Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Gentile here, I've got a mezuzah question. I am a renter in a duplex, and I noticed today that some of the "main" doorways in the building have mezuzah cases on them. However, the rest of the main doorways have really obvious outlines and nail-holes that indicate they previously had mezuzah cases on them, but don't any more. I asked one of my roommates and they said that they think the previous owners of the building were Jewish.

If it turns out that my landlord and the rest of my fellow tenants aren't Jewish, is there anything I should do about the mezuzahs or the "missing" ones? I can't find anything online that gives any kind of rabbi-approved, definitive answer about this issue. I know that different branches of Judaism and different rabbis would probably give different answers, but any pointers to good information would be helpful. I just want to be respectful and I don't know if I should leave them, give them to a local Jewish community, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, I know that the special part is the scroll, and that there are certain rules for how to create and install the scroll/case. This is also why I ask, because I know that there are also rules to follow once they are installed. I like the idea of "returning" them to a local Jewish community, especially if that means they can be re-used.

I should note that these cases (and any potential scrolls inside) might be considered the property of my landlord, so I would have to run it by him first. Also I didn't pry either of the cases off the wall so I don't know if they even still have scrolls inside.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread