Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

It definitely happens, though painkillers are naturally involved. Alternatively, Reform Judaism does not require circumcision.

Having been circumcised for medical reasons myself at the age of 13, I can tell you that the anaesthetic is a good thing, obviously, but it's still going to be an agonising few months of recovery. Anyone who does that for religious reasons has to be really into it, which is no doubt why ancient Judaism required it of converts (back in the days before any kind of anaesthetic and when there was a decent chance it'd kill you from infection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, the reason is to mark a man as someone who is a member of the covenant of Israel. Why they didn't pick something everyone would be able to see is an age old question.

Sure, but socially speaking requiring men to do something very painful to their dick to join said covenant seems a pretty good way of keeping your religious group/culture exclusive and preventing it being assimilated by others surrounding it.

Edit: Babylon, 500BC:

*Gentile meets pretty Jewish girl*

Oh this :byodame: seems super hot and she's kinda into me. Maybe we should get married?

Oh, she worships this god from Judea? Ok, that's fine, I can worship him too. Gods are a dime a dozen, right?

:gonk:Wait he wants me to do WHAT before we get married? gently caress this I'm outta here:gonk:

*Pretty Jewish girl later marries a nice Jewish boy who doesn't have to worry about any of this poo poo*

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 13, 2017

• Locked thread