Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CountFosco posted:

What is the purpose of these rules? If the rules are a tool for a better happier life, than why not preach them to the gentile? if they're mere irrational tradition, why hold to them?

Your vision of Judaism not concerning itself with the practices of the gentiles does not conform to my own experience with Jewish people and historical Jewish thought. If you see your neighbor worshiping a false God, one that teaches actual ethical malpractice, does one not have a moral imperative to speak up? If my neighbor were a Christian Scientist, and didn't allow his/her children to go to a doctor, you can be assured that I'll say something. Respectfully, to be sure, but a righteous man cannot let wickedness flourish unopposed.

I think the general explanation is that these are the rules, and you follow them because that's what you do. It's like asking "why do you follow the rules of English grammar but do not insist that Spanish speakers do the same?". The Jewish Law is not universal, it's just for Jews.

Followers of Judaism will probably interfere when their neighbors do something really unethical, much like anyone else. It's just that "breaking Jewish Law" is not in itself a problem if the neighbor is not a Jew. I think the Talmud has a bunch of rules dealing with gentiles, but afaik they're mostly limited to Jew-gentile interactions, and do not deal with correcting what gentiles do to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Since it's been brought up, I'd like to know what the Jewish take is on the afterlife. I once listened to some radio essay about it, and from what I recall:
Judaism in biblical times didn't really have a concept of the afterlife, if anything they had Gehenna, which is sort of like limbo in that it's just a boring place without punishments or rewards. Then in medieval times the more esoteric strains of Judaism had some belief in reincarnation, while others adopted a heaven/hell model or didn't believe in an afterlife at all.

Overall the afterlife is much less important in Judaism as compared to the other Abrahamic faiths, which is weird all things considered. After all, you'd expect the branches to be similar to the tree.

So, what's your experience with this? Is it talked about? What would a typical believer of your tradition expect to happen after they die?

• Locked thread