Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

We started at the Kai Monastery and our destination, Holmgard, is roughly southeast of there, so going northeast seems like a dumb idea. Let's go straight east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
East, and also there was an update at the bottom of the previous page.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

The east argument sounds convincing.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tiggum posted:

We started at the Kai Monastery and our destination, Holmgard, is roughly southeast of there, so going northeast seems like a dumb idea. Let's go straight east.

I'm glad someone's paying attention, otherwise I would've gone for NE! But I concur with East.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
East it is!

Page 113 posted:

If you wish to head northeast, turn to 347.

If you wish to head east, turn to 295.

Page 295 posted:

You have continued your journey for about fifteen minutes when suddenly a black arrow whistles past your head and embeds itself in a tree. Instinctively you duck and draw your weapon.

If you wish to remain where you are in order to try to spot the hidden archer, turn to 185.

If you wish to run for the cover of denser undergrowth, turn to 92.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Run

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

''If you wish to stand still while an archer has a perfect shot on you...''

Run!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

How is the one game version on Steam, anyhow? I was thinking of trying it.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yup, the archer already has a bead on us. Run for it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Cheese it!

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Combat is a lot of fun, but it also makes up like 90% of the game. It's very linear, with most choices being 'how to approach the next unavoidable fight' (which to be fair is the road taken by the latest books, sadly). I still loved it though.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Run

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Run, Forrest Lone Wolf! Run!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Page 295 posted:

If you wish to remain where you are in order to try to spot the hidden archer, turn to 185.

If you wish to run for the cover of denser undergrowth, turn to 92.

Page 92 posted:

You dive for cover not a moment too soon, for a hail of black arrows scream out of the woods and bombard the area where you were standing seconds before. Pulling your cloak around you to blend into the dense bracken, you dash through the forest and away from the hidden ambushers as fast as possible. This entire area is infested by Giaks and you must escape as quickly as you can. You run without rest for over an hour until you happen to fall upon a straight forest path heading towards the east. You follow the path, taking care to keep watch for signs of the enemy.

Turn to 13.

Page 13 posted:

The path soon ends at a large clearing. In the centre of the clearing is a tree much taller and wider than any others you have seen in the forest.

Looking up through the massive branches you can see a large treehouse some twenty-five to thirty feet above the ground. There is no ladder, but the gnarled bark of the tree offers many footholds.

If you wish to climb the tree and search the treehouse, turn to 307.

If you would rather press on, turn to 213.

In general, if a choice is between 'loot' and 'don't loot', I'll choose the 'loot' option for you. I won't railroad you into danger, though, and I'll occasionally ask you just to make you paranoid make sure you don't know there's trouble when I do ask.

Page 307 posted:

Your climb is swift and easy. It reminds you of the many trees that you climbed and explored near Toran as a child, when you wanted to pick fruit or to look out over the beautiful countryside of Sommerlund.

Pushing open the treehouse door, you see an old hermit huddled in the corner of the small cabin. A look of great relief spreads across his face as he recognizes your green Kai cloak. He tells you that this area is full of Giaks, and that he has counted over forty Kraan flying over his home in the last three hours. They were heading east.

He scurries over to a cupboard and returns with a plate of fresh fruit. You thank him and place the fruit in your Backpack. There is enough for one Meal. The hermit also produces a fine Warhammer and lays it upon a table by the door. ‘Your need is greater than mine, Kai Lord,’ he says. ‘Please take this trusty Warhammer if you so wish.’

You may take this Weapon only if you exchange it for another Weapon already in your possession, for it is the only defence that the hermit has against the enemy.

Thanking the old man, you carefully descend the tree and continue on your mission.

Turn to 213.

For now, the weapon is going into our quantum equipment. I'll explain how to extract it when we reach our first fight.

Page 213 posted:

You have been trudging through the forest for nearly two hours. The nagging fear that you are lost begins to seem a reality. Apart from the occasional cry of a Kraan in the far distance, you have seen or heard no evidence that the enemy is in this part of the forest. As you descend a rocky hillock, you see something unusual in the tangled woods ahead.

Turn to 331.

Page 331 posted:

Surrounded by thorny briars and closely packed roots, you see the entrance of a tunnel disappearing into the hillside beyond. It is approximately seven feet in height and just over ten feet wide. As you get closer, you can feel a slight breeze coming from the inky blackness. If the other end of this tunnel emerges on the far side of the hill, it could save you many hours of difficult climbing. But it could also harbour unknown danger.

