Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm still pissed they make the 16 seeds play in play in games. You win your conference you've earned the right to tell your kids you got your rear end beat by a bunch of future NBA guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I want a 14/15 sweet sixteen matchup in the east.

e: I'm all sorts of confused, brackets are hard

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--wasn't Wisconsin an 8? Although no real argument that they don't seem like they should both be on the 8/9 line.

North Carolina/Arkansas could be a really fun game if it happens. It could also easily be a relentless beatdown.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Foochs got his wish, Wake and K State in a play in game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Vandy's pretty beatable too, NW might get a win.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DC Murderverse posted:

Dunk City gets a home game

Against Florida State though, coulda been a bigger advantage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

So did the Missouri Valley just suck rear end this year?

Pretty much, after Illinois State and Wichita State the third team in conference finished with a 17-16 record. Well Loyola was 18-14 but finished with a worse conference record.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, now here's Charles with some quality college basketball observations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah Gonzaga doesn't deserve that poo poo. They never play anyone good aside from St. Mary's.

It's so annoying that they get rewarded for winning a ton in their conference. Yet schools like Butler could never get higher than a 5 seed when they would roll through their conferences like the Horizon.

This would ring a little truer if they didn't play and beat Arizona this year. Iowa State and Florida are good wins too.

Yeah their conference sucks for sure though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I doubt anyone is hype for the Deacs but I'M SO loving HAPPY YOU GUYS

You'd damned well better win the play-in game after all that talking during the Big 12 tournament.

Also because Bruce Weber doesn't deserve any good things, ever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Listen, IF K-State plays how they did especially against WVU our guards will roast them.. Maybe they have some power level I haven't seen yet but yeah.

Will definitely be cheering for you.

Adun posted:

UNC has 7 losses and went 1-2 vs. Duke so if they deserve a 2 seed then hard to argue Duke doesn't

Speaking of losses further down the bracket goddamn Vandy has a ton of them. Including a 20 point loss to Mizzou.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Poque posted:

Wichita St with the rare KenPom rank (8) better than their actual seed (10)

Looked it up for the hell of it, the only other time a KenPom top 10 team had a double digit seed was 2014 Tennessee. Pomeroy had them ranked #10, they were an 11 seed.

Tennessee advanced to the Sweet 16 and lost to 2 seed Michigan by 2. They did avoid Duke in the round of 32 because Mercer beat them in the first round.

e: Oh Tennessee had to play a play in game too, they beat Iowa there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Welsh-Ryan was insane.

Congrats, go beat Vandy.

Then, uh...good luck. You're better than most of the WCC!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Regnevelc posted:

Also - how hot is Crean's seat? It's gotta be on fire soon..

The Missouri coaching search rumors are just assuming he'll be fired and no one else will want him. Not quite to the Matt Painter levels of 'it's a done deal' at this point, but a lot of people will be disappointed if Indiana keeps him (and then more disappointed if he's fired and like, any other P5 programs go after him--or if he just decides to take a year off or something).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

dont be mean, illinois is going to have a systemic shock from seeing NU in the tournament. the sputnik moment, if you will, leading to UIUC's space race and eventual moon landing of a national title under the best coach & players money can buy

First off I'll agree that Marshall in like 99.95% of possible worlds isn't going to leave for Illinois or Mizzou, but out of curiosity how is Illinois money wise these days? I remember you guys were broke not too long ago, and you need to get to like 3.5/year just to pay him more than he's already making at Wichita State (that Koch money flows freely for him). And to entice him to a currently bad school in a tougher conference yeah I'd say kiimo's right and the bidding would start at somewhere around 4 million/year and that might not be enough to even make him think about it.

Having said that if you've got the money he's still the first call you make just to see if there's a possibility.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know Illinois and Mizzou both have some deep basketball history, but it seems like forever ago for Mizzou.

