Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Cool thread :) I like this kind of thread a lot, so thanks to anyone taking the time to answer any questions. Anyway, questions!

Have you personally experienced bias, discrimination or harassment due to being Jewish? In relation to that, do you feel that the area in which you live is generally an accepting, safe space for you to live?

What kind of perceptions do you personally have of Christians and Muslims, and what kind of general perception or stereotypes of Christians and Muslims do you feel like might exists within Judaism? Like, is there more of a kinship in terms of the shared framework that exists, or does the difference out-weight the shared reference and makes for more antagonism? I don't mean on a political-scale, but rather, like, do you feel as if you might have more in common with a Christian, Muslim or an atheist, or doesn't it matter?

If any particular strong perception or stereotypes exists of other religions or denominations, I'd be interested to hear of any.

Whether you practice Judaism, or not, is there any part of scripture that you have feel a particular strong connection to? If so, please share if possible.

If you happen to have a personal relation with the Book of Job, I'd like to hear what wisdom and beauty you may personally find in it. The Book of Job is interesting to hear about, I feel, because it is a relatively broadly-shared frame of reference that many people know of, but interpretation can vary wildly. I know that many Christians interprets the Book of Job as having a very messianic proponent, which is something I'd imagine might not be represented the same way in Judaism, or at least not as referencing to the coming of Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Thanks for answering questions, by the way :)

Another area of interest occurred to me, about to what extent your social and every-lives take place within the framework of a Jewish community, and whether these communities are divided more or less formally.

Like, do you have close personal friends and relatives who aren't Jewish or doesn't practice Judaism, or how far out on the family tree before anyone practicing Christianity or other religions appear?

If you are part of a Jewish community, does this extend to something like hobbies and sports largely taking place within that Jewish community? Like, is your rowing or chess club or whatever specifically Jewish, formally or informally? To the extent that these communities exists, do you chose or engage in them or to engage elsewhere?

Is it your experience that, within whatever Jewish communities you may be part of, that people, formally or informally, organize themselves or keep to social circles that are divided along the lines or practitioners of Judaism and secular Jews?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Thanks for the reply, that was interesting to me.

If people who live elsewhere, like in the US, and who may happen to practice Judaism, have a perspective on these questions that may differ from Chernabog's, then I'd be interested in hearing of those, too. Otherwise I'd probably take it as an experience that people feel can be fairly extrapolated to, more-or-less, describe how Jewish communities are organized in the US, too.

• Locked thread