If you wish to enter the tunnel, turn to 170.

If you would prefer to climb the hillside, turn to 280.

Hey there! Glad you could finally make it.

Re-encountering Goofus was inevitable at this point; the only way to avoid this page is to either take the right path on Page 1 or take the southern path immediately after on Page 141.

I bet you're dying to know what happened while you were off being a nobody. Lemme fill you in...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So right off the bat, I knew where I was headed: to get the most fights! I could have gotten two fights in before getting here a bunch of different ways, but the way I chose has something very special. Lemme tell you all about it...

Page 1 posted:

At the foot of the hill, the path splits into two directions, both leading into a large wood.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 141.

If you wish to take the right path into the wood, turn to 85.

If you wish to follow the left track, turn to 275.

Page 275 posted:

You have followed this twisting track for about twenty minutes when you hear the beating of wings high above the trees. Looking up you see a large Kraan approaching from the north, its huge black wings casting a gigantic shadow on the trees below.

On its back are two creatures armed with long spears. They are Mountain Giaks—small ugly creatures full of hatred and malice. Many centuries ago, their ancestors were used by the Darklords to build the infernal city of Helgedad, which lies in the volcanic wastelands beyond the Durncrag mountain range. The construction of the city was long and torturous, and only the strongest of the creatures survived the heat and poisonous atmosphere of Helgedad.

Quickly you dive for the shelter of a large fern tree as the Kraan passes overhead. With heart pounding, you pray that your quick reactions have saved you from being spotted.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0–4, turn to 345.

If the number is 5–9, turn to 74.

Pssh. I wasn't scared. But I wanted 'em to see me.

Page 74 posted:

The Kraan and its riders land on the track barely ten feet from where you are hidden.

The Giaks leap from the scaly backs of the Kraan and move towards you, their spears raised to strike. You have been seen.

If you decide to fight them, turn to 138.

If you decide to run deeper into the forest without delay, turn to 281.

If I'd ran my butt off here, I'd have bumped into you a lot sooner. Of course, I wasn't going to.

Page 138 posted:

You prepare your weapon and advance to meet the enemy. There are two Mountain Giaks and you must fight them one at a time.

Giak 1: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 10

Giak 2: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 10

If you win, turn to 291.

Combat Analysis posted:

Probability of victory: 100%.
Probabilities of remaining EP:
  • 13+: 100.00%
  • 14+: 99.99%
  • 15+: 99.93%
  • 16+: 99.73%
  • 17+: 99.27%
  • 18+: 98.42%
  • 19+: 97.10%
  • 20+: 95.03%
  • 21+: 91.83%
  • 22+: 86.61%
  • 23+: 79.51%
  • 24+: 70.02%
  • 25+: 60.76% (median)
  • 26+: 49.60%
  • 27+: 40.20%
  • 28+: 24.00%
  • 29+: 16.00% 100%, 'cuz that's how Goofus rolls!

(Incidentally, if he had the relevant Weaponskill or Mindblast, his worst remaining EP would be 15, with a median of 26. If he had both, his worst EP would be 17 and his median 27.)

Page 291 posted:

The two Giaks lie at your feet, their bodies twisted and lifeless. A quick search reveals 6 Gold Crowns, 2 Spears, and a Dagger.

You may keep the Gold and take either the Dagger or a Spear. Remember to mark this on your Action Chart.

The Kraan flew off during your battle, and the track is now deserted. You adjust your Backpack and continue your mission.

Turn to 272.

Page 272 posted:

Keeping a watchful eye on the sky above, you move quickly along the track. You recall that this route leads to Fogwood, a small cluster of huts that have been used by a family of charcoal burners for nearly fifty years. After twenty minutes you reach the edge of a clearing where the huts are grouped in a small circle. There is no sign of the usual mist of wood smoke which gives Fogwood its apt name, and the huts are unusually quiet.

If you have the Kai Discipline of Tracking, you may turn to 134.

If you do not possess this skill, you prepare your weapon and stealthily approach the huts. Turn to 305.

If our Lone Wolf had Tracking or had gone the other way when Tracking was called for, we'd have met Goofus here.

Page 305 posted:

Through the open doorway of the first hut, you can see the body of a charcoal burner lying face down on the rough stone floor. He has been murdered, stabbed in the back by a spear. All his furniture and belongings have been smashed and broken and not one piece remains intact.

