Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is your opinion on t he Messianic aka Jews for Jesus movement? I recently researched it a bit and found it intriguing. It's not as monolithic or minor as I thought and is full of a huge assortment of disconnected sects that don't agree on a lot of things. But what I guess I'm asking is, do you brush them off as bad Christians and bad Jews? Some Jewish people seem very hostile to them.

I notice you call him "God." Why do some Jews I read type it as G-d? I know it is forbidden to say His Name but God isn't his name, right?

What would you suggest to someone interested in converting? Raised Christian here but never felt satisfied with some of its doctrines, like Hell. I hear this is a somewhat touchy subject for Jewish scholars/theologians but you guys definitely don't have Devil who is out there trying to make us suffer for all eternity. Conservative has always sounded the most appealing to me as it combines more modern societal values with a spiritual and rule-bound life.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Very mixed. I don't inherently see a problem with the philosophy of using Jewish tradition in a Christian church. I wouldn't really call them Jews though. Where my ire comes from is that some will try and use it as a "Gateway" to get Jews to come to Christianity, though I can't say how well that works, seems it'd be pretty easy to spot the motive there.

There's a couple layers to that, the reason some Jews will say G-d is it's the logical conclusion to the idea that you're not supposed to say His name in a disrespectful way, which leads some to say anything but prayer is disrespectful use of His name. Some care, some don't. I'm actually trying to be better about it but sometimes I forget, I'm not going to change it now.

as for His Name that's complicated, the Bible has dozens of names for Him based on different aspects of Him. The most common you'll hear is Adonai or Hashem. You sometimes hear YHWH but few Jews are actually going to use that. YHWH was a name meant to only be used by the high priests, in private, on Yom Kippur. We have no idea what the vowels even are because ancient Hebrew writing doesn't HAVE vowels, people just "knew" what the vowels were.

Adonai is the more common name but some Orthodox still think it's disrespectful to use it outside of prayer so they'll use Hashem which literally just means "His Name"

I'm a conservative Jew and conservative owns. It gets a lot of flack for being a "middle ground" but I think preserving the ancient practices is super important, while still modernizing the faith at the same time. It's usually a few years behind reform in social advancement (e.g. women rabbis and gay clergy) and I wish it wasn't but you take what you can get.

As for converting the best answer is just go to a service. Even though temples have memberships, you're allowed to just show up and no one will stop you. Afterwards talk to the Rabbi and they can help you out.

Exactly. It is precisely that middle ground that makes it appealing to me. Extremism, be it towards liberalism or conservatism, is rarely the answer.

Thank you for your prompt response. I've been really nervous about going to synagogue because I don't know a word of Hebrew. I'd be thrilled to learn but the language is so important in scripture and the commentaries that I feel like I'd appear as incredibly ignorant, even if I knew the Tanakh by heart. (which I don't. I'm going through the JPS Bible which I hope is acceptable. Christian denominations are very peculiar about their Bible translations and I have no idea how strict Jews are)

• Locked thread