Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wouldn't that be why you build in a huge poison pill if he leaves before the contract is up? I can see Mizzou spending the money on Marshall, but I seriously doubt he ends up in Columbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's an NAIA jersey to signify their greatest accomplishment

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

If Martin can actually recruit St. Louis this is a fine hire.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I guess with this contract length they can get a good gauge on what type of coach he's going to be before they need to start worrying about extending him. If he's consistently in the tourney after year 4, great, work on extending him. If he's only making the NIT, you can start looking at firing him around year 5.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

OK, was worried Mizzou would have more trouble recruiting St. Louis but I guess not anymore.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It would be great if Gottlieb didn't get the job and then also had to eat crow with Michael Porter Jr. going to Mizzou

quote:

Michael Porter Jr. asks out of National of Letter of Intent with Washington

Porter Jr. also confirmed his father had been offered a position on Cuonzo Martin’s staff at Missouri.

Because it's Mizzou and we can't have nice things, it probably won't happen, but still nice to think about.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lmao Pat Kelsey dipped on UMASS right before his introduction to stay at Winthrop.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I don't even know what to say. After three years of not giving a poo poo about Mizzou basketball, this is a strange feeling.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Khagan posted:

Did he come packaged with Jontay?

Not officially but you'd have to imagine Mizzou are the strong frontrunners for him.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

kiimo posted:

rear end in a top hat alarm

I think most people don't need that alarm with Frank Martin

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

There's no way Mizzou pulls Knox, but it's really funny to think that the fanbase has gone from not caring about the team at all under Kim Anderson to getting the #1 recruit and having another top 10 out of stater at least come visit

https://twitter.com/kevin_knox23/status/848277323761758209

I doubt it is an April Fool's thing since apparently MPJ was bugging him a ton to take a visit.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Time for him to fulfill his destiny and come to Columbia, MO.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Former 4* Washington commit Blake Harris is coming to Mizzou along with MPJ. MJG, Harris, and Kevin Knox all visited Mizzou this weekend, so it would be nice if they could somehow steal Knox away from Duke et al.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Saw that earlier and it's a good thing. I'd obviously love to steal Knox away from Duke (although I still doubt that happens) but I might be more excited about the possibility of Tillmon even if he isn't quite as good of a prospect.

I just want as few minutes for Reed Nikko and maybe Mitchell Smith if his knee heals as possible.

I assume Cullen Van Leer will become the "white guy off the bench" that Matt Lawrence was and he should have always been.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Nice comeback, Roy

quote:

Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I've spent plenty of time making fun of KU for ducking Wichita State but honestly Missouri should at least be rotating through 1 or 2 of Missouri State/UMKC/SLU every year.

SLU refuses to play iirc, they got SMS in football this year, and they got their asses kicked by UMKC under Kim Anderson.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

What exactly is the history that caused the entire city of St Louis to hate Mizzou? It must have been something that started while Norm was around.

They just don't want to play because they don't want Mizzou to get a foothold, which doesn't really make sense considering Columbia is less than 2 hours away. I don't know why Mizzou has issues recruiting STL though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I think Mizzou is probably out of the running for him at this point, but it was nice to seriously think about for a little.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

After some speculation DePaul took the lead on Tilmon, he committed to Mizzou. Seems like things are set now for Mizzou (unless Jontay Porter reclassifies) and they should finish above .500 next year

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Whoops, I missed it yesterday but Jontay Porter committed to Mizzou. Still no word on if he's reclassifying to 2017 or not, although he has some quotes out there that sure sound like he's going to do it.

Even without the younger Porter this might be Missouri's best recruiting class ever, and certainly is since Rivals really became a thing. If Jontay goes to 2017 they'll probably be top 5 in the nation, which is so utterly ridiculous after the Kim Anderson and Frank Haith years I can't even....just I have no words.

I mean Cuonzo will probably turn all of this into like a .500 team but things are different for sure.

A .500 team would be different for sure

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's truly a new era of Mizzou basketball

quote:

A 23-year-old (presumably former) University of Missouri employee drove his Volkswagen Passat through a gate outside Mizzou Arena early Sunday morning. According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the driver then somehow managed to steer said car onto the basketball court inside the arena, causing roughly $100,000 in damages.

According to the Dispatch, police officers determined that the damage was caused around 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning; they were called out to investigate three hours later. The current suspect, Nathaniel Conant, reportedly drove his vehicle through a gate on the arena’s south side before driving his car into the arena via its loading dock.

http://deadspin.com/police-mizzou-employee-causes-100-000-in-damages-whil-1796426975

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

MPJ's little brother Jontay is reclassifying for this year so Mizzou's class gets even better

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mizzou secured a 2018 commitment from former Ohio State commit Torrence Watson. That's nice on its own, but he's a St. Louis kid and it seems like Cuonzo Martin is finally doing what most Mizzou coaches have been unable to do: Pull in St. Louis recruits.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Looks like Mike Alden was playing the long game in hiring Kim Anderson baby

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Hahaha, welp.

It helps that the big gets are at least from the area (Porters and Tilmon). It also helps to do a totally legal bribe of hiring dad to be an assistant.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol Dickie V is such a naive brown-noser

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

imo Kansas is guilty as hell

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Don't let anyone tell you Bill Self isn't the reason Mizzou/KU don't play for realsies:

https://twitter.com/JayhawkSlant/status/918919477835780096

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Well, Michael Porter Jr. said he's playing to win. So I imagine he and Jontay will be leaving a lot on the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

kiimo posted:

KU would be forced to play MU by law if they were in the same state like UK and UL. UK wouldn't play Louisville either if they weren't forced to because it makes sense to do what is in the best interest of your program for recruiting and for footprint for out of conference games. There are only so many of them.

Personally I think we should play them because its fun but I don't really hold grudges. MU fans will say it's because Self is a chicken but that's really because there's no other argument that works. It definitely benefits MU to play Kansas and why should Kansas do them a favor at their own expense? Kindness?

If anyone outside of KC is confused by this I don't blame you. You kind of have to be from KC to understand the constant game of thrones going on between KU, MU and K-State.

Wichita State doesn't loving matter. gently caress those guys.

Missouri and Illinois manage to play a goddamn game every year and St. Louis is a much better recruiting area than KC. SLU, however, does refuse to play teams in the area (or is it Mizzou that doesn't want to play SLU?)

• Locked thread