This is the evil handiwork of Giaks without any doubt, for they delight in the destruction of all things. A quick check of the other huts reveals a similar story of murder and wreckage. In the last hut that you search, you discover a Giak Spear—proof of your suspicions. You may keep this Weapon if you wish.

More determined than ever now to succeed in your mission, you continue along the track.

Turn to 105.

Sweet. I'm keeping this.

Page 105 posted:

In the distance, perched on the branch of an old oak tree is a jet-black raven.

If you have the Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship, you may call to this bird by turning to 298.

If you do not possess this skill, or if you do not wish to use it, turn to 335.

Pff. Talking to animals is lame.

Page 335 posted:

As you approach, the black bird flies off above the trees and soon disappears from view. You search the tree on which it was perched but find nothing unusual. Rather than waste any more precious time, you continue off along the track.

Turn to 121.

Page 121 posted:

After a few minutes walking you see a stranger, clad in red, standing in the centre of the track ahead. He has his back towards you, and his head is covered by the hood of his robes. Perched on his outstretched arm is the black raven that you saw earlier.

If you wish to call the stranger, turn to 342.

If you wish to approach the stranger cautiously, turn to 309.

If you would rather draw your weapon and attack, turn to 283.

But enough about me. What do you think I did next?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 15, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Also, since having picked up a weapon at the monastery wouldn't be very useful for Goofus, who barely needs weapons, I've removed them from his quantum equipment. Which of the remaining items is most useful remains to be seen, but will probably be either the meals or the money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

I didn't care for it at all. I found it confusing and hard to play.

FredMSloniker posted:

But enough about me. What do you think I did next?
If he's aiming for the most fights, I guess it would make sense to attack?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I guess approach cautiously because this guy is an instadeath hellbeast not worth his time.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Goofus wouldn't attack a total stranger without engaging in trash talk first. Call out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Not calling it yet; just wanted to mention that I found a bug in my program to calculate combat results, so I've updated the info in my previous post accordingly. (Generally speaking, I was underestimating success across the board.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Added Space posted:

I guess approach cautiously because this guy is an instadeath hellbeast not worth his time.

If this is what you think I did, then...

Page 309 posted:

You have taken less than ten paces when the raven squawks a warning to the stranger. Turning to face you, the robed creature utters a piercing screech that freezes your blood and grips your stomach with fear and panic. It is a Vordak, a lieutenant of the Darklords and one of the undead. Within seconds, a host of Giaks appear at its side and attack you. You fight bravely but you are greatly outnumbered.

The last thing you remember is the icy grasp of the Vordak’s skeletal fingers as they close around your throat.

Your life and your mission end here.

You... blew... the call!

Funnily enough, the more careless and the more violent options are both fine, though the fight you get for calling out is slightly harder. And since Goofus routinely makes poor decisions...

Page 121 posted:

If you wish to call the stranger, turn to 342.

If you wish to approach the stranger cautiously, turn to 309.

If you would rather draw your weapon and attack, turn to 283.

Page 342 posted:

As your voice echoes through the trees, the stranger slowly turns to face you. Your heart pounds and your blood freezes as you realize that the stranger is not human. It is a Vordak, a hideous lieutenant of the Darklords and one of the undead. A piercing scream fills your ears, and the creature raises a huge black mace above its head and charges at you. Frozen with horror, you can also feel the Vordak attacking you with the force of its mind.

Deduct 2 points from your COMBAT SKILL unless you have the Kai Discipline of Mindshield. You must fight this creature. It is immune to Mindblast.

Vordak: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 26

If you win, turn to 123.

At this point, we have to decide a few things about Goofus. For instance, we need to know if he has Mindshield. I'm going to say he doesn't for Reasons. We also need to know if he has Weaponskill. Given that it's not all that useful for him, I'm going to let him make the poor decision of taking it, but the lucky roll of having it for Sword, which will turn out to be the best choice, also for Reasons. Which means it doesn't apply in this fight, and he's 'only' at CS 17 for this fight.

