Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I see Georgia made the NIT with a potential game against Georgia Tech in the second round.

Georgia's games all end with the Bulldogs winning by two points (or fewer) or losing by 15. Maten's playing again, so they might be OK.

Georgia Tech always plays the opposite of what's expected of them. With Indiana a burning landfill right now, Tech must be very confused as to how to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

Hahah, Minnesota.

I knew the coach from the MTSU team that beat Kentucky in 1983 in the NCAA tournament.

I always pull for Middle Tennessee. Everyone should always pull for Middle Tennessee.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With so few great finishes tonight, I've been watching old ones on Youtube.

Al McGuire's call of James Forrest's prayer for Georgia Tech in 1992 is great.

Iowa State blowing a game to 15th seed Hampton in 2001.

Valparaiso misses miracle shot, bailed out anyway because Ole Miss can't make free throws.

Because I like watching Duke lose to Lehigh.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duke status: hosed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

I dunno if it's true because I don't follow it enough, but my pet theory is that when Summitt was around, there were at least two places for the top recruits to go to, so you had some semblance of competitive balance. Now UConn can cleanly cherry pick for their super team.

It sucks that C. Vivian Stringer is old and terrible now.

It's fun to look at the AIAW brackets from women's basketball began having national tournaments.

The first three were won by Immaculata and the fields featured a whole lot of smaller colleges.

Of course, it couldn't last as big programs had infinite more resources to throw at prospects, plus they were actually beginning to take the sport seriously.

The field was a lot more varied in the 1980s-mid 1990s, with Tennessee, LSU, Old Dominion, Georgia, UCLA, Louisiana Tech, Rutgers, NC State, Stanford, Oklahoma, etc. being viable competitors.

My own theory is that most of these colleges failed miserably at turning programs over to the next generation. Women's basketball has changed a whole lot since 2000, much less the 1985 that many of them are stuck in.

Andy Landers hung on way too long at Georgia and UGA, like others, lost a lot of momentum, then didn't make a strong hire. Louisiana Tech, albeit run on Victorian sensibilities in the 1980s-90s (sleeved jerseys), was still a major landing spot. Last thing you heard from them was the Tyler Summitt embarrassment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

gently caress UConn.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kiimo posted:

Of course these rankings change hilariously based on questionable motives. Like a four star will pick North Carolina and then the next ranking update comes around and oh hey wouldn't you know it that player is now a five star because basically a lot of these bigger programs evaluate talent better than an online journalist.

The ESPN ranking system is a little different than Scout or Rivals, they evaluate talent based on how they will perform as an NBA player as opposed to a college player. As an NBA fan that may be the one you want to pay the most attention to.

And of course they could all be wrong about a player, like Cliff Alexander. In that case stick to what MourningView thinks, he can sniff out the turds better than most.

Star rankings can be hilarious.

There's an ESPN 5-star guy that I've seen play a few times (I cover high school sports). His shot selection was horrendous. He thought he was a jump shooter at 6'9" and he wasn't. No presence on the boards at all despite being that height and 225 pounds. I doubt he'll make it off the bench in college, even with the mediocre SEC team he's currently committed to.

There are a couple more ESPN 4-star guys that I think got inflated because their districts aren't physical ones and the schools are big names. Both players were shut down completely because they couldn't handle any physical pressure at all.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Field level archeology.

We dug in the dirt for a semester. No quizzes or tests. We found a handful of arrowheads but nothing too exciting.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I still love the story that went along with the 1982 NCAA tournament.

Kentucky and Louisville had not played since a single game in 1959 (and before then, 1951). They had only played three times since 1922.

Being before the 64-team era, some schools had first round byes. Louisville was one of them. Lo and behold, Kentucky and Louisville were to meet in the second round of the tournament. All Kentucky had to do was knock off #11 Middle Tennessee.

This was a certainty. A guarantee. Tickets for the Louisville-Kentucky meeting were being scalped for $500.

Middle Tennessee won, 50-44.

Some fans tore up their tickets. They were worthless now. Who wanted to see Louisville and MTSU?

(And for good reason as MTSU was thrashed soundly.)

Kentucky and Louisville met in the 1983 NCAAs and have met at least once nearly every season since. But that first dream matchup was flattened by a team with a dude named Pancakes Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Georgia Tech is looking increasingly hosed as well, Pastner’s bagman tossed his toys out of the crib after not getting a birthday card.

Bell didn't even have to be a bagman for Jackson. He was recruited when Brian Gregory was there.

• Locked thread