Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure how I should feel about UW losing Porter, but I also think it was time for Romar to go. We have the person who's probably gonna go high in the draft yet we still went 9-22. Porter will probably be a one and done, which isn't a great way to build a program I would think, unless you can constantly recruit them.

Romar was a super excellent amazing recruiter, he just happened to be a very bad coach.

I expect to say this same thing about Cuonzo in about three years.

Actually maybe one year will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Democrazy posted:

The woman's tournament was eventful yesterday, with 1 seeds Baylor and Norte Dame both going down. This is significant both because it shows just how competitive the women's game is getting, and because now the top three teams pegged as giving UConn the most trouble (ND, Baylor and Maryland) are now gone before UConn even sees them.

And UConn is expected to be a much better team next year.

Hmmm....:what:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

I'm sure, as a Louisville Alumni, you are not pleased with UK fans/alumni response to the death spiral UL seems like it's in.

I gotta say speaking as a fan of a team that just went through a death spiral and was excited as goddamned hell for Cuonzo Martin of all coaches (even before the Michael Porter Jr thing happened) Louisville is not in a death spiral.

When they hire a D2 coach just because he once played there we can talk.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, I guess that would up the ante a little more than a basketball scandal.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is way more variance in the NBA than in women's college ball. Which says a LOT.

Yeah unless you want to go back to old school UCLA or the Bill Russell Celtics there's not really any comparison.

I mean unless you're a fan of the team you hate Alabama football, but they're nowhere near UConn's run since 2002. Which would probably be even better if it wasn't for the other best coach in women's basketball history being at Tennessee for a good chunk of that time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

I admittedly don't watch it at all but even beyond UConn, women's basketball seems pretty shallow and it seems like they should consider making the tournament field smaller. The first few rounds can get really ugly a lot of the time.

Yeah I don't watch it at all either but I'd imagine the sport needs to mature if that makes sense? UConn's on a separate level but even past them it seems like there are always the same 3 or 4 teams that could theoretically give them trouble. It kinda reminds me of women's international hockey, like 98% of the talent is is playing for two teams and everyone else is cannon fodder.

Women's basketball needs some bag men and dirty recruiting to spread the talent out.

e: And Democrazy did say it was getting better past UConn recently and it isn't like I know enough to call him wrong, so maybe that's the start.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Panzeh posted:

Is NCAA women's basketball any less dominated by slow paced coach-dominated offense than the men's game?

They had the 30 second shot clock since 1970. The men didn't get a shot clock at all until 1985, and then it was 45 seconds.

I mean it still might not be as fast as you'd like, but they've been ahead of the curve as far as forcing teams to at least attempt shots.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

James Blackmon Jr. has declared for the draft without hiring an agent. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he's most likely going pro somewhere. I'd imagine OG will declare soon too.

Maybe there's a good reason you feel this way but I always assume these guys are coming back until we hear otherwise. Especially if he's considering going to Europe or whatever, if you've made up your mind why not just hire an agent?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Someone link me the flagrant foul/flop please, since I understandably didn't bother to watch this game with it's foregone conclusion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, oh god I've been shot by a wrist!
'
Yeah I would have been pretty damned mad if I was watching the game and saw that live.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

So people are saying this is Gonzaga's first Final Four ever, but I could've sworn that Adam Morrison(? the mustache & mullet guy) played at Gonzaga and that his weird on-court nervous breakdown was in the title game like a decade ago. What am I remembering wrong here?

Pretty sure it's this game which was a 2 point loss in the Elite 8.

e: Oops that was Sweet 16.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 2, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aggro posted:

So if UNC wins Monday, this will be the least memorable tournament of the decade. At least if Gonzaga wins, it's the first win by a non Power 5 team since what, UTEP in 66?

