Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh hey, a jewish thread, cool!

What's the deal with kabbalah? Is there an actual system of divination or magic hidden in jewish mysticism?

I used to be into hermetic magic, and most of the hermetic orders use the kabbalistic 'tree of life', citing it as the oldest and truest form of divine magic available to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just to be clear, I knew about the tenets and origins of judaism already, and did not mean to make light of either the faith itself or kabbala. I have a great deal of respect for divine mysticism, and would accept in a heartbeat if a rabbi would ever teach me some.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

if you have serious interest in kabbalah or Jewish mysticism in general, start reading the books of Gershom Scholem and Aryeh Kaplan, their work is good, clear, accessible, and very grounded in history and scripture.

Cool, thanks!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, you might as well ask why any faithful do anything related to their faith. Jews are actually rather ecumincal in the sense that anyone who converts are considered a true believer( may not apply in Israel, but that's a whole other :can: ).

Slightly off-topic, but I'd like to drop some stuff here by Rabbi Twerski, because I'm really into him, and he's one of the most amazing and entertaining jewish voices I've come across:

https://www.facebook.com/goalcast/videos/1309547322455788/?pnref=story

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well, judaism is one of the clearest examples of a religion of laws - so it seems pretty evident that it would be desirable for all people to do what your laws perceive are just things.

• Locked thread