Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

I just fundamentally disagree with this. What would you rather have: your soul or your stomach? You can only choose one.

are you even jewish cause if not who cares if you agree with it, if that quotation summarizes judaism it summarizes judaism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

I care about Jewish critiques of Christian theology and take them seriously and give them due respect. My point is not that it inaccurately summarizes Judaism, my point is that the soul is something of value far greater than any particular body part. I mean, do you disagree with this?

dude i'm buddhist we don't believe in souls

also also you're not talking critiques seriously if you constantly debate what they should believe! if you want to have a discussion with someone who's not your religion you can't constantly be telling them they're wrong when they've telling you WHAT they believe! that's a debate, not a discussion, and all it does is reinforce your own worldview while completely dismissing what the other person is saying. if you want to understand judaism you can't constantly critique it on the basis of christian theology, and it's only when you understand judaism that you can begin the process of critique, which might never take place. but right now all you're doing is essentially accusing jews of not following christian principles, which yeah duh. it's a bad discussion to be involved in AND read

• Locked thread