh, and virtually the entire roster returns next year. :getin:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We finished sixth in the final coaches poll. :unsmith: What a loving season.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

After a two-year absence, we're gonna be back in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge and hosting Texas Tech. Should be fun.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm a little concerned about Lamont Evans' involvement because he was an assistant at South Carolina before leaving for Oklahoma State. Judging by the timeline (and our general lack of NBA talent), he didn't really get going with all this until after he left, but it does appear he tried bribing one of our players on his way out the door (likely PJ Dozier). There's no evidence that it worked, as far I've seen, but guess we'll just have to wait for more information to come out. I'm not super worried, but I'm also not happy we're gonna have to deal with this on some level.

Anyway, it's pretty wild that Pitino will get shitcanned for compensating players financially and not hiring sex workers for recruits to play with.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Add Bama to the list, apparently: their associate AD resigned and they're conducting an internal review of the basketball program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Well, the playbook on the NCAA is officially out. Deny everything, refuse to cooperate, and lawyer up. Any school that preemptively punishes itself for anything remotely academic in nature after this is dumb as hell.

It's fascinating that paying players is a federal crime while defrauding your student body isn't something the NCAA has jurisdiction over. That last part may be true, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. In any event, I guess we're all free to just ignore the NCAA forever now.

• Locked thread