It was only five years ago Mizzou was a #2 seed (and flushed out of the tournament in the first round, but still they were one of the better teams in the nation). Which is insane, it certainly feels like it's been about 20 years.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 13, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So has anyone set up a goon bracket group?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, we all missed a super important thing. UMKC made their first postseason tournament in history! They host Green Bay in the CBI tomorrow at 5:05 local. Go an angry kangaroo.

Let's remember the scintillating appearance of UMKC's best player ever at the NBA dunk contest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Wait a minute here...UMKC has never made any tournament? Seriously?

Not at the D1 level. They apparently played in one NAIA tourney in the 70s (they lost their only game).

Or maybe that should be not while a member of the NCAA? I really have no clue how NAIA works.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 14, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FartingBedpost posted:

Sorry about that, playing a wedding. The group name is Straight Trippin and the password is FuckDuke as always.

I'll post this in the fantasy sports section in a minute.

Edit: changed the title to the correct one.

Here's a straight link to the group by the way, if Bird in a Blender wants to throw it in the OP or something. It does not include the play in games which is why I was in a hurry just now looking it up, so we've got time to get more people in.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en_CA/group?groupID=1734242

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Speaking of gently caress Duke ESPN played NCAA pictionary at some point today and this happened when Jay Williams was up:

The answer was Duke Blue Devil, and that's supposed to be Grayson Allen tripping someone and not what everyone in the world thinks of at first

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think I said somewhere that I wanted Cuonzo, but I was thinking at a more reasonable price for less years :stare: If he brings this Porter guy (or even just brings his brother later on) that sounds like a nice start though.

So my original thought and why I was good with Cuonzo was that he would get the program to respectability--and I still believe he'll at least do that in a couple/three years--and then you can reevaluate after year 4 or so. Sounds like they're committed to him for the long haul though, I saw somewhere it's a 7 year deal. I suppose if you want a reason to be optimistic we theoretically don't know Cuonzo's ceiling because he's job hopped so much. I have a hard time being optimistic about basketball for some reason though.

One possible benefit if Bruce Pearl gets Auburn rolling and Martin manages to get Mizzou into the top third of the SEC eventually is making Tennessee fans mad, so that part would be cool.

e: And finally getting a few St Louis recruits would be nice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Martin is a bad coach and he hasn't won anything with two NBA players on the team before, but I'm sure if he brings this one guy to Missouri it will be worth hiring him

I mean it's a done deal, we might as well hope for a few NBA type players even if he is going to be bad. More than we've had in the last 3 years.

I was often mad at the time but Jordan Clarkson and Jabari Brown were by themselves more fun than anything Kim Anderson brought around.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: oops double post

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ubiquitus posted:

So you Missou fans just read about Romar being fired right? I would liken Cuonzo to a younger Romar. He will ~usually~ put out above mediocre teams, every now and then he will manage to stay on the tourney-go-round for a full revolution before being popped off.

He is still very much in the Romar mold though, he will waste so much goddamn talent it will be sickening (if he recruits at Missou like he did at Cal). But if you guys have had years as bad as some of you have let on, then yeah I'm sure you will be happy with him. Personally he has never impressed me at Cal, but good on him for makin some money and going home.

Oh I'm pretty sure by around year 4 or 5 a sizable amount of the fan base will want him fired, and it wouldn't surprise me if I was one of them. But the last 5 years have been just painfully terrible--especially the last 3 years, the high point of which was a 10-21season. Before that Frank Haith was bringing in transfers instead of recruiting and torpedoing the school's APR and doing something or other than created NCAA sanctions (which he bravely ran away from to Tulsa literally a day or two after he found out). So for at least the first 3 years Cuonzo just has to not be awful, and if he sniffs the NCAA tournament it'll be a success.

Having said that we like to pretend we should be a pretty decent basketball school and feel like being in the tournament most every year and making a solid run every 4-5 years or so is a reasonable goal. Which would be a pretty big surprise if Cuonzo was able to do that.

