Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CountFosco posted:

I care about Jewish critiques of Christian theology and take them seriously and give them due respect. My point is not that it inaccurately summarizes Judaism, my point is that the soul is something of value far greater than any particular body part. I mean, do you disagree with this?

The quote is saying that worrying about other people's soul is not productive because it is an incredibly personal matter. Feeding someone is universal regardless of religion.

To assume that you know what is best for a another person's soul is presumptive in a way that Judaism is not about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really that quote boils down to "imposing your own religion on someone is being a dick, don't be a dick." Nobody thinks you are a dick for feeding them when they are hungry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CountFosco posted:

You're jumping from caring about the souls of others to presuming that this same person has morality all figured out and is going to impose it on the world (presumably through domination?) for their own benefit. That's a leap. Caring about the future of others is caring about the future of others, and if other peoples' futures extend past death (which it may very well not) then one can care about that as well. One can care about the soul of one thinks is perfectly exemplary morally, because not being omniscient, we may not be correct about the moral exemplariness of such a person.

You can't ignore the historical implication that "caring about" the souls of others has. There's a long list of examples of people/government/institutions who have done horrible things in the name of saving people from eternal suffering or something along those lines. So there is a context there that needs to be taken into account, because Jews always take it into account, we can't afford not to.

Simply caring about the ultimate fate of another man's soul is one thing, but that's where it should begin and end. To go any further is to presume that you know more than the other man does, and that's being an arrogant jerk(in the best of times).

• Locked thread