Combat Analysis posted:

Probability of victory: 98.94%.
  • 0+: 100.00%
  • 1+: 98.94%
  • 2+: 98.53%
  • 3+: 98.15%
  • 4+: 97.80%
  • 5+: 97.43%
  • 6+: 96.43%
  • 7+: 94.40%
  • 8+: 92.19%
  • 9+: 90.23%
  • 10+: 88.46%
  • 11+: 87.02%
  • 12+: 85.05%
  • 13+: 80.07%
  • 14+: 73.28%
  • 15+: 67.22%
  • 16+: 62.08%
  • 17+: 57.90%
  • 18+: 54.96% (median)
  • 19+: 49.86%
  • 20+: 40.19%
  • 21+: 30.85%
  • 22+: 23.79%
  • 23+: 18.34%
  • 24+: 14.73%
  • 25+: 12.66%
  • 26+: 8.70%
  • 27+: 5.00%
  • 28+: 2.00%
  • 29+: 0.80% 100.00%

Page 123 posted:

As the creature dies, its body slowly dissolves into a vile green liquid. You notice that all of the grass and the plants beneath the smoking fluid are beginning to shrivel and die. A large valuable looking Gem lies on the ground near to the decaying body.

Further along the track you can see a large war party of Giaks running towards you.

If you wish to take the Gem, turn to 304.

If you would rather leave it and run, turn to 2.

Now that's why I came this way. Sweet, sweet loot.

Page 304 posted:

The Gem feels incredibly hot and burns your hand. Lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

You quickly pick it up with the edge of your Kai cloak and slip this Vordak Gem into your Backpack. A Gem that size must be worth hundreds of Crowns. But the Giaks are very close and their arrows whistle past your head as you turn and run for the safety of the forest.

Turn to 2.

And stupid, stupid decisions. But we'll see why stupid later.

Page 2 posted:

As you dash through the thickening trees, the shouts of the Giaks begin to fade behind you. You have nearly outdistanced them completely, when you crash headlong into a tangle of low branches.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If you have picked a number 0–4, turn to 343.

If you have picked a number 5–9, turn to 276.

Page 276 posted:

Reaching for your weapon you manage to hack your way through the tangle of wood and twisted branches to the clearer forest beyond. Your cloak is torn in several places and your right leg is badly bruised above the knee.

Lose 1 ENDURANCE point and turn to 213.

Going the other way would cost one more EP.

Page 213 posted:

You have been trudging through the forest for nearly two hours. The nagging fear that you are lost begins to seem a reality. Apart from the occasional cry of a Kraan in the far distance, you have seen or heard no evidence that the enemy is in this part of the forest. As you descend a rocky hillock, you see something unusual in the tangled woods ahead.

Turn to 331.

Page 331 posted:

Surrounded by thorny briars and closely packed roots, you see the entrance of a tunnel disappearing into the hillside beyond. It is approximately seven feet in height and just over ten feet wide. As you get closer, you can feel a slight breeze coming from the inky blackness. If the other end of this tunnel emerges on the far side of the hill, it could save you many hours of difficult climbing. But it could also harbour unknown danger.

And that's where I met up with you. So which way are you gonna go?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 15, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Enter the tunnel. what's the worst that could happen?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Spend hours climbing a hill, or go inside for a while? No contest. Enter the tunnel.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Into the dark scary hole.

How "hard" a fight is the Vordak, relative to other enemies you're likely to run into?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

How "hard" a fight is the Vordak, relative to other enemies you're likely to run into?

In this book? Combat Skill ranges from 5 (essentially a tutorial fight, the Giak who attacked Banedon) to 20 (an as-yet unencountered enemy; Goofus will attack it, natch). The average is somewhere around 14 or 15. (It's hard to say for sure because some fights are mutually exclusive, and some of those are just variants on the same opponent, plus some of them have Mindblast and/or Mindshield.) Endurance ranges from 6 (but with a nasty gimmick) to 90 (the sum of four opponents you have to fight on a single page, with an average CS of 14). The average is somewhere around 20 or 21, subject to the same caveat. So the Vordak is an above-average fight. It can, however, be avoided without needing a specific Discipline, by avoiding the first fight Goofus had.

Anyway.

Page 331 posted:

Fine, you scrub. See you on the other side.

Page 280 posted:

As you begin your climb, you hear the beat of wings approaching from the west. Kraan! By the noise they are making you estimate there are at least ten, perhaps more. You curse your bad luck, for the hillside offers no cover from the sky. If you are attacked during this difficult climb, you will find it nearly impossible to fight back and remain upright at the same time.

If you decide to draw your weapon and remain completely still, in the hope that the Kraan will not spot you, turn to 327.

If you decide to quickly descend the hillside and take cover in the tunnel, turn to 170.