I expect people to like him at first and then turn on him after a few years basically.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't think I can get too worked up. I have a feeling that he's going to keep his suitcase out and this will turn out to be Mike Anderson pt. 2.

This is kinda what I expected too when I thought about the idea of Cuonzo Martin before he was hired, but he's getting paid pretty well. He'll have to be pretty successful for someone to offer him enough to move on, or for a better program to want him. Which I guess would be a good news/bad news thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apparently Michael Porter Jr did sign a letter of intent to play for Washington. Sounds like they're going to let him (and the rest of the class) out of it if he doesn't want to play for the new coach though.

I guess we'll have to wait until Washington hires someone to see where he goes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

americanzero4128 posted:

Edit - not at all who I expected. Unless he keeps Walker on staff I think Tilmon is gone. He needs to keep Tilmon, he's made good connections in St. Louis.

Cuonzo's already offered Walker a job, so as a Missouri fan I hope he takes it. If I were an Illinois fan I'd hope Underwood offers him more than he needs to stay.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gvibes posted:

Is IU smart enough to hire Gregg Marshall?

First opening in a while where I could imagine him doing it, but for some reason I bet they don't.

e: Or he decides not to, which is possible.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

There's like, nothing particularly bad about that video. I mean, it's embarrassing but there's none of the cursing or going after Kentucky players he claimed was going on unless I missed something.

Not saying that didn't happen, just saying I don't know why she'd be overly pissed about the video itself.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Missouri can fire Cuonzo Martin in the first 3 years of his contract without cause if he doesn't get a 20 win season.

Here's where I have to remind myself after the last few years that 20 wins in college basketball at a big school isn't all that impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

He's probably going to Mizzou but for what it's worth he like, JUST released four schools in the running: Oklahoma, Washington, Missouri, Virginia.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/michael-porter-jr-washington-release-recruiting#sthash.2HLWhS4L.uxfs

If I were guessing I'd think OU if he doesn't go to Mizzou, he's got a buddy going there he'd like to play with I think I read somewhere.

It's super weird even being in this discussion by the way, let alone being the odds on favorite.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh Georgetown actually fired John Thompson III, which is surprising only because of his last name.

That ought to be a really good job, but I have no clue who they go after unless John Thompson IV is ready to go.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Milovan Drecun posted:

I've now twice seen the claim made that Michigan was the most efficient offense this season. What metric is this based on?

They were fourth by Kenpom's adjusted O, which isn't first but is pretty good. I guess there's probably some metric out there that has them first?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Has Missouri ever had the top recruit in the nation?

The only guys I can think of that might have been that high are from like the 80s, and I don't know if they even had recruiting rankings back then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, the local papers in Washington are taking the news well.

quote:

Michael Porter Jr. on Wednesday was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year, a formal honor that barely describes his obvious status as the greatest talent ever to grace a basketball floor.

That's the first line and it gets worse from there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've spent the evening reading about Michael Porter Jr and being excited about college basketball for the first time in about 5 years while two lovely blowouts and one closish were going on, and then right when I get done that UF/Wisconsin OT happens.

Today was a good college basketball day for me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gvibes posted:

KAREEM RUSH

Was he that high? I know he was a big get but I was thinking like, Stipanovich or maybe Derrick Chevious were the likeliest guys.

e: Haha, I'd forgotten about Linas Kleiza too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Not officially but you'd have to imagine Mizzou are the strong frontrunners for him.

I'd assume the package means Jontay would change up years to play with his brother. And yeah that's not official either but if he was even thinking about it I'd think it was on the table.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

I think the first Rush brother was either the top prospect or really close to it.

If I remember right the first Rush brother was the alcoholic though, so...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gvibes posted:

I'm glad Indiana didn't hire a Marshall or a Bennett or whatever. I am somewhat indifferent to Miller.

I think he's a pretty good coach, but Indiana was always going to end up with a pretty good coach.

You should obviously be wishing they hired Alford, but we all were.

• Locked thread