Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EvanTH posted:

I kinda doubt it since any truthful documentary would be evidence against the school

Tarkanian used to somewhat regularly go off on rants about golden era UCLA after he got in trouble for recruiting and I remember it being highly entertaining at least. Don't know how actually informative it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Steven Godfrey at SB Nation did one on football bagmen.

Here's a link to that in case Dejan would find it interesting.

I didn't read it again but aside from a few culture changes I'd imagine it'd mostly hold true for big time basketball recruiting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

Guessing that's floating the maximum to get the guy to plea and roll over on everyone else. This is going to be a long time shaking out.

Oh yeah that's definitely what's going on, but that's also why the feds are really loving good at getting people to roll over on everyone else. I agree this is going to go on for quite a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ch3cooh posted:

Employees of Nike EYBL have been subpoenaed.

The FBI is burning it to the ground

As a fan of a Nike school that suddenly pulled the greatest recruiting class in school history I'm :ohdear:ing all over the place right now. Although I don't think Mizzou's recruits came from that league possibly?

I follow AAU ball in that I know everyone who is good plays it and it's kind of scummy and absolutely nothing else about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hahaha, welp.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I'm just going to ask what's going through all of you good posters' mind and ask how hosed Kansas is going to be at the end of this.

Either every program in the country is hosed, or a bunch of nobodies are hosed and the blue bloods get away with it since they're better at cheating in this fashion imo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jesus Christ.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As a Missouri fan who was staring down sanctions and bad APR rates a few short years ago I have the perfect man in mind to see Louisville through this difficult time :v:

Oh god, the last three years, they did things to me man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

imo Kansas is guilty as hell

They're guilty of something even if it isn't this quite obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

But Kansas is definitely guilty of something. Just what it is or if it will ever get uncovered will have to wait for another day. So just keep hanging on, Missouri. Some day.

I'm calling for the FBI to start an investigation into toupee sales as we speak.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, not how I saw this coming about but cool?

I guess Hurricane relief broke Bill Self's cold, black heart.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

My last semester I had to have 12 hours to keep my scholarship but only needed 9 to graduate so I filled out the last 3 with golf, racquetball and archery

Missed opportunity with fencing imo. I still remember parry 4, parry 6, etc.

Give me a floppy needle sword and I'll poke your average guy to death, it's clearly an important life skill to develop.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Don't let anyone tell you Bill Self isn't the reason Mizzou/KU don't play for realsies:

I'm less excited about this than I was since there will apparently be no TV broadcast. Or internet streaming option. I feel like you could make a lot more money selling ads than just donating the gate to charity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

resident posted:

It seems like the kind of thing Self would show up for with 8 intramural champion "walk-ons", and not give a gently caress. I wouldn't allow any players that mattered to the regular season even touch the court given the background of the rivalry.

Eh, it's not like Jason Sutherland is going to come back and start running people over. There shouldn't be appreciably more chance of injury than there is in any inter-sqaud scrimmage.

Like, I agree it doesn't 'matter' in any way but if Self makes a mockery of things at an exhibition game, one he specifically set up for hurricane relief because he knows everyone in the world other than himself wants to see for real, he'll be a pretty big jackass. Well a bigger jackass than he currently is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's less than a half of a charity basketball game and it is meaningless as far as actually counting for anything (other than hurricane relief), but Missouri looks something like an actual NCAA D1 basketball team.

I'll take it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Game's getting away from them now but other than the obvious talent gap...er, gulf. Canyon, chasm, whatever between this year and last year for Missouri the most striking thing is how loving long this team is compared to last.

I think they've had as many offensive rebounds as they had in conference play last year. I exaggerate, but probably less than you'd think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fun game, let's do it again once Bill Self retires or there's another horrible disaster.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I hope the rebounding problems were an exhibition thing, probably were.

Like I mentioned Missouri is suddenly really big. Part of it might be exhibition/not having enough practice but that might be the tallest team you see this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Other random thoughts on Missouri from a meaningless exhibition game.

I thought Jeremiah Tilmon did some really great things when he was on the floor. He is also apparently going to foul out of every game sometime in the first half this year, in a charity game where the refs weren't exactly calling everything he managed to pick up 7 fouls (special rule for the game) in 13 minutes. I mean Jesus Christ.

The Porters did a lot of shooting, and it wasn't particularly great--a combined 10-32 from the floor. They did manage to fill up the stat sheet in other ways, a ton of boards and some assists/steals/blocks. Of course they might foul out a lot too, 4 fouls for each in 23 & 21 minutes of play. The most frustrating thing I saw was when KU went on that run Missouri had no plan other than MPJr playing hero ball, which I expect to see in real games and get pissed off about. Well it'll be awesome if it works, but even though he's great most of the time it probably won't.

Jordan Barnett is probably Missouri's best returning player and if yesterday was any indication he's going to enjoy not being the guy. He won't go 5-7 from 3 very often but he's going to be so much better as a complementary piece than trying to create on his own.

For the first time since the beginning of 2012 (well 2013 probably) I'm actually excited to watch this team play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So why doesn't Self want to play Missou. It can't be because he's afraid of losing?

He believes it will help Missouri recruit. Same reason he won't play Wichita State.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Nah, he's definitely scared of WSU

I mean I'll give him this much credit. He was refusing to play Wichita State long before they mattered.

In Self's perfect world KU is the only program in the region that matters. If KU somehow got into the Big 10 and K State didn't he'd drop them like a hot rock too. If he could get into the Big 10 on some weird clause that KU never had to play Nebraska of all unimportant teams he would go for it. It's an understandable but cutthroat approach.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

So we pretty much agree?

I'm not actually attacking Kansas or Self (well, he is cowardly, but he has his reasons), just saying that Self has no interest at all in regional rivalries and would kill all of them if he had the ability to do so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

(or is it Mizzou that doesn't want to play SLU?)

Supposedly it's SLU for some reason I've never understood? Like, it'd make a lot more sense in a rational world for Missouri not to want to play those games.

Not that a lot of Missouri coaches really wanted to play that game, it's just a weird thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess he's look at ISU and Xavier too.

What's Iowa State supposed to look like this year out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cyclones open at Mizzou. I think the non-con schedule is going to be rough, lots of young and new guys. Mike hope is that they just put it together by the time conference play comes. If they win tonight though, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic for the season.

Hell, this is the only reason I have any hope for Mizzou.

Someone make a GDT for all of us to whine in. I would but I've sworn off starting them because the last time I did it was that godawful Butler/UConn final.

• Locked thread