Decided to look this up for the hell of it. Every tournament winner I found not in the P5/what would become those conferences or Big East:

2014 UConn - AAC
1990 UNLV - Big West
1986 Louisville - Metro
1980 Louisville - Metro
1977 Marquette - Independent
1966 UTEP - Independent
1963 Loyola - Independent
1962 Cincinnati - Missouri Valley
1961 Cincinnati - Missouri Valley
1956 San Francisco - California Basketball Association
1955 San Francisco - California Basketball Association
1954 La Salle - Independent
1950 City College of NY - Metropolitan NY
1947 Holy Cross - Independent
1946 Oklahoma State - Missouri Valley
1945 Oklahoma State - Missouri Valley
1944 Utah - Indepentdent
1943 Wyoming - Mountain States Athletic

It's possible I missed one but I think that's all of them.

e: Duh, missed UConn. Also I thought Oklahoma State was in the Big 6 or whatever it was back then, I guess they were MVC.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 2, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/848967112991178752

I don't know if he counts as a big name anymore but I wonder if they swung and missed on Tommy Amaker.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah it kinda sounds like a 'resign because you can't stop making GBS threads on a murder victim or we'll fire you' situation.

Which of course brings up the question why they would have hired him in the first place.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Meanwhile Iowa signed two top 100 guys and I'm thrilled. We might as well play different sports.

It's the weirdest loving feeling having a reason to pay attention to recruiting now. 5* Kevin Knox is visiting Mizzou this weekend and considering playing with Porter. I'd imagine he'll still end up at Duke, but even being in this discussions is insane.

Luckily Missouri will never have to worry about the success of a Roy Williams, probably being a bubble team with a good (hopefully great) player or two is enough to get used to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hahaha. This is amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

americanzero4128 posted:

Decommitted two days after retweeting his original tweet that he's staying with the U of I. drat.

He's another guy who Missouri fans want, I figured it was over after that retweet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Perhaps you could take McDonald's All American Carlton Bragg.

Well he's not your problem anymore.

Aside from being kind of a dumbass from what I gather what was his problem on the court?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Saw that earlier and it's a good thing. I'd obviously love to steal Knox away from Duke (although I still doubt that happens) but I might be more excited about the possibility of Tillmon even if he isn't quite as good of a prospect.

I just want as few minutes for Reed Nikko and maybe Mitchell Smith if his knee heals as possible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just rename it, it's giddy Mizzou fans just happy to be around and random posts about other things for a few months.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That sucks. I wonder what his legacy will be, sometimes people still bring up the Fab 5 like he should have been able to control that mess.

I mean, I guess he technically could have, but it would have been by not having those guys on his team.

Also looking up his coaching record I'd forgotten it took him a full decade to really get going at SDSU.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Willninho posted:

Technically Royce White.

Haha, there's more technically here than in most 'technically' statements.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, Grayson Allen is coming back instead of going to the draft.

:geno:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some kind of state series coming, I imagine.

https://twitter.com/jamesbhawkins/status/856677637154123777

Greg Kampe is Oakland's coach and Bacari Alexander is Detroit's.

Good on Izzo & Beilein if so. Fear of helping in state teams recruit keeps a lot of logical series from happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've spent plenty of time making fun of KU for ducking Wichita State but honestly Missouri should at least be rotating through 1 or 2 of Missouri State/UMKC/SLU every year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

SLU refuses to play iirc

What exactly is the history that caused the entire city of St Louis to hate Mizzou? It must have been something that started while Norm was around.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apropos of nothing I just learned that John Chaney once won a D2 championship at a school called Cheney State.

Looked him up after I got reminded of when he stormed a press conference and threatened to kill John Calipari back when he was at UMass.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cholmondeley posted:

Knox to Kentucky.. I wish him well there.

Huh, I kinda stopped paying attention when Mizzou was out of things but I thought they were maybe even fourth behind Missouri according to most guessing sites at the time.

Better than Duke.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eltoasto posted:

It's been "Trust Matta, he built the team up from what he inherited" for a few years now and he will get fired after winning probably 8 games next season.

I mean it is kind of confusing. Like what happens to guys who take over kind of down programs, turn them into legitimate powerhouses (or at least pretty good and scary teams), and then turn them back into poo poo?