Pff. Not turning back now.

Page 327 posted:

Within a few minutes, you can see the Kraan hovering over a hilltop behind you. At a quick count you can make out at least sixteen of these horrible creatures, each of which has at least two Giaks riding upon its back. They are armed with long spears and wear tall pointed helmets of dull bronze. You hear the excited grunts of the Giaks. They have spotted you.

You jump for the entrance of the tunnel some twenty-five feet below, but your boot gets caught in a thorny briar and you hang helplessly upside down—weaponless and vulnerable. Fortunately for you the end is swift: As the first Giak lance pierces your heart, death is instantaneous.

Your life and your mission end here.

...on second thought, there might be something cool in the tunnel. Yeah.

Page 280 posted:

If you decide to draw your weapon and remain completely still, in the hope that the Kraan will not spot you, turn to 327.

If you decide to quickly descend the hillside and take cover in the tunnel, turn to 170.

Page 170 posted:

The tunnel is dark and the air is much cooler than outside. You carefully advance with one hand on the tunnel wall to aid your sense of direction. You have been in total darkness for three minutes when you detect the foul smell of decay ahead, similar to rotting meat. If you have a Torch and Tinderbox in your Pack, you may light the Torch to see your way ahead.

Suddenly, something heavy drops from the tunnel ceiling onto your back and you fall to your knees. It is a Burrowcrawler and you must fight it, for it is trying to strangle you with its long slimy tentacles.

Burrowcrawler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 7

If you do not have a torch, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL during this fight. The Burrowcrawler is immune to Mindblast and Animal Kinship.

If you win, turn to 319.

We missed our chance to have collected a torch when we went east instead of northeast after collecting those Meals of Laumspur. That said, we do have one advantage here that Goofus does not. Weaponskill is actually useful for us, and we've had the opportunity to collect seven of the nine weapon types, which means that there's a good chance it'll be useful here if we take it.

Also, I dunno why it notes that the Burrowcrawler is immune to Animal Kinship, as that Discipline doesn't do anything combat-wise unless the text says it does. Maybe Dever planned to have it give a bonus when fighting animals at some point? I dunno.

Also also, while running the numbers in the combat simulator, I realized that always rolling a 6 actually gives our Lone Wolf worse results than the median! The way the Combat Results Table is arranged, a high roll helps you more than a low roll hurts you. So, to represent him having better-than-average luck, he will now get the 60th percentile result (i.e., the best result that's at least 40% probable), which I'll mark in the combat analysis.

Speaking of which, here's the short version of the analysis: without Weaponskill or a Torch, our Lone Wolf would have a 98.47% chance of success, with a median remaining EP of 18 and a 60th percentile result of 20. With a relevant Weaponskill, that becomes a 99.90% chance of success, a median remaining EP of 20, and a 60th percentile result of 23. With that in mind, should we take Weaponskill or not? (Keep in mind that Weaponskill has a 20% chance of being for Dagger or Short Sword, which won't help us in this fight, but if we don't take it now, we can't until the next book!)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

With the random weapon selection I normally feel like Weaponskill is a less likely bet than Mindblast, but given the special rules we're operating under here I'd have to say it seems like a good choice at this point. Jigi kor tukor-ogg odzik jigi kor zutgaz-zutag. Take weaponskill.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stay in flux it sounds like we need neither weapon nor skill right now.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
No Weaponskill just yet, as we're good on healing so taking a bit of damage isn't usually a big deal.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Stay in flux it sounds like we need neither weapon nor skill right now.

We can't stay in flux; whether or not our Lone Wolf has Weaponskill impacts this fight. We'd be deciding on Mindblast too, except the Burrowcrawler is immune to it.

I'll draw the raffle in the morning, but I'll note that I've just finished working out Goofus's path through the second book, and in order to keep him from avoiding pain, I'm declaring right now that he does not have Sixth Sense.

E: Gallant also does not have Sixth Sense, for reasons I'll discuss when we get there. Let's just say the next book is a little hard on him.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 15, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

All right. I rolled the die, and Tiggum's post was chosen, so our Lone Wolf has Weaponskill. I then rolled another die, and determined that it's Weaponskill (Sword). Which leads us to another decision.

