Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am a Buddhist but this month marks my first year working full time at a large Jewish assisted living facility. I've had very little exposure to Jewish practices and culture before so this has been kind of a crash course, as the facility is very observant of Jewish practices and is strictly kosher etc.

I started in culinary before transitioning to my current administrative position so my question is about keeping kosher. We keep two separate industrial kitchens in my facility as well as using separate silverware and dishes for serving meat or dairy. I've heard that this is both far beyond what kosher law actually calls for as well as being a relatively recent practice. Beyond kosher law itself, where did these relatively recent practices come from and why?

I can also answer some questions pertaining to how our facility runs things if anyone is interested in that. It's the only one in my state and one of the most prominent in the region AFAIK, and we provide homes and services for a lot of elderly Jewish people, many of whom were refugees from Europe or Holocaust survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread