Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On another forum I used to frequent, there was an Orthodox Jewish poster with a thread just like this. I seem to remember him very much despising popular Kabbalah for bastardizing such an important part of Judaism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I had a few instances in mind, myself.

IIRC this Jewish poster very specifically hated... I want to say Yehuda Berg? But this was years ago, and that thread is long gone.

(And in searching Berg's name, I found out he ran the Kabbalah Center, and was sued for sexual assault in 2014, so yeah, it probably was him.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Here's I think one way a lot of Jews see it: it's hard enough to make sure you as an individual are following the laws in your own life. Harder still to be sure of your family, let alone your particular branch of the Jewish community, let alone the Jewish community as a whole. You aren't going to have the time and competence to make sure your own house is in order and also be concerned about whatever laws the gentiles are following.

Another way that some Jews deal with this is by turning to political/social activism rather than religious evangelization per se.
That Orthodox Jewish poster I mentioned earlier? His signature was a paraphrase of the following quote from Rabbi Yisroel Salanter, which seems to express what you're saying pretty well (and has affected my thinking, even though I'm not Jewish):

"A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach."

RagnarokAngel posted:

I legit think you're asking interesting questions, but I think trying to argue thousands of years of philisophical and religious debate with a couple out of context bible quotes is not really the answer. Jews aren't biblical literalists, for one thing. I'm not a Rabbi so I'm going to claim to be on the up and up about every little thing, but the continuing interpretation via Midrash is more important than just what one line out of the Bible says.
To build off of this, about how accessible would the Talmud and/or Midrash be to the average Jewish person? I don't just mean how easy they are to find (my local college library has plenty of both in translation), but how much a non-rabbi might be expected to study on their own.

• Locked thread