In order to take advantage of that Weaponskill in this fight, we need to have a Sword. Now, we can have a Sword, but in order to do so, we'd have had to find it in the monastery ruins. That means we have two choices at this point:
  • We can decide that we did find one. That means our quantum items mostly go away, and we have a Sword and either an Axe or a Warhammer. (That part stays quantum, but also largely irrelevant.)
  • We can decide that we didn't find one. That means our Weaponskill doesn't apply here, and it means removing the Sword from our quantum items, but nothing else changes.
So here's the question. Do we want a Sword or not? Refer to the character sheet on the first page to help make your decision.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

We'll have plenty of time to use swords, no need to cheat one in quite yet. No sword.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
No point in getting the weaponskill if we're not benefiting from it! Get Sword

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
An army just got slaughtered, there are swords all over. Pass

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm going to throw in a left-field vote for having the starter item be a Chainmail waistcoat. It's pretty much the best find possible but we're unlikely to reach a point that demands we have it when we consistently roll slightly above average.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm going to throw in a left-field vote for having the starter item be a Chainmail waistcoat. It's pretty much the best find possible but we're unlikely to reach a point that demands we have it when we consistently roll slightly above average.

Going to echo this, frankly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Aerdan posted:

Going to echo this, frankly.

Huh. Well, I wasn't expecting folks to want to do that, but I'll allow it! I'm not at my computer right now, so if you want to specify a specific piece of gear other than the Sword for us to have here, you have an hour or two to do so. You can, of course, still ask for 'Sword' or 'no Sword'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

No more entries in the raffle? Fair enough. Lemme just draw one... aaand Added Space decides we didn't find a Sword at the monastery. We can still retroactively find any of the other items when they're useful. Now let's fight!

Finally.

Page 170 posted:

Burrowcrawler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 7

If you do not have a torch, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL during this fight. The Burrowcrawler is immune to Mindblast and Animal Kinship.

If you win, turn to 319.

Combat Analysis posted:

Probability of victory: 98.47%.
  • 1+: 98.47%
  • 2+: 98.31%
  • 3+: 98.16%
  • 4+: 97.56%
  • 5+: 96.12%
  • 6+: 94.76%
  • 7+: 93.90%
  • 8+: 93.22%
  • 9+: 92.64%
  • 10+: 91.20%
  • 11+: 86.80%
  • 12+: 82.40%
  • 13+: 79.60%
  • 14+: 77.20%
  • 15+: 75.20%
  • 16+: 72.80%
  • 17+: 64.00%
  • 18+: 54.00% (median)
  • 19+: 48.00%
  • 20+: 41.00% (us)
  • 21+: 36.00%
  • 22+: 32.00%
  • 23+: 30.00%
  • 25+: 20.00%

So our Lone Wolf defeats the Burrowcrawler with 17 EP remaining. (Goofus, naturally, comes out without a scratch.) e: I goofed; we actually survive with 20 EP.

Page 319 posted:

The slimy creature lets out a long, ghastly death-cry and collapses. You are near to panic and scramble to your feet, grabbing what you think to be your belt from the jaws of the dead beast. You can see light in the far distance, and you sprint for it as fast as you can. When you finally emerge into the daylight, you fall onto the leafy ground and fight for breath in painful gasps.

Slowly sitting upright, you notice that you are still wearing your belt—you had not lost it after all. What you grabbed from the jaw of the Burrowcrawler was a leather strap with a small pouch and a sheathed Dagger halfway along it. You break open the clasp to find it contains 20 Gold Crowns. You may take both the Dagger and the Crowns if you are able to.

Feeling a little better now, you gather your Equipment together and push on eastwards into the forest.

Turn to 157.

Sticking that Dagger in the quantum weapon pile in case someone wants it later.

Page 157 posted:

The forest begins to thin out until finally you can make out a road through the trees ahead. The highway is full of people heading south. Many are wheeling their possessions along on handcarts.

If you wish to join the refugees and perhaps learn more of what has happened in the north, turn to 30.

If you would prefer to continue to move south but under cover of the trees, turn to 167.

Gallant! You made it! I'm surprised you're in one piece.

My journey was rather quiet, actually.

Incidentally, there is no one page, other than the first and last (obviously), you need to visit in this book. It's surprisingly non-railroady, especially compared to later books. There are a couple of ways we could have avoided this page, and when we're done I'll mention the interesting bits thereof. For right now, though, let's catch up with Gallant.

If you insist.

Page 1 posted:

At the foot of the hill, the path splits into two directions, both leading into a large wood.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 141.

If you wish to take the right path into the wood, turn to 85.

