Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

vintagepurple posted:

I'm a convert and no offense but I'd like to see more jewish thought in here and less running circles with countfosco.

EDIT: also if you want to ask me about being a convert feel free. I'm reform technically but I tend to lean more towards conservative in practice. Before you ask, I was circumcised as a baby gentile. The hardest part is explaining kosher to my family, but since I eat a lot like a vegan anyway it's not a huge stretch to just refuse meat or dairy at holidays/restaurants.

Would you consider doing an orthodox conversion to doubledown on being a "real Jew"/"halakhically Jewish" if it were demanded by the family of a potential spouse, so that your children would be considered Jewish by most streams and communities. :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Earwicker posted:

That's not just a conversion issue, a lot of orthodox don't really see reform Judaism as "valid" converted or not.

but yeah the only time I can see a family demanding orthodox conversion is if that family is orthodox themselves. most conservative or reform families are not going to care about being accepted by the hasidic communities

Hasidim are haredim, not just orthodox. Modern Orthodox communities that can also be surprisingly bad about the inclusion of converts and the children of people that did not complete orthodox conversions.

Please also never forget that Chabad are ultra-orthodox.

Cuddly Tumblemumps fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 19, 2017

• Locked thread