I guess OSU isn't completely poo poo yet, but they're trending down for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

After some speculation DePaul took the lead on Tilmon, he committed to Mizzou. Seems like things are set now for Mizzou (unless Jontay Porter reclassifies) and they should finish above .500 next year

Missouri had another transfer from Anderson's recruits too, redshirt freshman Jakoby Kemp, who....uh...must not have been very good since he's a big and Missouri was absolutely desperate for bigs last year. So if Jontay reclassifies they officially have space open for him.

It's weird, I don't even care if he comes this year or next (assuming he comes eventually). If he wants to try to build his name up with another year of AAU ball I have no problem with that at all, same if he wants to come play a year with his brother in college. Well I wouldn't have any problem with that at all on an actual human level anyway, but I mean just as a fan.

It's insane how quickly things have gone from abject horror when thinking about the Missouri basketball program to hope.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is a good read that I wouldn't have seen otherwise because BR, thanks for posting it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whoops, I missed it yesterday but Jontay Porter committed to Mizzou. Still no word on if he's reclassifying to 2017 or not, although he has some quotes out there that sure sound like he's going to do it.

Even without the younger Porter this might be Missouri's best recruiting class ever, and certainly is since Rivals really became a thing. If Jontay goes to 2017 they'll probably be top 5 in the nation, which is so utterly ridiculous after the Kim Anderson and Frank Haith years I can't even....just I have no words.

I mean Cuonzo will probably turn all of this into like a .500 team but things are different for sure.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 24, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sportsgenius86 posted:

anyone flight tracking Billy Donovan yet?

He probably wants out because who wouldn't want out with Westbrook and nothing, and probably nothing good coming. But what is he getting paid right now?

Haha, his wiki lists him as Ohio State's coach in the sidebar already.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

I'm really glad we managed to pull Archie before this happened.

What are the big names that are unhappy/fired who didn't move, if any?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kibner posted:

I'm just saying that making "loyalty" that high of a priority is a sure-fire way to get nothing but mediocre to bad coaches.

Kim Anderson was the truest son to ever true son at Mizzou.

I wish him well now that he's gone, but if he somehow ever got close to the job again I would be forced to hope he developed terrible health problems that made him quit coaching.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--It does seem like in June an interim assistant would be the right way to go. If you decide he's your guy hire him full time, if not re-asses at the end of the year.

Lessail posted:

It just leads to a fractured fanbase if the hire turns out mediocre or worse

This is also a good point. There are some (old, out of touch, insane) Missouri fans who believe Kim Anderson was on the right track. Kim, who had a .284 winning percentage in 3 years and managed to run off 11 or 12 scholarship players, most of which he recruited. But this faction still exists.

It's worth noting out of fairness that he didn't come into a good situation, but it still seems impossible to be bad enough for a loyalty hire to have the entire fan base behind getting rid of him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, if Jontay Porter reclassifies Missouri will have five players who are 6'10" or taller.

Last year they were super small by big time conference standards. Technically they had two 6'10 guys, but one of them tore up his knee early in the season and the other one was recovering from hip surgery all year. He played some, but you can tell he couldn't really move. So the bulk of the interior play was a 6'8" guy and a 6'7" guy.

But either way 5 of those guys is a lot by most any standards. They might even do things like rebound, which I've been told is a rare basketball play where your team get the ball after a missed basket.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

MPJ's little brother Jontay is reclassifying for this year so Mizzou's class gets even better

It was already probably the best class Mizzou's ever had.

Everyone's going to be so young and I don't trust Cuonzo to figure things out really fast like Cal does, but it will be nice to at least watch potentially very good players. And MPJ, who I'm sure will be very good no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh poo poo, Rollie Massimino died. Owner of the most bizarrely effective halftime speech ever.

Rollie posted:

“Do you think I want to be doing this?” Massimino erupted. “Do you think I want to be screaming at you? Do you bleepers really think I want to go to the Final Four? Listen, there’s much more to life than that.

“Do you know what I’d really rather be doing now than anything? Than being here in this room? I’ll tell you. I’d rather be at home, sitting behind a big, steaming, heaping plate of spags (spaghetti). Yeah, that’s right! Macaroni! Linguini with clam sauce! I’d rather be doing that than losing this drat game! Now get out there and do what got you here in the first place!”

This somehow worked.

• Locked thread