If you wish to follow the left track, turn to 275.

Page 85 posted:

The path is wide and leads straight into thick undergrowth. The trees are tall here and unusually quiet. You walk for over a mile when suddenly you hear the beating of large wings directly above you. Looking up, you are shocked to see the sinister black outline of a Kraan diving to attack you.

If you draw your weapon and prepare to fight, turn to 229.

If you evade the attack by running south, deeper into the forest, turn to 99.

Page 99 posted:

You dive into the undergrowth just as the beast screams past your head. You quickly look back to see the Kraan turning in the air in preparation for another dive. You scramble to your feet and run deeper into the safety of the forest.

Turn to 222.

Page 222 posted:

As you go on you discover a forest path that divides at the point you join it.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 67.

If you wish to take the south fork, turn to 140.

If you wish to take the east fork, turn to 252.

Using Tracking just tells Gallant to go east. The other path is a bit longer, so I'll show it off.

Page 140 posted:

You are in a clearing where several trees have been cut down to make a rickety watchtower. Below the tower are three paths leading off in different directions.

If you take the south path, turn to 14.

If you take the east path, turn to 252.

If you take the southwest path, turn to 215.

If you decide to climb the watchtower, turn to 36.

Gallant can't successfully climb the watchtower because luck is involved. The other routes all wind up at the same place eventually; I'll show off the longest.

Page 215 posted:

You emerge into a small clearing. In the centre you see the skeletal remains of a large animal. To the south a narrow track leads off into the distance.

If you wish to examine the skeleton, turn to 346.

If you would rather press on, turn to 14.

Page 346 posted:

Lodged deep in the rib cage of the skeleton is a Spear. It is in good condition and you may take it if you wish and are able to.

To leave the clearing, turn to 14.

I don't need a Spear, but you might if you were journeying this way.

Page 14 posted:

You reach the top of a small wooded hill on which several large boulders form a rough circle. Suddenly you hear a loud growl from behind a rock to your left.

If you wish to draw your weapon and prepare to fight, turn to 43.

If you would rather take evasive action by running as fast as you can over the hill, turn to 106.

Page 106 posted:

Eventually you come to the edge of a fast-flowing icy stream. The white water cascades over the mossy rocks and disappears towards the east.

If you wish to follow the stream to the east, turn to 263.

If you would rather explore upstream, turn to 334.

Still following the longer path...

Page 263 posted:

Carefully, you follow the stream as it makes its way towards the east. Suddenly you notice something in the distance that brings you to a halt.

Lying in the rushing water like a great black dam is a dead Kraan. You creep nearer, under cover of the foliage, until you see three arrows deep in the beast’s chest. Trapped beneath the beast is the body of its rider. It is a Giak, a spiteful and malicious servant of the Darklords. Many centuries ago, their ancestors were used by the Darklords to build the infernal city of Helgedad, which lies in the volcanic wastelands beyond the Durncrag range of mountains. The construction of the city was a long and torturous nightmare, and only the strongest Giaks survived the heat and poisonous atmospheres of Helgedad. This creature is a descendant of these Giak slaves. It seems that this one must have drowned. The Giak’s pouch contains 3 Gold Crowns. (You may take these if you wish.)

You may continue downstream, by turning to 70.

Or you may leave the stream and make your way on foot through the wooded hills to the south by turning to 157.

...and getting a bit of loot along the way.

Page 70 posted:

You have reached a small bridge. A track follows the stream towards the east. A much narrower path disappears into thick forest towards the south.

If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 8.

If you wish to go east, turn to 28.

If you wish to go south, turn to 157.

I'm going to show off page 8, just because I think it's funny:

Page 8 posted:

Your Kai Sixth Sense warns there is a fierce battle raging in the south. Your common sense tells you that the south is also the quickest route to the capital.

Turn to 70 and choose your route.

...and that's how I got here. Now what will we do?

Well, I dunno about you, but I'm gonna go bug those refugees. I have a feeling I'll get into a fight.

I don't know about fighting, but maybe I can help the refugees another way. Lead on.

So what'll it be, folks? Follow Goofus and Gallant or head into the forest?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 17, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, and since I forgot to mention it, we healed up to 19 EP.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Let's ditch these nerds.

Let's see more of the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a pretty great gimmick run, I have to say.

Dunno about our chances in a forest without Tracking, but let's head south into the forest anyway.

• Locked thread